chazzkin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I worked at a boarding kennels for a very short period of time (a couple of days) during the summer. I was there for work experience as I want to apply for vet medicine this October. I didn't realise that you have to fill out extra forms to describe the work experience you've done, and that you have to give the name and phone numbers of staff at the establishments.

I didn't sign any forms, and I don't have any letters from the staff at the kennels. They were very disorganised there, and there was a high staff turnover. I doubt they'd remember me if the vet school asked to check up on my work experience. Do they check work experience? I am applying to Bristol, Edinburgh, and the RVC.

I am very low on work experience, I think. I've done about 10 days with various vets, and a few days with this kennel. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Nessie162
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You currently don't meet entry requirements for RVC or Bristol.
For RVC you'd need 10 days at the kennels and for Bristol 5 full days, and from your post I assume you have less than that?

Also, they do tend to check the references (not everyones, not all of them, and not always though) . For RVC however, you'd also need to bring physical copies to the interview (enough to cover the minimum requirements). There's no way of going around that unfortunately. Not sure about the other unis.
username2703735
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
They obviously cannot check everyone - but typically they will be looking for outliers
People with suspiciously high, or in your case low, placements are far more likely to get taken into question and put under some scrutiny. I would highly recommend not applying for veterinary medicine this year with such low work experience requirements it is a waste of an application cycle.
Choppygirl11
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I imagine they would do random checks as anyone could put anything. I thought that most places required a letter headed reference or at least an email ?
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I agree with VMD100 , best to sit out this application cycle, take a gap year and get at least the minimum required amounts of work experience before applying. Even without the minimum requirements I'd advise you do more work experience as how can you know it is the career for you if you don't?
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Currently your application is going in the bin if you tell the truth. You may get found out if you lie. Get the work experience and apply next year.

The whole point is to find out if this is what you want to do and show you are serious. Most people who get in have experience going back years and many times more than the minimum.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (163)
59.93%
I don't have everything I need (109)
40.07%

Watched Threads