The Student Room Group

Opinions on My 4x a Week Gym Routine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by funk controller
But the muscles are all worked at a very high intensity still. Farmers carries are different from squats, but I wouldn’t dare touch a max squat after farmers because my legs feel like mince meat. A max deadlift would likely not come off the ground either. All because of the heavy quad usage in all 3.

I am not maxing out on my lifts. Each workout I perform a squat or deadlift at a weight at which I attempt to achieve my rep range before I increase the intensity.
This thread is awful

OP that's not a routine, it's a list of exercises. Read the Fitness FAQ at the top of the fitness forum
Reply 22
Original post by Angry cucumber
This thread is awful

OP that's not a routine, it's a list of exercises. Read the Fitness FAQ at the top of the fitness forum

Your response is unhelpful.

The Fitness FAQ does not address how a weightlifting routine ought to be composed. Can you shed light on what exercises are missing and how it should be composed?
Nothing much wrong with the exercise selection, but why 4 x 8 for (virtually) everything? I'd vary the rep ranges a bit.
Original post by Polymath0

The Fitness FAQ does not address how a weightlifting routine ought to be composed. Can you shed light on what exercises are missing and how it should be composed?

Popping back in to say that there aren’t instructions on making a program. You’ve either gathered enough knowledge over a long time to do it or you haven’t. No one who hasn’t lifted or studied for a long time should be making a program.
Reply 25
Original post by funk controller
Popping back in to say that there aren’t instructions on making a program. You’ve either gathered enough knowledge over a long time to do it or you haven’t. No one who hasn’t lifted or studied for a long time should be making a program.

I have gathered sufficient knowledge as far as I am aware. If any aspect of my program is inadequate, point it out.
Reply 26
Original post by Smack
Nothing much wrong with the exercise selection, but why 4 x 8 for (virtually) everything? I'd vary the rep ranges a bit.

The idea behind 4 x 8, barring the deadlift and lateral raise, is that it induces sufficient metabolic tension for hypertrophic gains. If I fail to achieve the rep range in my last workout session, I will increase the weight to induce mechanical tension. Then I will reduce the weight and achieve my target rep range.
Two steps forward, one step back is my pattern.

Yeah because you lack the knowledge to build one, hence the example routines
Your program is pretty poor, but you seem to think you know best so I'm not sure why you bothered asking for people's opinions. If you're just lookin for validation, you won't get it, because it's not a particularly good program.

If you want to stay small and weak none of us care.

If I was in your shoes, knowing what I know now, I'd do 531 for Beginners or GZCLP (probably with more T3 work). You want varied rep ranges, more back work. Probably overkill doing front delt heavy exercises at maximal effort 4 days a week too.

There is a reason why no good program uses 4x8 for everything.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by illusionz
Your program is pretty poor, but you seem to think you know best so I'm not sure why you bothered asking for people's opinions. If you're just lookin for validation, you won't get it, because it's not a particularly good program.

If you want to stay small and weak none of us care.

If I was in your shoes, knowing what I know now, I'd do 531 for Beginners or GZCLP (probably with more T3 work). You want varied rep ranges, more back work. Probably overkill doing front delt heavy exercises at maximal effort 4 days a week too.

There is a reason why no good program uses 4x8 for everything.

There is no need to be so hostile in your tone. It is unwarranted. The fact that I dispute inaccurate observations made about my routine does not imply that I am therefore closed off to advice; it means that I am closed off to advice that is neither constructive nor sound.

For example, you have made three inaccurate observations:
- Your criticism that I have a insufficient back work is demonstrably false. I perform the Barbell Row on Tuesday and Thursday, and the Pulldown cable machine on Friday. This amounts to 12 weekly sets of 96 reps which is an optimal weekly volume, close to the maximum adaptive volume.
- Your criticism that I lack varied rep ranges is rooted in a fundamental misunderstanding. My training regimen is founded on the principle: 2 steps forward for strength, 1 step back for hypertrophy. The variability of my rep range occurs naturally as a by-product of my strength capacity. My target rep range will not be met until I build enough strength to achieve it at a given weight. I work within an intensity range of 2.5kg to 5kg. If I fail to meet my target rep range at, say, 80kg deadlift then I will be able to meet it at 75kg in my next workout as I will have undergone muscular adaptation in strength over 24 to 48 hours. In essence, it is just another expression of the GZCLP routine as variability is present in both systems; my system just includes it organically. If you disagree then explain why.
- Your criticism that I perform front delt exercises 4 days a week is incorrect: I perform it 3 days a week at a sharp incline that distributes the intensity between the side and front deltoids.

