The Student Room Group

Giving up medical career

hi,
not sure what the purpose of this post is maybe it'll be just to admit to myself that medicine is just not happening for me.
This is my third time applying to medicine and i know it won't go well because my UCAT score is too low and more and more unis are becoming UCAT heavy. The qualifications i have limit my options to ucat unis instead of BMAT unis, which is almost all unis anyway so that's not the problem.
The problem is I sat my ucat three times and i can't seem to get a good score at all, i just can't get my head round it. You might think I'd improve score by resitting but i literally got my worst score this time lol.

I'm gonna be 23 soon an if i decide to reapply the 4th time i'll be 24 when i start. I am getting too old for it imo, it sounds stupid but i am just falling behind in everything. My friends and people around my probably pity me, i know it by the way they look at me when we talk about career etc.
Well lets hear your thoughts on what I should do because I really don't know anymore.
thanks
Reply 1
Firstly, since this is your 3rd try, you must have a passion for medicine. I know this is a cliche but you should never give up on your ambitions- the UCAT is a really annoying hurdle but can be overcome through using Medify. I did horribly myself but I suggest you take the BMAT as many of my friends also use that as a backup.

I think you should sit down, take a breather and pull together reasons for doing medicine. From then perhaps invest in Medify which is quite very accurate and then dedicate time into that.

I hope I helped, Best wishes for the future! :smile:
Original post by faiima
hi,
not sure what the purpose of this post is maybe it'll be just to admit to myself that medicine is just not happening for me.
This is my third time applying to medicine and i know it won't go well because my UCAT score is too low and more and more unis are becoming UCAT heavy. The qualifications i have limit my options to ucat unis instead of BMAT unis, which is almost all unis anyway so that's not the problem.
The problem is I sat my ucat three times and i can't seem to get a good score at all, i just can't get my head round it. You might think I'd improve score by resitting but i literally got my worst score this time lol.

I'm gonna be 23 soon an if i decide to reapply the 4th time i'll be 24 when i start. I am getting too old for it imo, it sounds stupid but i am just falling behind in everything. My friends and people around my probably pity me, i know it by the way they look at me when we talk about career etc.
Well lets hear your thoughts on what I should do because I really don't know anymore.
thanks

I just started medicine this year (also after my 4th application). I'm 24 years old too. I'm definitely not the oldest on my course. I can imagine you're going through a very rough patch in terms of motivation, but don't give up. You will definitely get there eventually. You'll never be too old to be a doctor. Don't let anyone bring you down, or tell you otherwise. The best thing I ever did was clean out my circle of friends. I ditched anyone who didn't believe in me and doubted my abilities. Admittedly that left me with very little friends, but I do think it helps. Good luck, you'll get there! Never self doubt!! 💪🏼💪🏼
Reply 3
Original post by H201401
Firstly, since this is your 3rd try, you must have a passion for medicine. I know this is a cliche but you should never give up on your ambitions- the UCAT is a really annoying hurdle but can be overcome through using Medify. I did horribly myself but I suggest you take the BMAT as many of my friends also use that as a backup.

I think you should sit down, take a breather and pull together reasons for doing medicine. From then perhaps invest in Medify which is quite very accurate and then dedicate time into that.

I hope I helped, Best wishes for the future! :smile:

I did use medify but i don't know how people do so well, i tried, I did my best but still...
Reply 4
Original post by john howard
I just started medicine this year (also after my 4th application). I'm 24 years old too. I'm definitely not the oldest on my course. I can imagine you're going through a very rough patch in terms of motivation, but don't give up. You will definitely get there eventually. You'll never be too old to be a doctor. Don't let anyone bring you down, or tell you otherwise. The best thing I ever did was clean out my circle of friends. I ditched anyone who didn't believe in me and doubted my abilities. Admittedly that left me with very little friends, but I do think it helps. Good luck, you'll get there! Never self doubt!! 💪🏼💪🏼

That's reassuring to hear, I am happy for you. Thank you for the encouragement :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending