Student 55555
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I want to apply to oxbridge. How important are gcses? I got good (one 9, two 8s, one 6, rest 7s) not great grades. Are these good enough?
framstutz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
They are taken into account, but yours seem pretty strong and if you have a good personal statement and A-Level results you should be fine with them. Good luck
Scotney
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Student 55555)
I want to apply to oxbridge. How important are gcses? I got good (one 9, two 8s, one 6, rest 7s) not great grades. Are these good enough?
They are fine grades. What subject!
2500_2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Cambridge say
There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.
Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE (7 is considered equivalent to an A in the new grading structure; and 8 and 9 is considered equivalent to an A*). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of As/A*s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.
Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.

BUT they do want you to be curious enough to be capable of looking at their website yourself...
Student 55555
Rep:
?
Cheers everyone
Student 55555
Rep:
?
(Original post by Scotney)
They are fine grades. What subject!
PBS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (52)
60.47%
No (34)
39.53%

Watched Threads