Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    I filled in some form the other day, sent it off and there was £240 in my bank yesterday, quality!
    thats ace!! I wish i got that much too!! do u get £30 a week or something??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tribi18)
    thats ace!! I wish i got that much too!! do u get £30 a week or something??
    yeh it must be £30 because i got paid for the last 7-8 weeks all at once.

and I heard theres a £100 christmas bonus or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chats)
    yeh it must be £30 because i got paid for the last 7-8 weeks all at once.

and I heard theres a £100 christmas bonus or something
    Yeah, if you make progress with your course, you can get up to £500 bonuses over the 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    College is very different to school.
    I was supplied with all exercise books, it was a local school I could walk, most, possibly all of my texts books were supplied for free.
    At college, I buy all my paper and the folders I use, It's 6 miles away from me, too far to walk, and over £50 a month buspass, Text books are not supplied, only one of my film books cost £20 and I should have a few different ones. I also have to buy study texts for my coursework, going to cost me £30-50 so far.
    Obviously some of my costs are dependant on my subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharleeB)
    i dont. people from poorer backgrounds have just as much right to go to school as anyone else. the bill for books and travel can add up to hundreds of pounds, and thats not including lunch or trips or anything extra. i dont get EMA, but i think that its a brilliant idea!
    If you live far away, you get free travel, you don't need to buy any books (welcome to the library), you get free meal tickets. The EMA is just to make sure everyone can get pissed after school. So pointless.

ReputationRep:
    goldenbarnes, not from Wigan are you (won't be offended if you don't reply).

Heard that is where it was trialed, and I know one or two from down there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    If you live far away, you get free travel, you don't need to buy any books (welcome to the library), you get free meal tickets. The EMA is just to make sure everyone can get pissed after school. So pointless.
    Er no. Travel to my 6th form cost me £1.30 for a tram, 40p for the bus, and then 80p for the bus back. I received no money to buy food. Which I spent about £2 on per day. = £4.50 per day = £22.50 per week, I received £18 EMA per week, which saved me having to earn the money with a part time job, which allowed me to focus on studies, which allowed to me to progress to a decent uni, which will allow me to give back to society in all sorts of ways

ReputationRep:
    Nope.
    I have to live about another mile away to get free travel. But I am at the end of a bus route (well 3 stops away from the end, it would take about 10 minutes to walk from the last stop to home.)
    It can take over an hour to get to college in rush hour.
    As for the library, it's usefull for some things but there are only a few books there and a lot more students. Most of the books are also overnight loan or reference only. This makes it difficult when revising, added with everyone getting the books out for the same reason as well. It not being open on weekends would be difficult as well.
    Not everyone gets free meal tickets, I'm not even sure if my college have them. You can recieve EMA and not be entitled to free meals.

I spend about £13 a week on transport, £7-9 on food.
    Up to £23 a week without stationary.

ReputationRep:
    The library that everyone in your school/college has access to, the library where anyone can get the book out, the library where at the most there's only 3 copies of the same book, which if there's 30 people doing the same course as you, who all want the same book, it isn't too great. You mean that library?
    I'd prefer to buy the damn book and be able to have my own copy, make notes in it, etc. Plus, you get to actually keep it for longer than 6 weeks...

I don't get free travel, it costs me £20 a week (ish) to go to 6th form, that's including food, and transport, not including books or other stationary. Add on top of that the expense of art trips that cost anywhere between £5 and £30 in my case, since Italy is out of the question for me (EMA doesn't quite cover the expense of £400 to go there) and I'm left with very little money to buy booze with, which I wouldn't do anyway, since I'm saving for a laptop.

So all in all, not pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Authorized absences are fine. It's only if your attendance is below i think it's 97% (but it might be 95%) then you don't get the bonuses. Well, that's how it is at my school anyway, it may be different at your college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    Er no. Travel to my 6th form cost me £1.30 for a tram, 40p for the bus, and then 80p for the bus back. I received no money to buy food. Which I spent about £2 on per day. = £4.50 per day = £22.50 per week, I received £18 EMA per week, which saved me having to earn the money with a part time job, which allowed me to focus on studies, which allowed to me to progress to a decent uni, which will allow me to give back to society in all sorts of ways

alex you lazy *******, it's not like its impossible to do a levels and have a job is it

and what is it with you all. take your own sandwiches dammit, it's not difficult. everyone in my school who took it managed to do art A-level just fine without expensive trips.

alternatively, complain to sainsburys until they give you enough vouchers to eat for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    i should add you get free transport to college from most places in my area.

ReputationRep:
    Not true. I live with a single parent on a low income and was refused free travel as I "chose" to go to a grammar school (and sixth form) rather than the one locally they offered me. I live just under 10 miles away from my school. I also don't quilify for free meals because my mom works, even though it's on a low wage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LizzyLizzy)
    Hi , if like me you get EMA payments you may be able to help me. (EMA-education maintanence allowence). I'm feeling really sick today and wonder if i'll be wellm enough to go to college tommorow. I've had 100% attendance so far? Will i still get my money if i get my mum to ring the college and tell them i'm sick?
    if you have any idea.. please post x
    hiya yeah if ur mum rings up and u also take a note ur EMA wont be affected i dont suppose u take health and social care do you?? or knows anyone who might be able 2 help me?
    love bex x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scared_newbie)
    whos Ema? does she post on here?

ian
    lol EMA is money people get for goin to school or college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexi lou)
    hiya yeah if ur mum rings up and u also take a note ur EMA wont be affected i dont suppose u take health and social care do you?? or knows anyone who might be able 2 help me?
    love bex x
    i do! how can i help?

jo

ReputationRep:
    Ithink everyone who goes to college should get it, i think its a good idea but is so unfair. I dont get anything as both my parents work and earn more than 15 grand each, which i think is reasonable, its not rich though. I wish they could afford to give me 30 quid a week but they cant, so i have to work instead, which gets in my way. eg-i had an exam today work yday work tonight and exam tomorrow. Also this bonus rubbish for doing your exams and attended school, what about the rest of us who have 100% attendance and get As in our exams. Its not nice for the small few of us in our school who dont get it Plus when i go to uni dont know how ill get on, wont get any help with tuition fees and get the minimum loan, even thouygh my parents cant afford to give me money! This country encourages people to go on the dole and rewards those who do!

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.