The fundamental factors for muscle building are mechanical tension and metabolic stress. Upon this basis, a 4x8 program is not an issue since variability will always be present.
Original post by HiViz9
No way. That is totally not correct. Then why is it big guys who pumped iron religiously, day in day out.. could not last 2 minutes in a sparring session? and that I never broke into a sweat nor was worried at all that they might hit me? I am not being arrogant, I have great humility in fact. Boxers get up early and run miles because they know a fight may go 15 rounds with an opponent you can not switch on and off when you are tired. You control weights. Stamina and endurance is only effective when you can NOT sit down and rest whenever you choose.
I agree with the fast repetition of light weights and the principle of resistance to build strength. I shadowboxed with 5 K weight each end of a barbell.. for 3 ..minute rounds.
I am not saying your training is wrong and you are not fit. I am saying, from vast, real experience that cardiovascular is the most important part of keeping fit and strong.
You feel that inner real fitness. Remember, a person who can not breathe can not do anything.
I hope you dont think I am rude or arrogant but I know what I am saying from years of proven hard graft. If I had to fight or spar with a Jockey or a huge weightlifter I would happily pick the big guy.
Do a test. (perhaps you already do) get up one morning, puck a spot, say 2 miles (to the local supermarket or whatever) and run at average speed, comfortable pace, all the way there and back. If you do not heavy breathe and are very fit and comfortable when you get back home.. you are fit. I was a Military Policeman and I trained hard and have never seen a guy who uses weights only, no matter how many repetitions... who had stamina. I am being honest I am not trying to undermine what you do. If you work on your cardio .. you will see immense gains when you lift weights. I guarantee it. Because it is pure fact... you heart pumps blood mixed with oxygen from the lungs to feed your muscles. If blood with oxygen, from a fit heart and lungs is not getting into your muscles.. this is called tiredness/fatigue... your body demanding more oxygen which can not be supplied.

You have to consider that it takes a lot of oxygen to power all of that muscle mass. Granted, lifting heavy weights isn't optimal if you want to build cardiovascular endurance, but to say that lifting heavy weights doesn't increase your cardiovascular and lung function to any significant degree is nonsense. If you're training hard, you increase your demand for oxygen and get your heart and lungs working harder. With repeated bouts over a long period of time, your heart and lungs will adapt to be more efficient at moving the oxygen around your body in preparation for future bouts. With weightlifting, though it's more about dealing with maximal demand for short bursts, rather than simply sustaining an elevated demand for a substantial period.

As a general rule, if you have to ask if your routine is okay, you shouldn't be designing your own and should stick with a template. Working your own routine comes with experience and already knowing what works well for you and what doesn't, the latter of which is learned by going through pre-made routines over the space of probably a few years.
There is no need to be so hostile in your tone. It is unwarranted. The fact that I dispute inaccurate observations made about my routine does not imply that I am therefore closed off to advice; it means that I am closed off to advice that is neither constructive nor sound.

- Your criticism that I have a insufficient back work is demonstrably false. I perform the Barbell Row on Tuesday and Thursday, and the Pulldown cable machine on Friday. This amounts to 12 weekly sets of 96 reps which is an optimal weekly volume, close to the maximum adaptive volume.
- Your criticism that I lack varied rep ranges is rooted in a fundamental misunderstanding. My training regimen is founded on the principle: 2 steps forward for strength, 1 step back for hypertrophy. The variability of my rep range occurs naturally as a by-product of my strength capacity. My target rep range will not be met until I build enough strength to achieve it at a given weight. I work within an intensity range of 2.5kg to 5kg. If I fail to meet my target rep range at, say, 80kg deadlift then I will be able to meet it at 75kg in my next workout as I will have undergone muscular adaptation in strength over 24 to 48 hours. In essence, it is just another expression of the GZCLP routine as variability is present in both systems; my system just includes it organically. If you disagree then explain why.
- Your criticism that I perform front delt exercises 4 days a week is incorrect: I perform it 3 days a week at a sharp incline that distributes the intensity between the side and front deltoids.

The fundamental factors for muscle building are mechanical tension and metabolic stress. Upon this basis, a 4x8 program is not an issue since variability will always be present.

If you knew as much as you think you do, you wouldn't need to ask for advice.

You have basically no practical experience at the gym. This routine will get you through your beginner gains and then you'll get nowhere.

Re 1, there is no magical perfect number of reps per week.
Re 2, I don't know where you got your progression scheme from but there is a reason no program designed by any successful coach or athlete used anything remotely like it.
Re 3, this demonstrates you don't know what you're talking about. Incline press and overhead press both hit the front delts hard. You appear to want to lift to failure every day, which won't be sustainable.
Original post by HiViz9
I mean no disrespect I am just being honest............. Lifting weights does NOT improve your cardiovascular - heart and lungs. The definition of fitness, physical good health is when your muscles are fed oxygen via the blood - through the lungs and pumped by the heart. This is stamina/staying power - fitness.
I boxed and trained hard. I have had big musclebound guys, insisting on sparring with me because they thought their big muscles was enough. I knew it would be easy-peasy for me to spar them to exhaustion. This happened 3 times over a few months, every time the big guys stopped sparring and gave up within 2- 5 minutes. (1) because they could not breath. (2) when they tried to be clever and hurt me, I simply stuck a powerful punch in their stomach and they gave up. I never bullied, I responded to their trying to be clever because they thought they could easily hurt a much smaller guy. They mistook big muscles for real strength and power... cardiovascular!!
You should use a day for running and only running.
I do not wish to decry what you do and you might totally disregard what I say.

u couldve just said cardio is important

Since you seem to have all the answers, and lots of words, I have to ask you why you asked people for their opinion in the first place?
Reply 34
You have basically no practical experience at the gym. This routine will get you through your beginner gains and then you'll get nowhere.

Why?

You lack substance in your objections.

Re 1, there is no magical perfect number of reps per week.
Re 2, I don't know where you got your progression scheme from but there is a reason no program designed by any successful coach or athlete used anything remotely like it.
Re 3, this demonstrates you don't know what you're talking about. Incline press and overhead press both hit the front delts hard. You appear to want to lift to failure every day, which won't be sustainable.

1. Actually, this is incorrect. There is an optimal and suboptimal rep range for hypertrophy. There exists a consensus on this fact in the academic fitness journals. It is not magic. It is science.
2. What is the reason? Deliver substance, please.
3. So far it is you that has demonstrated an appalling lack of clarity and knowledge. I did not deny that these exercises impact the front deltoids, rather I said that they impact the front deltoids at varying intensities. I do not lift to failure every day, this is a strawman.

Actually laughable and now you've got a good 20 years worth of lifting experience, probably more, schooling you and this is your response haha

The driver of muscle building is progressive overload. Metabolic stress and tension is not. If I lassoed you to a horse and dragged you about a bit everyday, you would have high levels of mechanical tension and a high level of metabolic stress. Your delts would not be juicy after a year of this.
Reply 36
Original post by Reality Check
Since you seem to have all the answers, and lots of words, I have to ask you why you asked people for their opinion in the first place?

To seek out constructive advice, not inaccurate objections rooted in plain misunderstanding or lack of attention.
1. Actually, this is incorrect. There is an optimal and suboptimal rep range for hypertrophy. There exists a consensus on this fact in the academic fitness journals. It is not magic. It is science.
2. What is the reason? Deliver substance, please.
3. So far it is you that has demonstrated an appalling lack of clarity and knowledge. I did not deny that these exercises impact the front deltoids, rather I said that they impact the front deltoids at varying intensities. I do not lift to failure every day, this is a strawman.

Mate you've got 2 fantastic lifters in Woody and illusionz giving you advice. Swallow your pride and listen a bit. There's a reason their both ****ing strong
Reply 38
Actually laughable and now you've got a good 20 years worth of lifting experience, probably more, schooling you and this is your response haha

All I observe here is scorn, derision and belittlement. You are no less a bully.

The driver of muscle building is progressive overload. Metabolic stress and tension is not. If I lassoed you to a horse and dragged you about a bit everyday, you would have high levels of mechanical tension and a high level of metabolic stress. Your delts would not be juicy after a year of this.

This is a nonsensical analogy. In the context of weight lifting in the gym, metabolic stress and mechanical tension can only be induced by progressive overload. This is naturally implied. Your analogy is inapplicable. It is designed to be pedantic and argumentative for the sake of it.
This is a nonsensical analogy. In the context of weight lifting in the gym, metabolic stress and mechanical tension can only be induced by progressive overload. This is naturally implied. Your analogy is inapplicable. It is designed to be pedantic and argumentative for the sake of it.

I'm not a bully, pointing out that you came for validation and are affronted that you came across people with knowledge and experience is not bullying.

Edit: phone had a fit. I shall continue....

Ok, a different example. If I did.100 reps with 60kgs on bench I would do a great deal of metabolic stress with a lot of tension. It would lead to practically not muscle building, just savage DOMS
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest