The Student Room Group

Girls - endometriosis/periods and smell

I have Pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and as a result my periods have always been really weird, naturally. but i was overweight and the doctors always told me that losing weight will work well to help my pcos. so i have been slowly losing weight as i've been getting older and am noticing a change.

before the pattern was that i'd only get a period maybe once a year and sometimes it would be a couple of dots and then nothing. now i still don't get them every month but i do get periods maybe once every two-three months and they will be full periods, heavy with clots etc but in the past years i was lucky not to get any period pains, i'd usually get them the day before but not on the day

this time i got the pains before and then during. i've had bad stomach cramps for about 5 days now and yet have only had period for 3 days.

also there are huge clots (nothing new) but the new thing i'm noticing is the strong musky smell that is coming. yeah i know periods are naturally smelly but it was never so strong that you could smell it everytime you walked. from yesterday till today the smell has been soooo strong that i almost gag. and it smells weird, sort of like a strong fishy smell mixed with a rotting corpse smell. (i know, tmi!) it just smells a lot and the smell is soooo overbearing :frown:

what i want to know is, does this sound like endometriosis? is one of the signs of endometriosis having a horrible strong odor coming from your downstairs as well as ongoing cramps?
I had/have PCOS. I found out two years ago. I would not get regular periods. However, when I visited the GP and she told me I had PCOS, weirdly my period became normal.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I have Pcos (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and as a result my periods have always been really weird, naturally. but i was overweight and the doctors always told me that losing weight will work well to help my pcos. so i have been slowly losing weight as i've been getting older and am noticing a change.

before the pattern was that i'd only get a period maybe once a year and sometimes it would be a couple of dots and then nothing. now i still don't get them every month but i do get periods maybe once every two-three months and they will be full periods, heavy with clots etc but in the past years i was lucky not to get any period pains, i'd usually get them the day before but not on the day

this time i got the pains before and then during. i've had bad stomach cramps for about 5 days now and yet have only had period for 3 days.

also there are huge clots (nothing new) but the new thing i'm noticing is the strong musky smell that is coming. yeah i know periods are naturally smelly but it was never so strong that you could smell it everytime you walked. from yesterday till today the smell has been soooo strong that i almost gag. and it smells weird, sort of like a strong fishy smell mixed with a rotting corpse smell. (i know, tmi!) it just smells a lot and the smell is soooo overbearing :frown:

what i want to know is, does this sound like endometriosis? is one of the signs of endometriosis having a horrible strong odor coming from your downstairs as well as ongoing cramps?

Idk about the smell but the cramps and the huge clots point towards it. My mum is diagnosed with endo and I know that she gets awful cramps and huge clots during her period. Get seen by a GP to make it official! In the mean time, hot water bottle, pain killers and a mug of hot lemon tea or ginger tea will help you.
Reply 3
Original post by Discrepancy
I had/have PCOS. I found out two years ago. I would not get regular periods. However, when I visited the GP and she told me I had PCOS, weirdly my period became normal.

yeah my friend is the same, she has it too even though she doesn't appear to have any of the symptons

lucky really i have them all :frown: even the extra facial hair. it grows back almost daily, do you have that?
Reply 4
Original post by Rxnaaa
Idk about the smell but the cramps and the huge clots point towards it. My mum is diagnosed with endo and I know that she gets awful cramps and huge clots during her period. Get seen by a GP to make it official! In the mean time, hot water bottle, pain killers and a mug of hot lemon tea or ginger tea will help you.

ahh i was afraid of that, it definitely feels different to all my other periods. and i was worried that i might have endo. yep i've got a appointment booked for friday thankfully
yeah my friend is the same, she has it too even though she doesn't appear to have any of the symptons

lucky really i have them all :frown: even the extra facial hair. it grows back almost daily, do you have that?

No I don't. You should check with the GP though. Try a diet change and eat more fruits and vegetables.
Reply 6
ahh i was afraid of that, it definitely feels different to all my other periods. and i was worried that i might have endo. yep i've got a appointment booked for friday thankfully

Every time you’ve gotten your period, it seems like it’s a surprise. Good luck!
Reply 7
Original post by Discrepancy
No I don't. You should check with the GP though. Try a diet change and eat more fruits and vegetables.

thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Rxnaaa
Every time you’ve gotten your period, it seems like it’s a surprise. Good luck!

yes sadly, so many clothes and bedsheets have been ruined. its such a nuisance. thanks haha

Quick Reply

Latest