?
Report 1 year ago
probs maths fm chemistry physics
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
maths, further maths (duh) with the next most popular choice being probably physics.
iFreudianSlip
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths, further maths, any sciences, economics, computing
Any four of them but obviously maths and further maths are preferred
Ðeggs
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Maths, further maths, physics are most important three, and then computer science or perhaps chemistry.
Last edited by Ðeggs; 1 year ago
iFreudianSlip
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SpiderBlue)
Maths, further maths, any sciences, economics, computing
Any four of them but obviously maths and further maths are preferred
Just to add on this,
My brother is doing a degree in maths so ill tell you the four that he did:
Maths, Further Maths, Economics, French

I think that they liked french because it was something a bit different ya know? Shows that he has more than one skill, so if there is another subject that you enjoy you could still potentially do that and still do a maths degree.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Entry requirements for :

Imperial - Maths and FM - https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...atics-bsc/2020
Warwick - Maths and FM - https://warwick.ac.uk/study/undergra...2020/mathsbsc/
Bristol - Maths and one of FM, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Economics, Computer Science https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...ths/bsc-maths/
Edinburgh - Maths and preferably FM https://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/underg...view&code=G100
Sussex - Maths http://www.sussex.ac.uk/maths/ugstudy/prospectus
Oxford Brookes - Maths - https://www.brookes.ac.uk/courses/un...e/mathematics/
decaf-tarantula
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
maths and further maths, you will be asked for one or both of those. then physics or like computer science, because the stuff you learn in there will come up again.
Legomenon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
As people have said, the most standard are Maths, Further Maths, Physics. However there is also another qualification called Additional Further Maths (lol) which is literally just Further Further Maths, i.e. you do the remaining A Level maths modules that you would not have covered in M+FM. It's not really necessary, but it's an option.
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Maths, Further Maths, Physics then Chemistry or Computer Science
decaf-tarantula
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Legomenon)
As people have said, the most standard are Maths, Further Maths, Physics. However there is also another qualification called Additional Further Maths (lol) which is literally just Further Further Maths, i.e. you do the remaining A Level maths modules that you would not have covered in M+FM. It's not really necessary, but it's an option.
They're still doing that? I thought they got rid of it in the linear a-level reform.
Becca216
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by decaf-tarantula)
They're still doing that? I thought they got rid of it in the linear a-level reform.
I think it is still a thing but very few schools do it so most people learn it independently
Last edited by Becca216; 7 months ago
Legomenon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Oh then they probably have, sorry! While I was typing that I was thinking they might have changed it since I took my A Levels.
In that case I'd probably second something like Computer Science if you're interested in computers/programming as many maths grads do end up in careers such as software engineering.
RichE
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Maths and FMaths and 1 or 2 other A-levels you enjoy.
d0nkey_dude
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I mean i did bio chem maths and am going to a RG uni for maths, but obviously if you’re aiming for COWI you’ll need further maths
davros
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Legomenon)
(Original post by Becca216)
I think it is still a thing but very few schools do it so most people learn it independently
Additional Further Maths doesn't exist in the new linear spec.

That doesn't prevent people reading up on the modules they haven't covered in FM, but the best thing to prep for a Maths degree is really to do as much "Pure" (in the A level sense) as possible,
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Nithumigah)
Question in title
For context I take Maths, Further Maths, Economics & Physics so may be biased, but my list;
Maths (obviously), Further Maths (extremely highly desired, especially by top institutions), Computer Science (you will have to become very skilled at degree level), Physics (again somewhat obvious). Some other A levels that are useful are Chemistry (again somewhat obvious), Biology (from what I've heard, a lot more stats than GCSE), Economics (subject I'm applying for, not quite as Maths intense at A level as I hoped though), Languages (always useful and will certainly help you in the job market post-degree). I would however advise picking subjects that you enjoy as well, I know people applying to Maths with subjects not on this list like History, Politics, English Literature, Geology and Geography. Good luck
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Nithumigah)
Question in title
Maths & further maths.

I would imagine other subjects where maths is often applied Could be useful for example physics or economics.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
Maths & further maths.

I would imagine other subjects where maths is often applied Could be useful for example physics or economics.
Possibly Computer Science as well.
rae52
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Maths and Further Maths for sure.

I think Physics is overrated in terms of its helpfulness though it is a solid choice and if you are a strong mathematician you are likely to do well.

I would strongly recommend Computer Science, a basic understanding of programming is incredibly helpful to build on and many people who didn't have this struggled with or had to put in far more time to the modules based on programming (in my experience).

Other than that any choice in which you perform well is fine, sciences are particularly good or a language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (57)
13.9%
Virtual campus tours/open days (95)
23.17%
Live streaming events (38)
9.27%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (39)
9.51%
A uni comparison tool (92)
22.44%
An in-person event when available (89)
21.71%