nadgebomb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all,

Feedback from my P2 interview was that I needed to know about the different squadrons, the aircraft they fly and the amount of aircraft of each type we have.

I have found that sourcing squadron information is no problem, but really struggling to find any kind of source for how many aircraft we have, other than broad figures from Wikipedia. Anyone looked into this in any detail? I'd like to know how many each squadron has if possible but can't find that level of detail anywhere!

Cheers
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by nadgebomb)
Hi all,

Feedback from my P2 interview was that I needed to know about the different squadrons, the aircraft they fly and the amount of aircraft of each type we have.

I have found that sourcing squadron information is no problem, but really struggling to find any kind of source for how many aircraft we have, other than broad figures from Wikipedia. Anyone looked into this in any detail? I'd like to know how many each squadron has if possible but can't find that level of detail anywhere!

Cheers
You don't need numbers per squadron because it tends not to work like that anymore.

But overall numbers can be found easily enough and will be good enough. Ie, 8 C17s, 160 Typhoons, etc...

Though, god alone knows why they expect you to know that. It's not a real number, it doesn't mean anything. But I guess they have to put something down as feedback...
Last edited by Drewski; 1 week ago
NotAVegan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Squadrons tend to not have their own aircraft anymore.

What generally happens is they’ll move around as different squadrons deploy, or airframes go in for servicing/repair/mods etc.
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all,

Cheers
Hi

Aircraft and which Sqns have them can be found on the RAF website here:

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/

I'm not sure about numbers of different aircraft. It used to be listed, but doesn't appear to be now. Although this can most likely be found out with some searching on the MOD website too.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RAF_Adam)
I'm not sure about numbers of different aircraft.
Given the varying states of maintenance and fleet rotation, can you say why such knowledge is even remotely relevant for an interview?
RAF_Adam
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Given the varying states of maintenance and fleet rotation, can you say why such knowledge is even remotely relevant for an interview?
Hi Drew

Most likely that the recruiter is looking to see if the candidate has done any research and investigation into what their role will entail and where they could be doing and on what platform.

The OP hasn't stated which role (but I'm guessing possibly Aircrew) so they may be looking to see whether they're aware of the different aircraft we have and where and doing what etc. But as for the numbers, I don't know. Possibly to see just how much homework they've done to prepare for the interview.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Fast74
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all,

Cheers
You will not need to know the amounts of aircraft types we have so don’t waste any time finding this out. Concentrate on what you understand about the role for which you are applying, the training pipeline, career, and the role of the RAF including Ops. Be prepared to talk around these subjects in the context of the basic principles of Air Power.
TempoTommy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm assuming they want to know numbers just to show your depth of knowledge/amount of research you've attempted to do, its a simple gauge of enthusiasm.

If you know the original procurement figure for Typhoon, then that's one number you can use that shows you've done research.

Keeping up with forces news helps too. one Reaper has been de-commissioned, so there's one less of those now etc etc.
Fast74
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TempoTommy)
I'm assuming they want to know numbers just to show your depth of knowledge/amount of research you've attempted to do, its a simple gauge of enthusiasm.

If you know the original procurement figure for Typhoon, then that's one number you can use that shows you've done research.

Keeping up with forces news helps too. one Reaper has been de-commissioned, so there's one less of those now etc etc.
Honestly there are far more pertinent things that an individual should research to demonstrate their motivation and awareness. Knowing numbers of aircraft is not one of them - you will not be asked that question at OASC and you certainly wouldn’t fail a Filter Interview for not knowing numbers of aircraft. Knowing what aircraft we have, how they are used and how they contribute to the employment of Air Power is where you should be putting effort. Learning numbers of aircraft demonstrates nothing more than an individual can retain information whereas what I have just highlighted is more meaningful and will help an individual talk in depth around other questions that will be asked. It also allows opinion and analysis to be demonstrated. However, I do agree that it is important to keep up with the news to assist with preparation both for interview and their career.
TempoTommy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you want think is right. I revised every single aspect of the branch I was going for to pull it out of the hat if needed. Yeah you might not even need to state numbers but it's better to know than not. It helped me out and I got a slot on IOT. Don't underestimate how competitive it is at the moment.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you want think is right. I revised every single aspect of the branch I was going for to pull it out of the hat if needed. Yeah you might not even need to state numbers but it's better to know than not. It helped me out and I got a slot on IOT. Don't underestimate how competitive it is at the moment.
It's my understanding that the interview has been drastically cut down in time now, so the chances of getting to this level of detail are extremely remote.

The wider point is that the numbers are largely redundant. Actual operational numbers are secret, and fleet numbers don't mean anything. So asking the question in the first place is pretty pointless.

Ok, OP is going for Int, so they might be expecting them to know a bit more detail or have a head for numbers, but that's like expecting a pilot applicant to already know how to fly...
Fast74
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Let’s just say that I know better than most how competitive it is 😉. Your research worked for you which is great and congrats for getting selected but my advice to candidates is to spend their time revising genuinely useful information rather than numbers of aircraft. If they want to revise numbers that’s up to them but they will not get asked about numbers especially with the new interview.
Last edited by Fast74; 1 week ago
TempoTommy
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be honest I'd forgotten about the new interview format! If you two are in the know then yeah listen to these guys ^^^^
Fast74
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be honest I'd forgotten about the new interview format! If you two are in the know then yeah listen to these guys ^
Your inputs are just as valid! People want to hear from those who have recently been through the system and if your research worked for you, then nobody can say your prep was wrong. Things have/are changing at a fair rate at the moment so just trying to keep everyone up to date. We might have the up to date gen but you have the up to date experience of the selection process! My selection was a long time ago!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (35)
25.18%
No (104)
74.82%

Watched Threads