The Student Room Group

breastfeeding, a threat?

I saw a discussion on tv earlier today and there was a man there that was against breastfeeding cause it was something that made the society less equal. And I don’t understand, I mean women and men should have the same rights but men can’t breastfeed and even though there are substitutes available I don’t see how breastfeeding is a threat toward an equal society?! Do feminist think that as well? Breastfeeding isn’t a rule (like at some work places men and women have different salaries for the same job) created in a way to undermine womens position in the society, its just like that. now that other options are available will the society be more equal if women stop breastfeeding?
Reply 1
lol...the man must be mad in the head.
Reply 2
As men don't have the same ability to reach the same productivity as the women would there is no way of comparing them and seeing if they are equal.
If men could breastfeed as easily as women then I can see a basis for an argument, but it is genetically the women that has this ability, and so for the man to do it would be sillyness.
Babies only tend to make an attachment to one person for the first couple of months, they need the person to be constant and the one that looks after them, being the primary care giver. After this they can interact easier and make attachments with others, but this is only after the first relationship has been made. When all men can breastfeed on demand for a baby the argument will be valid.
It is certainly not a threat. If it was I wonder how this person would react to Fathers4Justice.
Reply 4
Next there will be guys getting mad because they can't give birth.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
NONONONONOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

men CAN breastfeed!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/milkmen.htm

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_700634.html

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
in africa its commonplace!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Reply 6
Moncal
Next there will be guys getting mad because they can't give birth.

*flashbacks from Life of Brian*

You must respect his right to wish to be able to have babies... (or somesuch)
Reply 7
egad another threat! :eek: quick call the mariens! :biggrin:

seriously every1 thinks EVERYTHING is a threat these days....

whats next? oxygen? :rolleyes:
Reply 8
_EMMA_
I saw a discussion on tv earlier today and there was a man there that was against breastfeeding cause it was something that made the society less equal. And I don’t understand, I mean women and men should have the same rights but men can’t breastfeed and even though there are substitutes available I don’t see how breastfeeding is a threat toward an equal society?! Do feminist think that as well? Breastfeeding isn’t a rule (like at some work places men and women have different salaries for the same job) created in a way to undermine womens position in the society, its just like that. now that other options are available will the society be more equal if women stop breastfeeding?

I didn't see this so maybe I'm missing a few points that would help me understand this man's argument better. Otherwise it sounds a bit ridiculous. First off, breastfeeding is necessary to the health of a baby. Breastfeeding aids development and has been linked to higher intelligence, a stronger immune system and fewer food allergies.
What he may be against is the fact that breastfeeding is one of the largest, most important means that a baby bonds with it's mother and a father is missing out on this. Sorry that's biology and it's better for the baby so he should accept it. A father is still able to bond with a child in many other ways.

Maybe he's jealous that with the new tolerance laws women are allowed to breast feed in public and there is growing acceptance to exposing a breast in public for this purpose. Maybe he would like the chance to be allowed to expose himself as well. :rolleyes:

I think the man is more concerned about the fact that it's one of the lingering things that prevent us from looking at a man as essential of a parent as a mother is to a child. If a woman doesn't breastfeed then she is equal to a man in her capabilities. Breastfeeding is technically the only thing a man can't do for a child.

It's an interesting argument if you look at custody cases. Why do we consider women to be the more essential, necessary parent? If she doesn't breastfeed the child or the child is old enough that it's been weaned why does the woman overwhelmingly get primary care of the child?
Reply 9
katiesado
It's an interesting argument if you look at custody cases. Why do we consider women to be the more essential, necessary parent? If she doesn't breastfeed the child or the child is old enough that it's been weaned why does the woman overwhelmingly get primary care of the child?

i agree, i think that breastfeeding is necessary.

i don't know why it is like this. but do we always consider the mother to be the more essentila parent? i mean now days the fathers can also have 'maternity leave' (don't know the name when fathers are home with the children) maybe it goes back to the old times when women where home and took care of the children.

i think that the man partly meant (my own interpretation) that men and women would be more equal if women stoped breastfeeding, because they now can with all the substitutes available.
Reply 10
_EMMA_

i don't know why it is like this. but do we always consider the mother to be the more essentila parent? i mean now days the fathers can also have 'maternity leave' (don't know the name when fathers are home with the children) maybe it goes back to the old times when women where home and took care of the children.

i think that the man partly meant (my own interpretation) that men and women would be more equal if women stoped breastfeeding, because they now can with all the substitutes available.

The concept of the mother/child bond is deeply rooted- almost supernatural. It goes so far back in the history of mankind: it's been idolized and explored as an artistic/essential theme in art since prehistory, societies have been formed around it and religions are based on it. It's impossible to extract that idea from our belief systems with a bit of half-hearted legislation in recent years. Paternity leave is a start, a reflection that in our minds we're moving in the direction of believing that mothers and fathers are equally necessary to a child's development. We have a long way to go before it's an essential idea in our society. But the idea that by stopping breastfeeding isn't in the best interest of the child (as powders and supplements are hardly as good as the direct nutrients breast milk provides). I will concede that he may be right that discontinuing breastfeeding would take away some of the mysticism that breastfeeding gives to the mother/child bond, making a father's role seemingly unnecessary.

Latest