The Student Room Group

Scribe visually impaired

I'm visually impaired and have a type of cp and I'm wondering why I have a scribe on my accomodations for GCSE exams my qtvi Sayed I'm entitled to one but I can write just fine

I have
Reader
Scribe
Rest breaks
50% extra time
Enlarged paper

I get my classroom assistant to read or scribe for me sometimes because of one of my conditions that gets worse to the point where I find it hard to read or write

But I'm wondering why are visually impaired students entitled to a scribe?

Can I still write answers?
Visually impairment covers a wide variety of conditions that could range from limited impairment to blindness. Someone with a visial impairment may not be able to write, and so would be entitled to someone to scribe for one.

You aren't forced to make use of accommodations, however if - as you say - you sometimes need someone to scribe or read for you then I would recommend that you make sure that your school is aware of this for exams, even if on the day you don't make use of it. The alternative is taht if you decline because you're fine currently, but on exam day feel you need t it may not be immediately available. This can cause additional, unneccessary stress that you can do without.
Reply 2
You're entitled to a scribe because you sometimes need one. You don't have to use one if you feel OK on the day, but the school will need to have a trained scribe available in case you do.
Original post by Compost
You're entitled to a scribe because you sometimes need one. You don't have to use one if you feel OK on the day, but the school will need to have a trained scribe available in case you do.

I'm getting my classroom assistant to scribe and read more during class

Find using a scribe ok but it's hard to put punctuation in and think on the spot

Also I have school tests this week but I'm too scared to use one during tests I think I'll use my classroom assistant in a less important subject I'm doing also my eyes are bad most times during the day

Quick Reply

Latest