Progressing after qualifying as a dental nurse??? Watch

gracej997
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hi there, I'm currently studying to complete my diploma in dental nursing. I'm really enjoying it and loving the course. My question is where can i progress to from dental nursing, I've looked into dental therapy or dental hygiene and both of them peak my interest but i'm unsure whether i would need another qualifications along side this to even apply to uni?
A lady i work with has qualified as a hygienist after 12 years as a nurse so i know it's doable.
So has anyone else looked into this, or done it or in the middle of it? Some advice on what qualifications i would need to go on to do dental therapy or hygiene, and also is there anybody out there that has gone onto another career path entirely from dental nursing?

Sorry it's so long winded but hopefully there's someone out there i can get advice from

Thanks!
Grace
L4ur41996
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hiya! I’m a dental nurse and I’m currently in the process of applying for hygiene and therapy!
So different unis want different things;
Essex is happy to take a dental nurse with just that qual + 2 years experience
Some like Sheffield will accept dental nursing + 2 post reg qualifications eg OHE or radiography
All will accept alevels (grades will vary) but will definitely want a science prefs biology!
Or you could do an access to HE in science which is what I’m doing!
Feel free to PM if you have any questions or anything
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Bristol wants A level Biology - or an Access to HE qualification : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/under...e-and-therapy/
lucyluh
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by gracej997)
Hi there, I'm currently studying to complete my diploma in dental nursing. I'm really enjoying it and loving the course. My question is where can i progress to from dental nursing, I've looked into dental therapy or dental hygiene and both of them peak my interest but i'm unsure whether i would need another qualifications along side this to even apply to uni?
A lady i work with has qualified as a hygienist after 12 years as a nurse so i know it's doable.
So has anyone else looked into this, or done it or in the middle of it? Some advice on what qualifications i would need to go on to do dental therapy or hygiene, and also is there anybody out there that has gone onto another career path entirely from dental nursing?

Sorry it's so long winded but hopefully there's someone out there i can get advice from

Thanks!
Grace
Hi I recently qualified as a Dental nurse but I am going to do start my Adult Nursing degree in Jan 2020.
I have loved dental nursing but I realised that I needed and wanted to do more, I feel that dental nursing is very much the same thing day in and day out and it's become very boring feeling like 'just' the assistant . I did look into dental hygiene/therapy but I want to have more of a caring role. I suppose it depends on how much you like dentistry and if you feel you want to stay in that field.
Lucy
Hirakhannn
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by L4ur41996)
Hiya! I’m a dental nurse and I’m currently in the process of applying for hygiene and therapy!
So different unis want different things;
Essex is happy to take a dental nurse with just that qual + 2 years experience
Some like Sheffield will accept dental nursing + 2 post reg qualifications eg OHE or radiography
All will accept alevels (grades will vary) but will definitely want a science prefs biology!
Or you could do an access to HE in science which is what I’m doing!
Feel free to PM if you have any questions or anything
Hey can you pm me ?
kieraliane
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey!
I am a qualified dental nurse and I have applied for uni to do hyg therapy next year (2020).
All the unis I have applied to have asked for A Levels or equivalent. I am doing an access course - psychology, biology, maths and chemistry. You will also need decent grades at GCSE, to definitely include science and maths.
Any questions let me know
Jayderb
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I can only speak for Dental Hygiene not Dental Therapy. What I write is only from my experiences so other people opinions may differ.

I qualified and worked as a Dental nurse for two years before applying for Dental Hygiene. I did this through the Army (that avenue is closed now) but supervised and examined by the Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh.

Since qualifying as a DH, I have worked in the Ministry of Defence and the private sector. I work 5 - 6 days a week and I have worked both as a Locum and as permanent staff.

The Pros:

1. Really good money. I work in the south of England and the wages are brilliant. No other qualifications will pay this much immediately after graduation.

2. You control your hours and days. This can give you a good work/family balance.

3. The patients are lovely and you build friendships with people from all walks of life.

The Cons:

1. Very little in terms of career progression. I left dental nursing as it was very repetitive. Dental Hygiene is worse. It’s the same thing every thirty minutes. You can always include whitening and facial aesthetics but most of your days will be filled with scale and polish.

2. Further education doesn’t mean more money. I have a two years diploma in dental hygiene and earn more than others who have masters degrees in perio, so going back to school to further your qualifications is useful but will not necessarily pay for itself.

3. It is EXHAUSTING. it’s been eight years post qualification and my back is gone, my foot has RSI from the peddle and my index finger has been aching for the last three months. And I actually take care of myself. This job drains you as all you do all day is GIVE GIVE GIVE and at some point it takes a toll on you.

4. Most employers will take advantage of you and you have to chase your pay a lot of times especially as a Locum. A lot of times I have had to threaten court action. These can be very stressful.

All in all, it’s a good qualification though I looked at dental Hyg as a steppingstone career. My partner is a Registered Nurse and the career options and progression offered are more than in Hyg. Personally I am hanging up the scalers and going into something totally different. It maybe for a career break or total career change.

Whatever you decide. Good luck
Last edited by Jayderb; 2 weeks ago
ArghhhNo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gracej997)

Thanks!
Grace
Hey Grace, DN is a great career and there are lots of different avenues you can take this profession, you don’t necessarily have to become a DHDT, oral surgery (max facts department) you have primary and secondary care, tutoring routes, post quals that allow you to be more involved.
Also not forgetting roles such as TCO.
but if you are looking into the DHDT role it’s very competitive, I would firstly concentrate on entry requirements the basics like GSCE at least 5 a-c’s / 9-4 in your core subjects.
you will need a A level of a Access course along side your DN qual.
then when you have them in place build up your experience within the professional whislt applying, it can take numerous years attempting to get a place.
so enjoy what your doing along the way!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • University of Bradford
    Postgraduate Open day/Evening Postgraduate
    Tue, 3 Mar '20
  • Queen's University Belfast
    Postgraduate LIVE Masters & PhD Study Fair Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Mar '20

Do you get study leave?