Law at Cambridge but all science subjects at a level?

Watch
lunarr.
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently in year 12 studying chemistry, biology and psychology with all A* target grades. Im not certain, but I think I really want to go on to study law, and Cambridge university has always been the goal for me. I know they don’t require any specific subjects for the undergraduate degree, but I can’t help but worry that my subject choices will look weird on my application and won’t reflect my passion for law.

Are my subjects a problem?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lunarr.)
I am currently in year 12 studying chemistry, biology and psychology with all A* target grades. Im not certain, but I think I really want to go on to study law, and Cambridge university has always been the goal for me. I know they don’t require any specific subjects for the undergraduate degree, but I can’t help but worry that my subject choices will look weird on my application and won’t reflect my passion for law.

I don't think so - most unis don't care what subjects your A levels are in for Law as long as you can show some evidence of being able to write well - either through an essay based subject, a relevant EPQ, taking part in essay writing competitions etc. You are doing Psychology which whilst not technically an essay based subject, does require good language skills to get the top marks.

As long as you can demonstrate your passion for Law in other ways, it doesn't have to be shown through your A level subject choice - the advice is always to pick the subjects you are best at
edgymemes4teens
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lunarr.)

I applied for law at Cambs the other day and I'm doing bio, geog and history, and I'm one of the more humanities focussed applicants at my school, so you should be fine, just make sure you get in a lot of 'super-curricular' activities in!
IpsaLoquitur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I applied with Chemistry, Maths, History and English Language and got in, plus I knew quite a few people who were all science/maths. I recall at open days a preference was expressed for 'traditional subjects' but no one really cared whether they were science or humanities so much. Interestingly (though this was years ago so it may have changed), they really didn't want anyone to do the law A-Level as they thought it was usually badly taught. Cambridge are quite used to seeing people's passion for law shine through extra-curriculars, so I wouldn't worry!
sweeneyrod
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I don't think so - most unis don't care what subjects your A levels are in for Law as long as you can show some evidence of being able to write well
For Cambridge, even that isn't strictly necessary. I know someone who got in with Maths, FM, Physics. OP will definitely be fine, especially considering biology and psychology are fairly writey.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think so - most unis don't care what subjects your A levels are in for Law as long as you can show some evidence of being able to write well - either through an essay based subject, a relevant EPQ, taking part in essay writing competitions etc. You are doing Psychology which whilst not technically an essay based subject, does require good language skills to get the top marks.

As long as you can demonstrate your passion for Law in other ways, it doesn't have to be shown through your A level subject choice - the advice is always to pick the subjects you are best at
Right on, Harrys! Top advice :adore:
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
Right on, Harrys! Top advice :adore:
Thanks 😊
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Law is seen as a logical subject, and sciences are very logical and evidence based. Therefore science qualifications and a law degree go rather well together!
lunarr.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
thank you all so much for the answers! I feel a lot more reassured, and ill be keeping an eye out for any potential law super curriculars. are there any specific opportunities that would help my case? ill try to get placements at law firms and other basic work experiences, but I can’t find any related competitions to enter in.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look out for Cambridge essay competitions and go to the law courts to observe cases
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (12)
7.19%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (28)
16.77%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (27)
16.17%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (24)
14.37%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (45)
26.95%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (31)
18.56%

Watched Threads