did I do something wrong? Watch

tvshowaddict2112
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
so I dont have any friends at school and I often keep to myself.

but this time I had interrupt this girls conversation.

she was talking about how she could afford to go to university and that the student loan wouldn't even cover the cost of her course as she though you only get £6,000 total. she seemed to be really stressing out and I wanted to help.

I know student loans vary, but I'm sure this is only the maintenance part of the loan and that all student loans cover the average course cost as my sister has just gone off to uni so I have a bit of background knowledge.

so I just informed her that she will be able to go to university because the student loans cover the cost of the course in most cases and that it's just the maintenance loan that varies and I then suggested that she should speak to the careers adviser in school to talk through her concerns as this would help her a lot to better understand as this is what I did and I found it very beneficial.

she gave me the most dirtiest look and now I have found that she is no longer going to university.

I just hope I didnt do anything wrong because she is quite smart, at least I think so and I think she would benefit from university.

I know university isnt for everyone and that's fine, there are a lot of other paths to go down that are just as beneficial but it just seemed like she only made the decision not to go after I spoke to her.

I feel like I cant even say anything about it to her now because ever since the beginning of sixthform I have gotten this vibe off of her that she doesn't like me and I've tried to talk to her before but I just felt like I was talking to myself as she wasnt interested.
theJoyfulGeek
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by tvshowaddict2112)
so I dont have any friends at school and I often keep to myself.

but this time I had interrupt this girls conversation.

she was talking about how she could afford to go to university and that the student loan wouldn't even cover the cost of her course as she though you only get £6,000 total. she seemed to be really stressing out and I wanted to help.

I know student loans vary, but I'm sure this is only the maintenance part of the loan and that all student loans cover the average course cost as my sister has just gone off to uni so I have a bit of background knowledge.

so I just informed her that she will be able to go to university because the student loans cover the cost of the course in most cases and that it's just the maintenance loan that varies and I then suggested that she should speak to the careers adviser in school to talk through her concerns as this would help her a lot to better understand as this is what I did and I found it very beneficial.

she gave me the most dirtiest look and now I have found that she is no longer going to university.

I just hope I didnt do anything wrong because she is quite smart, at least I think so and I think she would benefit from university.

I know university isnt for everyone and that's fine, there are a lot of other paths to go down that are just as beneficial but it just seemed like she only made the decision not to go after I spoke to her.

I feel like I cant even say anything about it to her now because ever since the beginning of sixthform I have gotten this vibe off of her that she doesn't like me and I've tried to talk to her before but I just felt like I was talking to myself as she wasnt interested.
Not everyone will like you. It's just one of the facts of life. You will not like everyone. Not everyone will like you.

You don't need everyone to like you.

Perhaps she made the decision a while ago. You will never know. Money can be a sensitive topic and interrupting someone's conversation can be considered rude. Also, people can find it slightly annoying when someone explains something to them in a way which could be viewed as patronising.

Having said that, I probably would've done the same as you. :lol:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (167)
26.94%
Not great so far... (224)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (119)
19.19%

Watched Threads