The Student Room Group

Help! Where to apply for Law?

I'm currently on a gap year and applying for law after achieving A*AB in my A Levels. I do have an unconditional offer for law at Sheffield which I have deffered for 2020 entry but I wanted to try and apply to better unis that would take me with my grades.

I feel like I'm in a weird position because my grades can be balanced out to AAA equivalent, however it isn't AAA. I am applying to Bristol because I do like the uni and they have contextual offers of AAB which I meet the conditions for and exceeded. I would only just apply for Bristol but it seems a bit steep paying nearly £80 (I have to do the LNAT too) just for Bristol which I'm not even guaranteed entry for.

I have also added Exeter and Warwick to the list but now I'm stuck on where else to apply. The furthest I'd go is liverpool but I dont want to go too far north. Ideally, the furthest I'd go is Sheffield because that's where I already have an offer for but I want to apply to unis better than Sheffield.

Where else would be suitable for me to apply to?
(edited 4 years ago)
The best law faculty in my eyes is Kent Law School. I would check it out x
Reply 2
Original post by Bee Muza

Really? I wouldn't of thought of Kent so I'll deffo look into it
Original post by Kali.kb
Really? I wouldn't of thought of Kent so I'll deffo look into it

You can do better than Kent, not saying it's bad because it isn't but you can do better. They took people with B/C grades in Clearing this year whereas Sheffield stuck to AAA (or AAB for Law with languages), so you get the picture. One thing you need to do before you can apply anywhere else is to withdraw from Sheffield because you cannot apply in a fresh UCAS cycle while you are holding a deferred place. So you will need to phone Sheffield and say you would like to be released from your place there.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/when-apply/deferred-entry
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
You can do better than Kent, not saying it's bad because it isn't but you can do better. They took people with B/C grades in Clearing this year whereas Sheffield stuck to AAA (or AAB for Law with languages), so you get the picture. One thing you need to do before you can apply anywhere else is to withdraw from Sheffield because you cannot apply in a fresh UCAS cycle while you are holding a deferred place. So you will need to phone Sheffield and say you would like to be released from your place there.

https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/when-apply/deferred-entry

Thank you! I never even knew that deffering stops you from applying in a new cycle, my school fed me wrong information about that. It kind of a gamble because these unis arent guaranteed to let me in but I might just simply reapply to sheffield in this cycle as my course was law with a language
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kali.kb
Thank you! I never even knew that deffering stops you from applying in a new cycle, my school fed me wrong information about that. It kind of a gamble because these unis arent guaranteed to let me in but I might just simply reapply to sheffield in this cycle then

There's no guarantees but with your grades you will be seen as a very strong applicant by all but the very top unis, so although I can imagine it will feel scary to withdraw from Sheffield, it's not as risky as you might think. As Sheffield made you an offer in the last UCAS cycle, they are very likely to make you one again - don't think for a second (as some people do) that they will hold it against you because they won't. Are you attending any Open Days this time round? I personally like Sheffield as a city and a uni, but if you find it a bit too far North, other good places for Law on top of Bristol, Exeter and Warwick include Birmingham and Nottingham.
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
There's no guarantees but with your grades you will be seen as a very strong applicant by all but the very top unis, so although I can imagine it will feel scary to withdraw from Sheffield, it's not as risky as you might think. As Sheffield made you an offer in the last UCAS cycle, they are very likely to make you one again - don't think for a second (as some people do) that they will hold it against you because they won't. Are you attending any Open Days this time round? I personally like Sheffield as a city and a uni, but if you find it a bit too far North, other good places for Law on top of Bristol, Exeter and Warwick include Birmingham and Nottingham.

Thank you so much! You've honestly helped me a lot. I'm going to open days this time round and I'm going to apply for Bristol, Nottingham, Exeter, Warwick and then reapply to Sheffield because I really did love my course there and the environment is lovely.

My school was giving me a £5k scholarship and after speaking to the person running it she did say that I should be fine and due to my circumstances they'll save it for my 2020 entry as long as I go to a Russell Group uni.

Just fingers crossed I smash the lnat this year because last year I somehow got above the average
Original post by Kali.kb
Thank you so much! You've honestly helped me a lot. I'm going to open days this time round and I'm going to apply for Bristol, Nottingham, Exeter, Warwick and then reapply to Sheffield because I really did love my course there and the environment is lovely.

My school was giving me a £5k scholarship and after speaking to the person running it she did say that I should be fine and due to my circumstances they'll save it for my 2020 entry as long as I go to a Russell Group uni.

That's good :smile:

They sound like 5 good choices and it's great that you can still access the scholarship
Original post by Bee Muza

...the best? It’s a fine law department, but the best is a bit extra. There are quite obviously better ones.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending