Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Name:  Grow Your Grades.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  143.9 KB

Hello, everyone!

I'm QueenAelin, and after two years of lurking in the GYG forums and appreciating it all from afar, I’ve finally decided to create my own little paradise in this corner of the internet! :angel:

I’m a bit of an… unconventional entry. :blush: I left mainstream education at the age of 14 after being diagnosed with multiple chronic illnesses. Unfortunately, the pain and overall fatigue got too much for me to thrive in a traditional school environment. Thankfully, after over a year of floundering, a wonderful tuition service took me on partway through year 12. I managed to attain four GCSEs (I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but at the time it felt like the biggest accomplishment of my life! Success is always relative :thumbsup:), but there wasn’t enough funding for me to continue on to A-levels, and I wasn’t sure if I could do them either. :sigh: Now, I’m feeling as if I’m ready to move forward with my educational journey! I’m terrified, but I’m hoping GYG can motivate me to do my absolute best at staying motivated and focused on my studies.

There’s not a lot of people with chronic illness on this forum, nor people over the age of 16 doing GCSEs, so I hope I can offer a unique perspective on this aspect of academic life! If anyone has any questions about mature studies, don’t be afraid to send me a message. I’m always happy to help! :hugs:

So, let's jump into the interesting stuff!

GCSEs

Spoiler:
Show
English Literature - A*
English Language - A*
History - A*
Maths - B

The Subjects I'm Taking

Spoiler:
Show
AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
And you’ll also get to be hearing about my language learning escapades (spoiler alert: every time I can’t pronounce the French “r”, I cry!)

Goals For This Year

Spoiler:
Show
1. I want to share my academic journey, as well as my personal growth, with all of you. I also hope to share in everyone else’s highs and lows as well!
2. I’d like to develop a consistent daily regime and maintain it until the summer!
3. I need to finally figure out what study techniques work best for me. I also need to stop procrastinating until the last minute and start revising three months before the exam! :embarrassed:
4. Develop a more positive mindset and push any negative thoughts about my academic performance and personal life into a giant, burning rubbish bin in the back of my mind!
5. Read, read, and read some more!

Post-GCSE Plans

Spoiler:
Show
Ah, the all-important “but what will you do next?” The truth is that I have no idea what my future will hold. The nature of chronic illnesses is that they’re, well, chronic. They also like to fluctuate in severity and multiply. So, I’ll talk about my ideal future instead.

I’m hoping to go on to do an Access to Higher Education course in either medicine or social sciences. I’ve always had a love for history, but I’m so passionate about medicine (especially anatomy and physiology), and I like to think I have a charming enough personality to make it as a GP. :lol: My dream university is Cambridge – I’ve had three Cambridge hoodies rotating in my wardrobe since I was 11. I don’t think Cambridge is likely anymore though, so I’m aiming for somewhere like Canterbury. I could spend a whole week in the cathedral alone, so if I do ever get in, I expect I’ll need to be dragged away from it… :heart:

My Interests

Spoiler:
Show
No matter how motivated and driven we are to succeed academically, we all have things we like to do in our spare time. Here are some of my favourite things to do in the world :
1. I love the French language! :france: I hated French in school but learning the language independently has made me realise how beautiful and hypnotic it really is. My goal is to visit France at some point in the future and speak no English at all!
2. Listening to music makes me ridiculously happy, especially classical music, but I also have a soft spot for Taylor Swift that I’ll never tell anyone outside of the internet about!
3. Literature, literature, literature! Reading has got to be my favourite past time. I’ll read pretty much anything – classics, non-fiction, young adult, etc. I’m reading The Collection: Being Human by New Scientist and City of Bones by Victoria Schwab at the moment!
4. I love classical history, especially with regards to architecture, philosophy, and mythology. I’m thinking about dabbling in Latin, but I care about my sanity, y’know?
5. There are so many movies and TVs that I love, but my top hits are (anything) Marvel, Pride and Prejudice, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Labyrinth, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Peaky Blinders, Game of Thrones, The 100, Anne with an E, and Sanditon.
6. As someone with Raynaud's syndrome, I'm a big fan of water bottles. They're the real unsung heroes! :lovie:

Blog Updates

Spoiler:
Show
Fingers crossed that I can keep this up long enough to even have updates! (I’m a chronic procrastinator, but I love myself anyway! :cute:)

I can’t believe I’ve actually set this up! :grin: I hope everyone is enjoying GYG so far this year, and I hope we all achieve the goals we’ve set out for ourselves!
Last edited by QueenAelin; 4 weeks ago
hope2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'll be following your GYG
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by hope2002)
I'll be following your GYG
Thank you! I've just looked over your GYG thread and I'm excited for your next post, especially as we're both doing science subjects!
SashaSummer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi! Also want to learn french and just want to ask, what resources have you used/are using? Good luck with everything x
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by SashaSummer)
hi! Also want to learn french and just want to ask, what resources have you used/are using? Good luck with everything x
Hi, it's so nice to meet someone else who's also interested in French! The book I use the most is Easy French Step-by-Step by Myrna Bell Rochester. It's been fantastic at giving me a solid grounding in grammar basics and it makes everything so easy to understand! I also use Mastering French Vocabulary by Wolfgang von Fischer and Anne-Marie Le Plouhinec. It has a ridiculous amount of vocabulary words and they're all grouped and presented by themes, e.g. business terms, medical terms, household terms, etc. I've set myself a goal of learning 10 vocabulary words a day and it's going great so far!

I'm also a big advocate of Duolingo and their flashcard app, Tinycards. These two are pretty much a must for any language learner these days! It makes language learning feel fun instead of like a chore.:^_^: If you're into podcasts, Coffee Break French and News in Slow French are also really great!
SashaSummer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by QueenAelin)
Hi, it's so nice to meet someone else who's also interested in French! The book I use the most is Easy French Step-by-Step by Myrna Bell Rochester. It's been fantastic at giving me a solid grounding in grammar basics and it makes everything so easy to understand! I also use Mastering French Vocabulary by Wolfgang von Fischer and Anne-Marie Le Plouhinec. It has a ridiculous amount of vocabulary words and they're all grouped and presented by themes, e.g. business terms, medical terms, household terms, etc. I've set myself a goal of learning 10 vocabulary words a day and it's going great so far!

I'm also a big advocate of Duolingo and their flashcard app, Tinycards. These two are pretty much a must for any language learner these days! It makes language learning feel fun instead of like a chore.:^_^: If you're into podcasts, Coffee Break French and News in Slow French are also really great!
Thank you! It's a beautiful language, shame I didn't take it at A level but this is my chance now.
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
GCSE Preparation

Hi guys! So, instead of waiting until I start classes next week, I thought I'd make my first post all about the preparation I've been doing to start getting ready for Thursday! :woo: This week has mostly been about shopping, admin, and organisation, and those are three things I love to do!

It was my birthday two weeks, and everyone in my family knows that the best presents to throw my way are book vouchers, so I decided to hoard them all and use them to buy supplies for the new school year (and maybe one or two treats, too!). After weeks of giddy anticipation, I let myself loose on the town today, and I did not hold back! Here's a brief summary of why my brain feels all fuzzy and why my sister had to skip her gym session:

Textbooks, Fiction Books, and Non-Fiction Books Galore!
The first thing I did was practically drag my sister into Waterstones! Bookshops are my favourite places in the world, and so my sister indulged me by spending half an hour looking around the shop with me, just browsing and picking up books on a whim. In the end, my arms were overflowing and ready to give out on me! :grin: Once we were done, we headed over to our local independent bookstore. Honestly, the owners are some of the loveliest people in the world, and they always make sure to point out books they think I'll like when I visit! I only went into town with the intention of getting my CGP books and one or two fiction books, I swear, but here's what I came out with:

Name:  Textbooks and Books.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  69.0 KB

In my defence, I didn’t get all these books from those two stores… The Body: A Guide for Occupants did come from WHSmith! :laugh: I'm so glad I found all of these books today! I'm going to dive straight into Being Mortal, mostly because I can't get enough of medical books. I'm still trying to decide if Medicine is a subject I want to pursue at university, and these books keep convincing me it's a good idea! I'm also ecstatic about owning the Cambridge Latin Course Book 1! I've been umming and ahing about self-teaching myself Latin alongside French for over a month now, so when I saw it sitting on the shelves, I decided it was a sign from the universe (mostly because I've never seen it out in the wild before today!) and went for it! :^_^: I'm going to use it alongside the new Duolingo Latin course, which I've heard has some faults but is good for vocab memorisation!

Stationary Shopping
So, Paperchase is having a bit of a sale right now, and I had a £5 birthday voucher thanks to my treat me card, so I managed to pick up all the things I'd put on my stationary list! The essentials I needed to get today were: a sharpener, a rubber, a ruler, a to-do list, and one or two notebooks. I managed to get it all (and a few little treats):

Name:  Stationary Haul.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  67.8 KB

And here are the prizes! The notebooks and washi tape were actually from the indie bookstore, but the rest of it was from Paperchase. The sharpener is one of the best I've ever used, and I'm in love with the to-do list I brought! It's beautiful and sophisticated, and I can see myself wanting to have more things to do just to use it! Hopefully, it'll get my doing at least one or two things every day just for the excuse. Also, can we talk about those notebooks for a minute? I've never grabbed two items from a shelf so quickly before… but that might just be because I like anything shiny :laugh: I'm going to use one for my world history notes, but I'm not sure about the other one yet. I might turn it into a revision book or I could use it as a journal. I guess we'll see!

Desk Set Up and Takeaway!
The trip into town exhausted me, so I had a wonderful 90 minute nap where Robb Stark from Game of Thrones professed his love for me :lovie2: Waking up from that was a special kind of agony, but I soldiered on and got myself some snacks so I would be ready and rearing to go for setting up my desk! I've been collecting items for months now, and it was so satisfying to watch everything come together. Here's the final set up:

Name:  Desk Organisation Photos.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  45.9 KB

Yes, those are sloth storage boxes, and yes, I am very proud of them! :loveduck:

Once I'd had a thorough rest, I decided to do a little bit of admin on Notion! :work: I created an overview of units one and two of my biology and chemistry courses. This mostly involved deciding when my lessons were going to start (Thursday), when my first quizzes were going to be (November 15th), and when my mocks exams were going to take place (August 31st). It's hard planning everything by yourself when you're an independent learner, but it's also really rewarding! :^_^: Every time I tick something of my to-do list, I know I'm succeeding all by myself, and it's a really great ego boost :laugh: I'm still quite nervous about how well I'm going to do though. Science has always been something that doesn't come naturally to me, but I'm passionate about the subject, so I hope that'll be enough to see me through to the end! If anyone who's doing biology or chemistry has any words of wisdom, please send them my way! :emog:

My mum decided to treat us to some takeout, which made any worries I had about the new school year fade away! It's kind of hard to be sad when your favourite restaurant makes the best burgers (and yes, I am willing to fight you on that!) They also sell vanilla coke zero, and that's literally the nectar of the Gods, so what's there left to stress about really? :^_^:

I had an amazing day today, and I'm so thankful to my relatives for enabling my shopping addition. I hope to see you all next time when I'll inevitably be questioning all my life choices! :lovie:
Last edited by QueenAelin; 4 days ago
hope2002
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
OH MY GOD I watched Call Me By Your Name for the first time last night and it's my new favourite movie:yeah: My heart skipped a beat when I saw that picture of the book. I've heard the book is even better than the movie:eek:
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
OH MY GOD I watched Call Me By Your Name for the first time last night and it's my new favourite movie:yeah: My heart skipped a beat when I saw that picture of the book. I've heard the book is even better than the movie:eek:
I watched the movie last Wednesday and loved it too! :heart: I've read the first 30 pages and it's really, really good! If you enjoyed the movie, I bet you'll enjoy the book
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I'll be following this GYG! :woo:
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by emilynxlan)
I'll be following this GYG! :woo:
Thank you! I know I'm a little bit late to the party, but I just read through your GYG thread and I'd love to be added to your tag list! Your blog layout is so vibrant and engaging!
hope2002
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I watched the movie last Wednesday and loved it too! :heart: I've read the first 30 pages and it's really, really good! If you enjoyed the movie, I bet you'll enjoy the book
I'll defo give it a read I looked it up and apparently a sequel is being released in a couple weeks as well, for the book:eek:
emilynxlan
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you! I know I'm a little bit late to the party, but I just read through your GYG thread and I'd love to be added to your tag list! Your blog layout is so vibrant and engaging!
1. Better late than never
2. Thank you!! <3
3. I'll add you to the tag list now
laura10203
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
This post is just to add this to my watched.
Also, is your name from the SJM books?
Aurorae
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Ahhhh!! We have so much in common. I’ll be following this GYG ✨ If you’d like any French resources, I study it at A-Level and I’d be happy to send some over!!
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
I'll defo give it a read I looked it up and apparently a sequel is being released in a couple weeks as well, for the book:eek:
I know! I'm so glad I picked up the book now so I can just jump straight into the sequel!
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by laura10203)
This post is just to add this to my watched.
Also, is your name from the SJM books?
It is! Throne of Glass is my favourite book series! :heart:
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by atla1215)
Ahhhh!! We have so much in common. I’ll be following this GYG ✨ If you’d like any French resources, I study it at A-Level and I’d be happy to send some over!!
Thank you! I'm really in need of French resources, so I'll take anything you can send my way!
IH8Studying
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
i also have 4 gcses and one AS. but neither of them are A*s so congrats!!!

tag me if you can pls
laura10203
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It is! Throne of Glass is my favourite book series! :heart:
I knew I recognised the name. Personally, I prefer the Court of Thorns and Roses series but I loved the Throne Of Glass series as well.
I'm glad to see another SJM fan on here.❤️
Good luck with your studying 🍀🍀🍀
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (88)
67.18%
No (43)
32.82%

Watched Threads