The Student Room Group

St Andrews A990 2020 Entry

Welcome to the University of St Andrews A990 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/subjects/medicine/medicine-bsc-a990/

For entry requirements click: (see above)

St Andrews Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6346122

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Anyone applying?
I applied to a990. Hoping to get in! What did you get in GCSEs/ ucat?
did anyone hear back from them yet??
I believe a few people did for Chemistry only..
Reply 5
Original post by gymnast82
did anyone hear back from them yet??

nothing yet... not sure if its a good sign that nothing was sent out yet or not .
Original post by Om Juju
nothing yet... not sure if its a good sign that nothing was sent out yet or not .

Look I do not think you should worry, and this is coming from me that St. Andrews is my first choice of all the five. They have specifically specified that they will mainly send away offers after the UCAS deadline which is the 15th of January. So do not worry :wink:
Original post by SophieBer
I believe a few people did for Chemistry only..

wait im talking about the Canadian med program
Reply 8

yes pls.. the canadian med program ... anyone heard anyhting ? is st andrews a late or early offerer ? have heard nothing
Reply 9
this chat is so dead but im sure interviews have been sent out at this point??
Yes
Reply 11
ok.
Ive got an interview for A990

Oh sorry I thought you talked about St. Andrews in general :smile:
Can you switch from the a990 to the a100? Also if you are Canadian with UK citizenship can you still apply for foundation year if in the a990?
I'm a half alum of this program, did my st andrews years and then was accepted to a canadian medical school and left. I strongly recommend you think carefully about this program. In the past there was an uproar as the initial few cohorts of students did not match well to residencies in Canada and they decided to let current students stay in the UK for further training, but they don't promise this to new students. The match rate to Canadian residencies is not high, it has been in the 25-30% range directly from medical school and another 10-15% have matched since. This is the match rate for those in years where they did not have the option to stay in the UK.

My advice is to try for a different UK medical school in the A100 stream, that way you are guaranteed to stay in the UK. This program is too much of a risk and the help in Alberta is always going to be limited. Canadian medical schools and residencies prioritize their own and the number of IMG spots is limited and highly competitive. Having been on both side of things (img and cmg) I have noticed the difference. Even those who match still will face some discrimination when it comes to getting academic medicine jobs in Canada.
(edited 4 years ago)
Matching aside. How was the teaching at the school? Does it focus on certain bits like clinical training and research? Is there clinical placements early on?
hi, has anyone received an offer? and where is everyone from in canada?
Reply 18
I got the offer of A990 yesterday, I am from Vancouver
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi,I have few questions if you could reply in detail much appreciated. So we can decide to apply for our child.1- Average how many Canadian seats filled out of 20 every year??2- Can you provide data for last 5 years how many canadian students get Residency in Canada after moving back to Canada?3- Canadian Students can do Residency in Scotland/UK after 6 years completing? 4- Canadian Students can do Residency in USA after completing 06 Years Medical education?5- Is it worth getting degrees from St Andrews

Latest