The Student Room Group

A PlayLiszt of my Year 13 Experiences

Cello There!
(I'm really trying with the music puns ok:nopity:)

I only joined TSR a few days ago (no, seriously, go check my profile) so I'm new to all this. I've been browsing the Grow Your Grades section(?) for a while now and after organising my school files and folders after four weeks of Year 13, I'm now prepared to start my own GYG blog. In this thread, you can all observe me making a fool out of myself as I embark on this classical music pun journey... and this educational and aspiring-to-be-productive journey.:chaplin:

Honestly, I really question why I didn't sign up years ago (especially considering my whole studyblr/studygram pursuits in secondary school). I mean, look at all these animated emoticons!! :pee: I guess I was just, Haydn.

Since nobody on here actually knows me yet, I'll introduce myself. My name's Eia (pronounced Ee-ya), I live in England and I'm in Year 13, the last year of college and the year when I apply to university... So this, my friends, is my first ever GYG and for the 2019/2020 academic year. Good luck to everyone doing exams this year!

A Levels

Spoiler

Grades

Our college warned us before exams that the grade that we got in the mocks would determine our UCAS grade and that we wouldn't be able to retake. Depending on the leniency of the department, you could ask to increase your UCAS grades. For example, in Physics, they increased your UCAS grade if you were either 1-2 marks away from the grade above in the mock or if you did significantly better throughout the year. I was pretty happy with my final Physics grade since it fluctuated a bit in Year 12 and it was the subject that I struggled most with. I was lowkey annoyed with my final Economics grade because I'd run out of time in the exam and I'd been sustaining an A* throughout the year which sucked. Ah well, it's the reality of exams and I can't change the outcome in the real thing :afraid:

Spoiler

UCAS Track

The universities are in order of preference! I wanted to choose universities with a range of entry requirements

Spoiler

GCSEs

For all the nosy people out there

Spoiler

Whenever I preview this post, new lines show up in my spoiler boxes so I guess I'll find out whether or not I can edit threads post-posting if you get what I mean. I will see you all soon :biggrin: Let's all hope that I don't forget about this blog and that I update frequently. I will be Bach! :five:

(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bachtostudying

Cello There!

I only joined TSR a few days ago (no, seriously, go check my profile) so I'm new to all this. I've been browsing the Grow Your Grades section(?) for a while now and after organising my school files and folders after four weeks of Year 13, I'm now prepared to start my own GYG blog. In this thread, you can all observe me making a fool out of myself as I embark on this classical music pun journey... and this educational and aspiring-to-be-productive journey.:chaplin:

Honestly, I really question why I didn't sign up years ago (especially considering my whole studyblr/studygram pursuits in secondary school). I mean, look at all these animated emoticons!! :pee: I guess I was just, Haydn.

Since nobody on here actually knows me yet, I'll introduce myself. My name's Eia (pronounced Ee-ya), I live in England and I'm in Year 13, the last year of college and the year when I apply to university... So this, my friends, is my first ever GYG and for the 2019/2020 academic year. Good luck to everyone doing exams this year!

A Levels

Spoiler

Grades

Our college warned us before exams that the grade that we got in the mocks would determine our UCAS grade and that we wouldn't be able to retake. Depending on the leniency of the department, you could ask to increase your UCAS grades. For example, in Physics, they increased your UCAS grade if you were either 1-2 marks away from the grade above in the mock or if you did significantly better throughout the year. I was pretty happy with my final Physics grade since it fluctuated a bit in Year 12 and it was the subject that I struggled most with. I was lowkey annoyed with my final Economics grade because I'd run out of time in the exam and I'd been sustaining an A* throughout the year which sucked. Ah well, it's the reality of exams and I can't change the outcome in the real thing :afraid:

Spoiler

UCAS Track

The universities are in order of preference! I wanted to choose universities with a range of entry requirements

Spoiler

GCSEs

Spoiler

Whenever I preview this post, new lines show up in my spoiler boxes so I guess I'll find out whether or not I can edit threads post-posting if you get what I mean. I will see you all soon :biggrin: Let's all hope that I don't forget about this blog and that I update frequently. I will be Bach! :five:

Really good first post (loving the puns btw) - I’m also new which explains why this is underlined and I can’t get it off haha
Original post by Freyaire
Really good first post (loving the puns btw) - I’m also new which explains why this is underlined and I can’t get it off haha

Ohmygosh haha

Don't worry, we'll get the hang of it soon! (Side note: There should be an underline button somewhere... :hmmmm2:)
Ohmygosh haha

Don't worry, we'll get the hang of it soon! (Side note: There should be an underline button somewhere... :hmmmm2:)

Ahh sorry just realised you do have a GYG and I commented sorry I’m such a scatter brain!
Original post by Freyaire
Ahh sorry just realised you do have a GYG and I commented sorry I’m such a scatter brain!

No no it's ok! When you read my username, just remember that I'm the person with the music puns lol
I. Can I Handel the Pressure?
(That is the question...)

I've spent about two hours practising my (ever so beautiful) cello. This is my way of procrastinating. This is how I avoid schoolwork :noway:
I have a music exam in December which is stressing me out because it's around the same time as our mocks. I can't sight-read to save my life either so I'm really praying I make some progress from now until December hahaha. There's just too many things to balance - work, school, extracurriculars, and my 18th birthday's coming up soon (oh dear, I also need to plan that). Luckily, I have no more university open days to go to and my UCAS application has been sent and is now in the hands of my college. I thought after writing my personal statement I'd be stress-free but nOOoOo.

