Mental Health in Universities: your thoughts

Watch
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
10th October is World Mental Health Day. As we raise awareness about Mental Health, I thought it was important to address the issues of mental health at universities.

It's an area that a lot of unis are starting to pay more attention to in relation to student experience, and the Office for Students in particular are working improving provision across the sector (and providing funding too).

What do you think need the most attention regarding university mental health?

Would you like to see more peer-to-peer support? Do you think issues need tackling at grass-roots level on things like loneliness or would you prefer to see funding spent to widen services for more acute mental health treatment at universities?

The focus of this year's world mental health day is about suicide prevention. Are you familiar with any efforts at your university on suicide prevention and promoting mental health awareness?

What would you like to see your university in particular do more?

A Quick Reminder:
> You can post in this forum anonymously if you want.
> The anonymous function is for those wishing to talk about personally sensitive issues, not for debating on mental health topics.
> If you're going to include accounts which may trigger somebody, please put them in a
[spoiler]
and include a "Trigger Warning".
> Discussion on historic suicide is allowed. References to current or recent self harm or suicide is not, for the safety of all users.
> If you're in need of support for suicide/self harm related things, please talk to the Peer Support Volunteers, or phone Samaritans (116 123). Other support services and phone lines are available.
Last edited by 04MR17; 1 year ago
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
:bump:
Vexper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My university (not afraid to say it was Teesside!) was atrocious for providing MH support. My dad commited suicide in my final year and I remember going to a drop-in session with a counsellor that I was 'signposted' (binned off) by my tutor to go and see. The person I was speaking to was just consulting a BOOK as I was talking to them, and filling in a form. What the ****? There was simply no active listening or any soft skills whatsoever. In my case, the provision for one to one support was there, but the staff had zero soft skills. If you're dealing with vulnerable students it's not enough to provide service in quantity, that **** needs to be quality too or you risk causing more damage. I lost all faith in my faculty after that experience and I basically told my tutor he's a joke for referring me to that service. The people delivering it were logical book worms - not socialable, not warm or empathetic. I was truly disgusted.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (141)
14.29%
I'm not sure (42)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (296)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (482)
48.83%

Watched Threads