The Student Room Group

Kurdish allies in fight against ISIS risk being wiped out – by Nato

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
More than anything, this continues to demonstrate what a farce Turkish membership of NATO is and how weak the case is for continuing to treat Turkey as a normal country.

What? You don't want to treat Turkey as a normal country? And you accuse others of aggressive and unnecessary provocation. If you were a government official, this aggressive comment would have required harsh rebuke from Turkey’s Ambassador to the UK.
Original post by Wired_1800
What? You don't want to treat Turkey as a normal country? And you accuse others of aggressive and unnecessary provocation. If you were a government official, this aggressive comment would have required harsh rebuke from Turkey’s Ambassador to the UK.

I shall await their response and when it comes, attempt to remind them that Kurds are human beings and not the terrorist scum awaiting elimination at the hands of implacable Ottoman hordes, as depicted in Turkish media.
I shall await their response and when it comes, attempt to remind them that Kurds are human beings and not the terrorist scum awaiting elimination at the hands of implacable Ottoman hordes, as depicted in Turkish media.

I think this level of aggression needs to reduce. You are using the same verbal tactics that Trump uses.
Reply 23
More than anything, this continues to demonstrate what a farce Turkish membership of NATO is and how weak the case is for continuing to treat Turkey as a normal country.

To be honest i agree with the sentiment but i think you have the wrong country, this shows those epithets not so much apply to Turkey ad America.
I think this level of aggression needs to reduce. You are using the same verbal tactics that Trump uses.

You think that is aggressive?

Oh, you sweet delicate child. You should educate yourself on how Turkey has treated the Kurds over the last century if you want to understand what aggressive is.
Original post by Kitten in boots
You think that is aggressive?

Oh, you sweet delicate child. You should educate yourself on how Turkey has treated the Kurds over the last century if you want to understand what aggressive is.

I understand that and it is horrible plus shameful that we don't intervene to save the Kurds from this massacre. However, FoS’s comment, if they were an MP or Minister in Government, would have received rebuke for aggression against a sovereign nation. Our diplomats would have had to work harder to calm the Turks.

Anyway, what do you suggest happens next? Don't go on about Trump or the US. I am interested in solutions that excludes the US.
And now NATO, sorry, I mean Turkey (easy mistake) is using the lives of 3m desperate Syrian refugees as a *threat* against us - Erdogan will release them into Europe, he says, if his new bloodthirsty assault on the brave Kurds is condemned by Europe.

No word as yet from NATO HQ. Must be hard for their PR people today.
And now NATO, sorry, I mean Turkey (easy mistake) is using the lives of 3m desperate Syrian refugees as a *threat* against us - Erdogan will release them into Europe, he says, if his new bloodthirsty assault on the brave Kurds is condemned by Europe.

No word as yet from NATO HQ. Must be hard for their PR people today.

Turkey knows that we are full of rubbish. They can release refugees and cause societal collapse. The refugee crisis of years ago nearly brought down many European countries.
Reply 28
Turkey knows that we are full of rubbish. They can release refugees and cause societal collapse. The refugee crisis of years ago nearly brought down many European countries.

It's not as if he can just round up people in camps and boat them to Europe, his threats are often of the type that makes Trump sound a pussy. This is a typical demonstration of what a paper-tiger the EU is, impotent to influence anything in this world. We can't even say anything, much easier to just blame Trump for everything. Should he make good on his threats... we'll just put up with it.
Original post by z-hog
It's not as if he can just round up people in camps and boat them to Europe, his threats are often of the type that makes Trump sound a pussy. This is a typical demonstration of what a paper-tiger the EU is, impotent to influence anything in this world. We can't even say anything, much easier to just blame Trump for everything. Should he make good on his threats... we'll just put up with it.

We like to blame Trump for everything, even when we know that we have chosen to do nothing.
Not comfortable with this. The Kurds have been the most reliable allies in the fight against ISIS, now we are sending them down the river by not telling Turkey to go forth and multiply.
Defend the Kurds and stop the Turkish military invasion of northern Syria!
https://petition.parliament.uk/signatures/75594729/signed
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Signed. Thanks for posting.
Reply 33
In two days since Turkey's invasion, tens of thousands displaced and the massacres have begun:

https://twitter.com/KaderAriz/status/1183082465482674176?s=20
Original post by 999tigger
The operation has just started and people will die now because of the pullout. Nothing to do with NATO and everything to do with Trump. Wouldnt have thought even you were an Erdogan fan.

You don't have to be an Erdogan fan to avoid the hysteria provided. Yes, people will die, breaking news: that's what happens in war. It really is quite simple, for over 40 years Turkey and Kurdish separatists have been fighting each other, this is ultimately just another part of that conflict and a domestic matter for Turkey
Original post by Jammy Duel
You don't have to be an Erdogan fan to avoid the hysteria provided. Yes, people will die, breaking news: that's what happens in war. It really is quite simple, for over 40 years Turkey and Kurdish separatists have been fighting each other, this is ultimately just another part of that conflict and a domestic matter for Turkey

Completely missing the point as usual. Your answer is laughable and shows a complete failure to understand the situation and the issues it raises.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 36

Signed, but alas i dont see what good it will do

Except this is in Syria, not Turkey so it is obviously not a domestic matter any more as opposed to an illegal invasion.

Why are all self proclaimed libertarians so fash?
Original post by Napp
Signed, but alas i dont see what good it will do

Except this is in Syria, not Turkey so it is obviously not a domestic matter any more as opposed to an illegal invasion.

Well it kinda is a domestic matter, you do know who is in Turkey, right? About 3.6m Syrians, and that only counts the registered ones. Turkey has two big domestic problems relating to this, first is a load of armed separatists they have been fighting for decades being literally right on their doorstep, this pushes them back a bit, and the second problem they have is nearly 4 million Syrians who, *if* Turkey are being honest will then be moved back into Syria.

There are, of course, big questions that are to be answered:
1) will they stop at the 30km or will they keep going?
2) Will those Syrians be returned as claimed and if so in what way?
3) what happens when Assad's forces reach the edge of the Turkish zone, will Turkey hand over control immediately, will they hand it over when the civil war is over (effectively be caretakers while Assad finishes cleaning up), will they refuse to hand it over and claim it as part of Turkey?

None of the answers are known for certain and quite frankly it's none of our business.

Why are all self proclaimed libertarians so fash?

Didn't realise that staying out of other people's wars in the Middle East was fascistic, I guess I shall amend my ways and start advocating immediate invasion and annexation of the whole region.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Completely missing the point as usual. Your answer is laughable and shows a complete failure to understand the situation and the issues it raises.

Then enlighten me, what is the issue? That we aren't joining in another war in the Middle East, something that most of those *****ing and whining about our inaction have been *****ing and whining about us doing in recent history?

Is there genocide coming? No
Are the Kurds fighting ISIS going to be wiped out, as the title suggests? Unless Turkey are lying about the extent of the land they intend on occupying, no
Is this just an excuse for Turkey to push tens of thousands of Kurds who could quite readily swing in to attack Turkey as part of the current phase of the Kurdish-Turkish conflict? Almost certainly
Is it anything to do with us? No
Are there national security implications for us or our allies? No for us, yes one for our allies but that's only because they are directly involved
Is there any chance what so over of any action being taken by the West to actually stop it? No
Have they been involved in the conflict for years? Yes
Despite their involvement for years has this only just become a problem? Apparently so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending