harv7y
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Im in year 11 i got mocks in a week all I can think about is my phone, if I didn't have it still get distracted with something else. I dont know what to do. I always get distracted and cant concentrate on any revising at all. I need some help/advice. Thanks
The-judge-16
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Just know my friend that you are not the only one, I couldn’t concentrate at all throughout my GCSEs, all I could think about was silly things like video games and TV programmes. Try your best to set a revision timetable for yourself and try to keep to it. Good luck with everything.
harv7y
Rep:
?
(Original post by The-judge-16)
Just know my friend that you are not the only one, I couldn’t concentrate at all throughout my GCSEs, all I could think about was silly things like video games and TV programmes. Try your best to set a revision timetable for yourself and try to keep to it. Good luck with everything.
Thanks, will try too make a revision time table but their is so much to revise I dont know what too. Do you think I could benefit from deleting social media?
The-judge-16
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes, I eventually did that too. 😂
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by harv7y)
Do you think I could benefit from deleting social media?
Everybody would benefit from deleting social media.

On the revision front, make a list of topics or subjects that you need to revise, and just go through them one at a time. It can all seem very daunting when your revision to do list is just a big mass in front of you, so break it down and take things in turn. In terms of your phone, if you don't have the self discipline to just not use it, give it to someone else in the house while you revise and tell them that they can't give it back to you until a certain time. Find that you still use social media on your laptop/computer/tablet etc? Get the other person in the house to change the password on the router or just unplug it and put it somewhere. This may all sound drastic, but mobile phones and social media are literally designed to make you spend more time on them, and their accessibility is a big part of that. You can do small things to remove that accessibility, such as removing the apps from your phone, but you can also just remove those items from your reach entirely. And you'll probably find that it does wonders for your concentration instantly. Try it and see how you get on.
HaruhiSuoh
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
try doing most or all your homework at school so when you come back home you can completely focus on revision and you won't give yourself excuses that your homework counts as revision and that you need a break. Also if u need the internet use a device other than your phone- like a laptop or something and start with the easiest subjects then the hardest last so you won't get bored or try doing your least favourite subject revision first and then your favourite last so that by the end you won't stop because you will be enjoying it. this actually works for me might be different for others
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I find I can concentration on academic work best when I remove myself from my usual environment e.g. my bedroom/house.

If I make the effort to walk to the Uni library then I feel more of a need to actually achieve something while I'm there. Ta-da I've actually got some work done.

I wrote my entire dissertation in the uni library (admittedly I stayed until 9pm some days) and only proof-read it at my student house/flat.
harv7y
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)

On the revision front, make a list of topics or subjects that you need to revise, and just go through them one at a time. It can all seem very daunting when your revision to do list is just a big mass in front of you, so break it down and take things in turn. In terms of your phone, if you don't have the self discipline to just not use it, give it to someone else in the house while you revise and tell them that they can't give it back to you until a certain time. Find that you still use social media on your laptop/computer/tablet etc? Get the other person in the house to change the password on the router or just unplug it and put it somewhere. This may all sound drastic, but mobile phones and social media are literally designed to make you spend more time on them, and their accessibility is a big part of that. You can do small things to remove that accessibility, such as removing the apps from your phone, but you can also just remove those items from your reach entirely. And you'll probably find that it does wonders for your concentration instantly. Try it and see how you get on.
Thanks Jamie, i will try this delete Instagram and snap chat the main apps I use, would this affect friendships and relationships tho?
harv7y
Rep:
?
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)

Thanks Jamie, i will try this delete Instagram and snap chat the main apps I use, would this affect friendships and relationships tho?
harv7y
Rep:
?
(Original post by CTLeafez)
I find I can concentration on academic work best when I remove myself from my usual environment e.g. my bedroom/house.

If I make the effort to walk to the Uni library then I feel more of a need to actually achieve something while I'm there. Ta-da I've actually got some work done.

I wrote my entire dissertation in the uni library (admittedly I stayed until 9pm some days) and only proof-read it at my student house/flat.
Wow this is a good idea, for the library do you have to pay anything to go in their and or use their computers.

My library is fairly close and i used to go their a lot when i was younger, remember seeing students in their using the computers this would benefit me because i will be in a independent environment.

Thanks for the reply, will be trying it soon.
harv7y
Rep:
?
(Original post by HaruhiSuoh)
try doing most or all your homework at school so when you come back home you can completely focus on revision and you won't give yourself excuses that your homework counts as revision and that you need a break. Also if u need the internet use a device other than your phone- like a laptop or something and start with the easiest subjects then the hardest last so you won't get bored or try doing your least favourite subject revision first and then your favourite last so that by the end you won't stop because you will be enjoying it. this actually works for me might be different for others
Thanks!
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
If a friendship doesn't survive you taking a break from social media to revise for your exams, it wasn't worth having it in the first place.
CTLeafez
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Wow this is a good idea, for the library do you have to pay anything to go in their and or use their computers.

My library is fairly close and i used to go their a lot when i was younger, remember seeing students in their using the computers this would benefit me because i will be in a independent environment.

Thanks for the reply, will be trying it soon.
I know some Unis have something called a "scholar pass", basically a card you can use to enter Uni libraries and use their resources, however I'm not quite sure how computers would work as you'd need login details.

Regarding public libraries, you'd need to sign up for a library card and/or computer access. Should be free, just requires some paperwork filling in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (138)
58.72%
No (52)
22.13%
Not sure (45)
19.15%

Watched Threads