Really struggling with English everything

Watch
AnonymousJD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Not to brag, but i believe i'm an averagely smart person. I'm predicted 8's in all my chosen subjects and got into to triple science and am doing higher maths. The only problem is English language an literature. I just... don't get it at all. I'm average at writing stories and i'm an avid reader, but i just don't understand how people analyse quotes. Sure, I can tell you "it's a metaphor" or "oh, that's personification", but that's literally it. I wouldn't be able to tell you why it's there, what it means, or why the author put it in there. I'm pretty sure you need a high EQ for English, because NONE of Charles Darwin's sentences in the Christmas Carol made me empathise with Scrooge, and to h*ll with answering "how does blah blah use blah blah blah to make the reader feel blah blah blah". Am I the only one who feels that English GSCE is just added in to remind me everyday what an insensitive, detached freak I am, or is that just me?
insert_variable
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm completely the same. I do fine in STEM subjects but Liberal Arts will probably be the death of me. I just don't know how to revise English to get better at it; how do I even begin to think in a way where I find symbolism in the smallest of quotes!
insert_variable
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by insert_variable)
I'm completely the same. I do fine in STEM subjects but Liberal Arts will probably be the death of me. I just don't know how to revise English to get better at it; how do I even begin to think in a way where I find symbolism in the smallest of quotes!
LMAOOOO! Coming back to this post a year later.
I did okay in science but somehow managed to get a 9 in English Lit/Lang.
The human mind works in mysterious ways.
Amira_Jade
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by insert_variable)
LMAOOOO! Coming back to this post a year later.
I did okay in science but somehow managed to get a 9 in English Lit/Lang.
The human mind works in mysterious ways.
Lmao, I know this was a year ago but I'm finding it mildly amusing that the OP studied 'A christmas Carol' but thought the whole time it was by Charles Darwin lmao. It's Charles Dickens. I don't think Darwin was thinking about Scrooge when he did origin of the species lol.

I love this though, it's made my day Also congrats on your grades. 9s are awesome!
Last edited by Amira_Jade; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads