QueenAelin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by laura10203)
I knew I recognised the name. Personally, I prefer the Court of Thorns and Roses series but I loved the Throne Of Glass series as well.
I'm glad to see another SJM fan on here.❤️
Good luck with your studying 🍀🍀🍀
ACOTAR is a great series! I just love Rowan a bit too much, which is why TOG wins out :laugh: I'm also really looking forward to her new book coming out in 2020! Good luck with your studying too :crossedf:
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by IH8Studying)
i also have 4 gcses and one AS. but neither of them are A*s so congrats!!!

tag me if you can pls
It's so nice to meet someone else in a similar boat! I'll be sure to tag you in my next post!
SlightlySummer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by QueenAelin)
Attachment 853288

Hello, everyone!

I'm QueenAelin, and after two years of lurking in the GYG forums and appreciating it all from afar, I’ve finally decided to create my own little paradise in this corner of the internet! :angel:

I’m a bit of an… unconventional entry. :blush: I left mainstream education at the age of 14 after being diagnosed with multiple chronic illnesses. Unfortunately, the pain and overall fatigue got too much for me to thrive in a traditional school environment. Thankfully, after over a year of floundering, a wonderful tuition service took me on partway through year 12. I managed to attain four GCSEs (I know that doesn’t sound like a lot, but at the time it felt like the biggest accomplishment of my life! Success is always relative :thumbsup:), but there wasn’t enough funding for me to continue on to A-levels, and I wasn’t sure if I could do them either. :sigh: Now, I’m feeling as if I’m ready to move forward with my educational journey! I’m terrified, but I’m hoping GYG can motivate me to do my absolute best at staying motivated and focused on my studies.

There’s not a lot of people with chronic illness on this forum, nor people over the age of 16 doing GCSEs, so I hope I can offer a unique perspective on this aspect of academic life! If anyone has any questions about mature studies, don’t be afraid to send me a message. I’m always happy to help! :hugs:

So, let's jump into the interesting stuff!

GCSEs

Spoiler:
Show
English Literature - A*
English Language - A*
History - A*
Maths - B

The Subjects I'm Taking

Spoiler:
Show
AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
And you’ll also get to be hearing about my language learning escapades (spoiler alert: every time I can’t pronounce the French “r”, I cry!)

Goals For This Year

Spoiler:
Show
1. I want to share my academic journey, as well as my personal growth, with all of you. I also hope to share in everyone else’s highs and lows as well!
2. I’d like to develop a consistent daily regime and maintain it until the summer!
3. I need to finally figure out what study techniques work best for me. I also need to stop procrastinating until the last minute and start revising three months before the exam! :embarrassed:
4. Develop a more positive mindset and push any negative thoughts about my academic performance and personal life into a giant, burning rubbish bin in the back of my mind!
5. Read, read, and read some more!

Post-GCSE Plans

Spoiler:
Show
Ah, the all-important “but what will you do next?” The truth is that I have no idea what my future will hold. The nature of chronic illnesses is that they’re, well, chronic. They also like to fluctuate in severity and multiply. So, I’ll talk about my ideal future instead.

I’m hoping to go on to do an Access to Higher Education course in either medicine or social sciences. I’ve always had a love for history, but I’m so passionate about medicine (especially anatomy and physiology), and I like to think I have a charming enough personality to make it as a GP. :lol: My dream university is Cambridge – I’ve had three Cambridge hoodies rotating in my wardrobe since I was 11. I don’t think Cambridge is likely anymore though, so I’m aiming for somewhere like Canterbury. I could spend a whole week in the cathedral alone, so if I do ever get in, I expect I’ll need to be dragged away from it… :heart:

My Interests

Spoiler:
Show
No matter how motivated and driven we are to succeed academically, we all have things we like to do in our spare time. Here are some of my favourite things to do in the world :
1. I love the French language! :france: I hated French in school but learning the language independently has made me realise how beautiful and hypnotic it really is. My goal is to visit France at some point in the future and speak no English at all!
2. Listening to music makes me ridiculously happy, especially classical music, but I also have a soft spot for Taylor Swift that I’ll never tell anyone outside of the internet about!
3. Literature, literature, literature! Reading has got to be my favourite past time. I’ll read pretty much anything – classics, non-fiction, young adult, etc. I’m reading The Collection: Being Human by New Scientist and City of Bones by Victoria Schwab at the moment!
4. I love classical history, especially with regards to architecture, philosophy, and mythology. I’m thinking about dabbling in Latin, but I care about my sanity, y’know?
5. There are so many movies and TVs that I love, but my top hits are (anything) Marvel, Pride and Prejudice, The Man From U.N.C.L.E., Labyrinth, the Lord of the Rings trilogy, Peaky Blinders, Game of Thrones, The 100, Anne with an E, and Sanditon.
6. As someone with Raynaud's syndrome, I'm a big fan of water bottles. They're the real unsung heroes! :lovie:

