The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Offers 2020

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GreenCub
I got an email from Warwick saying they couldn't give me my MAT score.

Did they give any reason? I think they said they would tell the scores after March, or something to that effect.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by PADE123
Did they give any reason? I think they said they would tell the scores after March, or something to that effect.

No they didn't. This was in my email:

"If you have any questions relating to your offer please contact UG Admissions, but do note that we are not able to disclose the results you received in your MAT or TMUA."
Ok, I see.
Original post by Mvv33
Will firm warwick once i hear back from everyone, got 58 in the MAT and didn't get a reduced offer so gotta grind for those 3 A*s! Insurance will likely be 3As at Kings.

Have you thought about doing STEP I instead? Unless you're quite confident in that third A-level. There are people I know that got A*AA(B?) and a 1 and got in, and people who got A*A*A with no STEP that didn't.
Original post by Mvv33
Will firm warwick once i hear back from everyone, got 58 in the MAT and didn't get a reduced offer so gotta grind for those 3 A*s! Insurance will likely be 3As at Kings.

Who are you still waiting to hear from?

I haven’t got a reduced offer either so if I firm Warwick I will have to work hard to get 3A*s. I really don’t want to do STEP as I’d rather focus on my A levels and get the required grades.
Original post by GreenCub
No they didn't. This was in my email:

"If you have any questions relating to your offer please contact UG Admissions, but do note that we are not able to disclose the results you received in your MAT or TMUA."

I thought if you asked for your MAT or TMUA score Warwick would tell you after March.

If you haven’t got at least 60% in MAT you probably don’t qualify for a reduced offer. Considering it was a tough paper and Oxford applicant average is 44.9% getting 60% for a reduced offer seems harsh.
Original post by Anonymous
I thought if you asked for your MAT or TMUA score Warwick would tell you after March.

If you haven’t got at least 60% in MAT you probably don’t qualify for a reduced offer. Considering it was a tough paper and Oxford applicant average is 44.9% getting 60% for a reduced offer seems harsh.

Does seem that way but when you think that the MAT is supposed to substitute a 1 in a STEP, (would usually be STEP I for those not also applying Cambridge) it makes more sense.
Original post by _gcx
Does seem that way but when you think that the MAT is supposed to substitute a 1 in a STEP, (would usually be STEP I for those not also applying Cambridge) it makes more sense.

I know you were suggesting to do STEP 1 but as my school doesn’t prepare or support us with STEP, I would have to prepare for it in my own time which means less time spent on A level revision. Therefore I feel I might as well work hard and get 3A*s and then work on STEP 1 in the summer prior to starting university. Does that sound reasonable?
I know you were suggesting to do STEP 1 but as my school doesn’t prepare or support us with STEP, I would have to prepare for it in my own time which means less time spent on A level revision. Therefore I feel I might as well work hard and get 3A*s and then work on STEP 1 in the summer prior to starting university. Does that sound reasonable?

Yes - I am sure if the university released stats the majority (or at least a good number) of people will have got through on the alternative 3A* offer so there is nothing wrong with this strategy but I would say that you more so put all your eggs in one basket.

Judging from this year, if you miss the A* in your third A-level, you have a very real danger of getting rejected, whereas if you miss the A-level offer and meet the STEP one they'll be more sympathetic, (as I said, I know a few people who missed the [even reduced] A-level offer but got in with a 1 in STEP I. Not sure how their fourth A-level would have played a part however) probably because it's far more indicative of potential. I'm pretty sure it was said somewhere that a large number (about 25%?) of incoming students missed the offer. How many of these had STEP, I don't know sorry.

A lot of students have to study for STEP by themselves, I'd say schools that are savvy with STEP are in the vast minority, so don't let that put a block in your mind.

Not trying to frown on your choice at all, I just think doing STEP I allows more things to go wrong. I know not everyone will feel like that, and feel that it's more worth the effort to knuckle down on the third A-level to get an A*. I wasn't as confident in doing this so wouldn't have done that.

What's your insurance, out of interest?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
Yes - I am sure if the university released stats the majority (or at least a good number) of people will have got through on the alternative 3A* offer so there is nothing wrong with this strategy but I would say that you more so put all your eggs in one basket.

Judging from this year, if you miss the A* in your third A-level, you have a very real danger of getting rejected, whereas if you miss the A-level offer and meet the STEP one they'll be more sympathetic, (as I said, I know a few people who missed the [even reduced] A-level offer but got in with a 1 in STEP I. Not sure how their fourth A-level would have played a part however) probably because it's far more indicative of potential. I'm pretty sure it was said somewhere that a large number (about 25%?) of incoming students missed the offer. How many of these had STEP, I don't know sorry.

A lot of students have to study for STEP by themselves, I'd say schools that are savvy with STEP are in the vast minority, so don't let that put a block in your mind.

Not trying to frown on your choice at all, I just think doing STEP I allows more things to go wrong. I know not everyone will feel like that, and feel that it's more worth the effort to knuckle down on the third A-level to get an A*. I wasn't as confident in doing this so wouldn't have done that.

What's your insurance, out of interest?

Durham or Bath
Durham or Bath

Nice - never looked at Durham but quite liked Bath. Could've been my insurance if I didn't get a cam offer.
Original post by _gcx
Nice - never looked at Durham but quite liked Bath. Could've been my insurance if I didn't get a cam offer.

So did you do step 1 as well as step 2&3?
Does anyone know when we apply for accommodation?
Does anyone know when we apply for accommodation?

Opens late March (think it was 31st March last year). The deadline for guaranteed accommodation (only "guaranteed" if warwick is your firm) is sometime in July but I know people who came through clearing that got accommodation.
Original post by _gcx
Opens late March (think it was 31st March last year). The deadline for guaranteed accommodation (only "guaranteed" if warwick is your firm) is sometime in July but I know people who came through clearing that got accommodation.

Thank you
Anyone debating between Warwick and UCL?
Anyone debating between Warwick and UCL?

would probably help to say the subject!
Original post by _gcx
would probably help to say the subject!

maths
maths

I just realised that this was the maths thread not the offer holder one sorry!

I was choosing between Warwick, Bath and UCL for my insurance last year. The UCL course looked good, but I really didn't like the prospect of studying in London. Bath was the opposite problem - the place was absolutely lovely but the course seemed quite slow paced and applied. Ultimately went for Warwick and I'm there now.

I'd recommend reading up on the module selection at UCL and Warwick and seeing if it's your type of thing. If I remember correctly the UCL course has a compulsory fluid dynamics module.

If you have visited both, this will help, but it'll be hard to do so now because of the current situation.
Original post by _gcx
I just realised that this was the maths thread not the offer holder one sorry!

I was choosing between Warwick, Bath and UCL for my insurance last year. The UCL course looked good, but I really didn't like the prospect of studying in London. Bath was the opposite problem - the place was absolutely lovely but the course seemed quite slow paced and applied. Ultimately went for Warwick and I'm there now.

I'd recommend reading up on the module selection at UCL and Warwick and seeing if it's your type of thing. If I remember correctly the UCL course has a compulsory fluid dynamics module.

If you have visited both, this will help, but it'll be hard to do so now because of the current situation.

I went to the post offer holder days at UCL and Warwick and slightly prefered UCL, I much prefer the idea of living in london compared to Covnentry/Lemington Spa. But Warwick has a very strong reputation for maths and from reading posts on the studentroom it seems the general opinion is that warwick is better.

I'm considering going internationally to do a masters/work so the international reputation of UCL is a factor. Is it because the course at Warwick is more challenging than UCL why many choose to study there?

Quick Reply

Latest