The Student Room Group

Contractions and Abbreviations

My application is over the limit by about 1000 characters. This is despite the fact that I have made extensive use of contractions, particularly ''I'm'' and ''it's'', and also abbreviated Economics to Econ throughout my statement. I believe I can truncate it down to 4000 characters, but only as long as I don't have to cut out the contractions and abbreviations as well. Any opinions?
Reply 1
Personally I would avoid using contractions in a personal statement. Thought it's not for a job per se, it should still use "professional" language etc., and contractions go against that. However, I'm no expert, talk to whoever is guiding you through the process - a teacher or whoever.

Have you had anyone else read over your personal statement? Another person would likely be able to tell you what bits seem unnecessary, and could be removed/edited down.
As the above user has said, contractions and abbreviations are best avoided in a formal document

1. Remove any mention of your A Levels
2. Reduce (or remove) your hobbies section

Go through this and see if it helps you see what is relevant: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_statement_help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending