Kurdish allies in fight against ISIS risk being wiped out – by Nato Watch

ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
"Turkey is seen as the Kurds’ mortal enemy but it uses German tanks and British helicopters: this is an international outrage"
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ia-turkey-nato

This comes as no suprise to anyone but the US and the rest of the west is about to sell the Kurds down the river now that ISIS is no longer a threat. Shameful.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
And people said they wouldnt let history repeat itself, ha.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
"Turkey is seen as the Kurds’ mortal enemy but it uses German tanks and British helicopters: this is an international outrage"

This comes as no suprise to anyone but the US and the rest of the west is about to sell the Kurds down the river now that ISIS is no longer a threat. Shameful.
I dont think this is about Nato or rest of the west.

It is about Erdogan, but just as much about Trump.

Completely agree its a betrayal by him and the USA , but its against both the state department advice and that of the military.
Scandalous decision and breathtakingly short sighted. US should be ashamed of itself. Was gobsmacked when I read about it.

Just goes to show you cannot trust Trump.
JanusGodofDoors
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This decision will come back to haunt the United States. It creates regional instability, and tells the world that the word of America is worth nothing. This is a betrayal of historic proportions. The Kurds fought and died in their stand against extremism, and the leader of the free world basically just forced them to choose between being butchered by the Turkish military and seeking a deal with the devil with Assad, one of the worst dictators on the face of the earth. Shameful even by the standards of Trump.
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Report 1 week ago
NATO, a force for imperialism, supporting ethnic cleansing - nay, genocide?

There is no surprise here. Trump has set his agenda, and the West is marching with him.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is so appalling on every level. It takes America back to the worst and most cynical postwar pandering to dictators and to the most evil rulers around the world.

Two right wing thugs - Trump and Erdogan - get together on the phone for a cosy chat. They agree to sacrifice the Kurdish people, who have fought against ISIS so bravely on our behalf and with immense loss and sacrifice - so that Erdogan can trumpet nationalism in a Turkish election and Trump can say he's 'bringing the boys home'.

And of course it won't be just Kurds dying. They currently control the camps where former IS combatants are held. That will stop and IS will revive - no doubt to trouble us more.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
NATO, a force for imperialism, supporting ethnic cleansing - nay, genocide?

There is no surprise here. Trump has set his agenda, and the West is marching with him.
Turkey is of course experienced in genocide and in random acts of racist mass killing, so this will be business as usual for them.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

This is indeed shameful, but isn’t time that we stop relying on the US? Nato is not only about the US but there are other countries like France, Germany, UK etc. We should be able to do something to support the Kurds than complaining about the US every time Trump decides to stick two fingers up.

This faux outrage is a bit annoying. If we really cared about the Kurds, we would have done more than complain without action.
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I dont think this is about Nato or rest of the west.
What is the point of NATO if it allows a member state to do this?

Oh wait. This is the point of NATO...
Last edited by ChaoticButterfly; 1 week ago
ChaoticButterfly
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wired_1800)
This is indeed shameful, but isn’t time that we stop relying on the US? Nato is not only about the US but there are other countries like France, Germany, UK etc. We should be able to do something to support the Kurds than complaining about the US every time Trump decides to stick two fingers up.

This faux outrage is a bit annoying. If we really cared about the Kurds, we would have done more than complain without action.
I imagine the UK, along with countries like germany is supplying turkey weapons and equipment. So we could stop doing that. I'm fine if the UK air force wants to step in a fill in the US's role and provide air support for the kurds.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
What is the point of NATO if it allows a member state to do this?

Oh wait. This is the point of NATO...
Nato is mostly a defence alliance. Cant stop individual countries from conducting their own operations. Have to wait and see. Nato has served Europe very well.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
I imagine the UK, along with countries like germany is supplying turkey weapons and equipment. So we could stop doing that. I'm fine if the UK air force wants to step in a fill in the US's role and provide air support for the kurds.
We dont have the planes and why would we? You expect the UK to go to war with Turkey?
Its not really to do with Nato its between the US and the Kurds. I think its a massive stab in the back and the wrong move, but so does everyone else in the US except Trump.
Wired_1800
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It is the hypocrisy that amuses me. We talk about all these nonsense, but then sell weapons to the very groups that we claim to oppose. This has happened with other nations including Syria and Saudi Arabia.

I don't mind the UK re-taking the top position in global affairs rather than sucking up to Trump and his erratic behaviour.

Few weeks ago, an American woman hit and killed a 19 year old kid whilst apparently driving on the wrong side of the road. She fled the country by claiming diplomatic immunity. Yet, we are unable to do anything, other than beg Trump. It is unbelievable.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh look, one of our residents continuing with their fake news. There is no real risk of them being "wiped out", nor is the action by NATO. Rather there is a risk of the Kurds being forced out of the areas of Syria neighbouring Turkey by Turkey,
z-hog
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
From Trump's perspective, it is more of his policy of pulling US troops out of war scenarios where he sees no end and no point in prolonging things. He is consistent on that and has had to be reigned in before by people paid to do it, this isn't a matter of supporting him but to figure out the why of things. I feel for the Kurds too and admire their fight for survival against ISIS but the question is there to deal with: do the US pull out now or stay forever waiting for 'something' to happen? He puts the US interests first at every instance, the way he sees them, and this is more of that well known policy of his.

Turkey is a NATO member, that's going to cause friction the moment they start picking on the Kurds. Trump has sounded off on economic destruction raining down on them should they misbehave on this front left behind but he probably isn't naive enough to trust them. He just puts America first.
Last edited by z-hog; 1 week ago
moonkatt
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49983357
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Oh look, one of our resident nuts continuing with their fake news. There is no real risk of them being "wiped out", nor is the action by NATO. Rather there is a risk of the Kurds being forced out of the areas of Syria neighbouring Turkey by Turkey,
The operation has just started and people will die now because of the pullout. Nothing to do with NATO and everything to do with Trump. Wouldnt have thought even you were an Erdogan fan.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by z-hog)
From Trump's perspective, it is more of his policy of pulling US troops out of war scenarios where he sees no end and no point in prolonging things. He is consistent on that and has had to be reigned in before by people paid to do it, this isn't a matter of supporting him but to figure out the why of things. I feel for the Kurds too and admire their fight for survival against ISIS but the question is there to deal with: do the US pull out now or stay forever waiting for 'something' to happen? He puts the US interests first at every instance, the way he sees them, and this is more of that well known policy of his.

Turkey is a NATO member, that's going to cause friction the moment they start picking on the Kurds. Trump has sounded off on economic destruction raining down on them should they misbehave on this front left behind but he probably isn't naive enough to trust them. He just puts America first.
Yes which means he has betrayed the Kurds who were a major force in helping defeat ISIS. They would have been better off trusting the Russians. Ironic considering they represented a stable cohesive and democratic force that were entirely reliable and lost thousands of men fighting with the US as allies. Who would want to be a US ally now, just shows Trump is a blatant liar and you cant trust anything he says.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
More than anything, this continues to demonstrate what a farce Turkish membership of NATO is and how weak the case is for continuing to treat Turkey as a normal country.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (150)
59.29%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.92%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.79%

Watched Threads