I have a small Economics test tomorrow too, and I mean, small. I should really be revising instead of typing up this post but how else am I supposed to keep this GYG alive?
Ok, that's all for now. I really should be revising.
No no it's ok! When you read my username, just remember that I'm the person with the music puns lol

Will do!
Reply 7
Good luck with this stuff! I'd like to come along for the ride!
Original post by Tolgarda
Good luck with this stuff! I'd like to come along for the ride!

Thank you for hopping along! Hopefully, the next stop won't be 'The Depths Of Failing My Exams' :tongue:
II. Exams, More Exams, Even More Exams!

I have a physics and maths test next week... Honestly, exams are the main downside of education. I'm starting to feel the weight and pressure of the second year of A Levels. Year 1 was ok - I could just go with the flow and it'd be alright but I can't say the same for the second year :ahee:
I also work on Wednesdays and the weekends and recently, my manager is trying to get me to come in earlier (at 6 am!!) on Wednesdays. She asked if I could do that for this week but I don't think I can physically wake up so early since I have to come into school afterwards too. I said that I couldn't so now she's asking me to come in at 6:30, I- :bhangra:
In the end, I said yes because it's only half an hour before the time I was scheduled for anyway. Also, three out of the four of my lessons this Thursday are cancelled because of a teacher strike (Yes!!!) so I come in later. Hopefully the other lesson is cancelled too but knowing my teacher, I don't think he would bother to strike.
Hello fellow year 13! :dance:
Original post by emilynxlan
Hello fellow year 13! :dance:

Hello there! :danceboy:
III. UCAS Update!

My UCAS application was finally sent off to all my university choices today eek! (Lowkey scared I won't get accepted anywhere haha) It just feels so real now - I'll be off to university next year. Damn, I wonder what my life will be like this time next year, after doing all of my exams and receiving my A Level results oh dear :argh:

I also have a couple of tests next week... Physics on Monday, Further Maths on Tuesday and Maths on Thursday. Wish me luck!
III. UCAS Update!

My UCAS application was finally sent off to all my university choices today eek! (Lowkey scared I won't get accepted anywhere haha) It just feels so real now - I'll be off to university next year. Damn, I wonder what my life will be like this time next year, after doing all of my exams and receiving my A Level results oh dear :argh:

I also have a couple of tests next week... Physics on Monday, Further Maths on Tuesday and Maths on Thursday. Wish me luck!

Mine would’ve been sent away this week too if I was applying! Good luck with your tests angel ❤️
Original post by emilynxlan
Mine would’ve been sent away this week too if I was applying! Good luck with your tests angel ❤️

Thank you! <3
IV. UCAS Track Update!!

I got my first few offers from Leeds and York today! Eek! This is so exciting :thumbsup: (I updated the UCAS Track section at the start of this thread which I'll quote below this post too if you're too lazy to scroll up but then you'd have to scroll your lazy a*ses down so...)

I had my Physics and AS Further Maths tests at the beginning of this week. I'm not going to say anything because I don't want to jinx it lol. I have my Maths test tomorrow too (which I didn't revise a lot for ><|||). Honestly, at this point, I'm finding maths harder than AS FM :colonhash: Next week is our half term holiday though! (Probably/Most likely/Will be going to have to practice for my cello exam in December :boing:)

Cello There!

A Levels

Spoiler

Grades

Spoiler

UCAS Track

Spoiler

GCSEs

Spoiler

V. In A Bit of Treble

Yesterday, I got a (very extra!!) letter from York. The envelope was a thick black card with the imprint saying "You are exceptional" in all caps. Inside, was a letter inviting me to one of their visit days and a golden ticket congratulating me. It felt like some sort of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory moment lmao.

In other university news, I emailed University of Edinburgh a few days ago asking if I could change my application to second year entry in which I recieved a reply back from them yesterday. They said they had it under review and decided that second year entry for their Informatics courses would no longer be available :headfire: I was

Spoiler

I don't mind not having a placement year, though I would definitely prefer it, but I really don't want to do their first year. It's basically sixth form/college for a whole other year. It means I'd graduate a year later from my peers and I'd have to pay an extra £9,250 and an extra year of maintenance loans. I love Edinburgh so so much and it's my first choice but why should I go when I could do the same course at a different university in England :s-smilie:

Now I'm not sure what I should do...
I LOVe THE PUNS!! (i'm feeling especially pleased when i know who the musicians are:biggrin:)
we're doing almost the same a-levels- i started year 12 with the same subjects as you but dropped econ at the end of last year:wink:
that letter from york sounds hilarious:lol:
good luck with everything:hugs:
Original post by Toastiekid
I LOVe THE PUNS!! (i'm feeling especially pleased when i know who the musicians are:biggrin:)
we're doing almost the same a-levels- i started year 12 with the same subjects as you but dropped econ at the end of last year:wink:
that letter from york sounds hilarious:lol:
good luck with everything:hugs:

Thank you for appreciating the puns! :clap2: (and for reading through this mess of a GYG blog haha)
Aw no! I'm really enjoying econ this year, especially since I now have a better understanding of the vocabulary in this year's General Election and the consequences of each party's manifestos. How are you finding the second year of maths and physics?
Thanks sm and good luck to you too! :heart:
Thank you for appreciating the puns! :clap2: (and for reading through this mess of a GYG blog haha)
Aw no! I'm really enjoying econ this year, especially since I now have a better understanding of the vocabulary in this year's General Election and the consequences of each party's manifestos. How are you finding the second year of maths and physics?
Thanks sm and good luck to you too! :heart:

no problem:laugh:
i really loved econ:cry: i wish i could do it for another year (but my school is weird so we have to drop it after as exams:frown:), definitely agree on the politics front; i read the news now and i'm like hold up, this is econ!
they're really interesting and good fun (though pretty challenging!), you?
:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest