The Student Room Group

Is this considered as an extenuating circumstances VERY URGENT???!!!!

After receiving my horrible A-level grades (BCC) and rejected from a very good uni, I decided to retake all three of my A-levels. After arranging a tutor, I had to explain the reason why I thought I failed which was that after a recent internal family event, it escalated to me fighting my dad (physically, and something I really regret), as I was also very stressed after doing my first exam. After this, I literally wasn't able to focus on any of my exam, and I started suffering from depression. My tutor persuaded me to present this when reapplying to uni. However, when I told my friend about this, he said I shouldn't mention this since this is a "domestic" issue, and it wouldn't help me. What should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Entanglement
After receiving my horrible A-level grades (BCC) and rejected from a very good uni, I decided to retake all three of my A-levels. After arranging a tutor, I had to explain the reason why I thought I failed which was that after a recent internal family event, it escalated to me fighting my dad (physically, and something I really regret), as I was also very stressed after doing my first exam. After this, I literally wasn't able to focus on any of my exam, and I started suffering from depression. My tutor persuaded me to present this when reapplying to uni. However, when I told my friend about this, he said I shouldn't mention this since this is a "domestic" issue, and it wouldn't help me. What should I do?

Not sure saying you are prone to becoming violent under pressure is going to help you get in anywhere.
Reply 2
Original post by King42415
I don't think they'd necessarily tell UCAS they attacked their dad :u:

You never know on here!:confused:
Original post by Entanglement

Even if issues surrounding exam performance find their way to the UCAS form, they should never surface in your personal statement. They should only be mentioned by your referee in the reference. Let your referee find a suitable form of words to explain your pugilistic tendencies.
A good statement and supporting note might help you or you may need to reapply next year. Have a good chat with uni and try to build a good rapport/understanding.

Quick Reply

Latest