Blog Updates

Spoiler:
Show
Fingers crossed that I can keep this up long enough to even have updates! (I’m a chronic procrastinator, but I love myself anyway! :cute:)

I can’t believe I’ve actually set this up! :grin: I hope everyone is enjoying GYG so far this year, and I hope we all achieve the goals we’ve set out for ourselves!
Please do tag me on your journey, btw I can totally relate with finding it difficult to pronounce the French 'r' :argh:
and that Latin textbook brought back so many memories :lol:
good luck!
IH8Studying
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's so nice to meet someone else in a similar boat! I'll be sure to tag you in my next post!
Definitely! May i ask, what chronic conditions you have? i relate to you but you seem so determined and that makes me so happy! i wanna be as positive as you
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Please do tag me on your journey, btw I can totally relate with finding it difficult to pronounce the French 'r' :argh:
and that Latin textbook brought back so many memories :lol:
good luck!
Of course I'll tag you! The French "r" really cripples my soul. At times, I'll sit at my desk and just keep trying to say "garçon" and "merci" over and over :laugh: I was really nervous about starting Latin, but the pronunciation doesn't make me want to cry, so I think I'll handle it better than French!
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by IH8Studying)
Definitely! May i ask, what chronic conditions you have? i relate to you but you seem so determined and that makes me so happy! i wanna be as positive as you
I have ME/CFS, ulcerative colitis, and Raynaud's syndrome. I'm also being investigated for some problems with my elbow that might be rheumatoid arthritis. It's definitely not been an easy few years! I can't go to school full time, so I'm just taking everything at my own pace at home. Since I've stopped comparing myself to my peers and just gone with my own flow, I've felt so much better about my learning! If you ever need any advice or someone to talk to, my inbox is always open!
IH8Studying
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I have ME/CFS, ulcerative colitis, and Raynaud's syndrome. I'm also being investigated for some problems with my elbow that might be rheumatoid arthritis. It's definitely not been an easy few years! I can't go to school full time, so I'm just taking everything at my own pace at home. Since I've stopped comparing myself to my peers and just gone with my own flow, I've felt so much better about my learning! If you ever need any advice or someone to talk to, my inbox is always open!
Oh i don’t know what any of them are. Yes i have plenty of questions so i’ll pm you so i don’t derail the thread x
awjackson
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Well done for those amazing results. Keep up the motivation with biology and chemistry.
I may be biased as I’m doing my GCSE this year but I would 100000% recommend doing Latin, personally I love it, especially with interests in mythology history and languages. The CLC book is sooo good, that is what I learnt with.
Also I think that I also have Raynauds syndrome but I haven’t been diagnosed
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by awjackson)
Well done for those amazing results. Keep up the motivation with biology and chemistry.
I may be biased as I’m doing my GCSE this year but I would 100000% recommend doing Latin, personally I love it, especially with interests in mythology history and languages. The CLC book is sooo good, that is what I learnt with.
Also I think that I also have Raynauds syndrome but I haven’t been diagnosed
Thank you!
I'm starting Latin next Wednesday, and I'm really excited! Language learning is something I'm steadily coming to regard as my favourite subject! I do love classical history, so I'm hoping it will be a good motivator. Do you have any other recommendations for textbooks? I know I need a dictionary, but I'm not sure what one is best :confused:
Raynaud's sucks, doesn't it? I had to wear a coat to the beach this summer because the wind kept triggering it. I always look like I could be cast in a live action smurf movie :laugh:
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Not So) Fruitful Beginnings

Hi guys! So, this last week hasn’t been very kind on me, and I spent most of my time in a flu-like slumber. Because I didn’t get as much studying done as I’d hoped, I didn’t see the point of updating until today. Starting Monday, I’ll be updating you all at least twice a week, depending on how much work I’ve gotten done. Until then, I thought I’d give you all a summary of what’s been going on these past few days! :woo:

Monday...
So, as you’ve probably gathered from the title of this week’s post, the first half of my week didn’t go according to plan. On Monday, I woke up at 10:45am, and I barely managed to drag myself out of bed, and the fact that I did is nothing short of a miracle! My main goal for the day was to organise my weekly schedule, and I think I managed to do a good job:
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Weekly timetable5.png
Views: 15
Size:  125.7 KB

I’ve decided I’m going to be doing two lessons on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays, and I’ll be doing three lessons on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. The lessons will be divided into two 15-minute sessions with a 30-minute break in the middle. My study sessions will also be 10 minutes each! Hopefully, this’ll stop my fatigue from overwhelming me! I know this doesn't seem like a lot, but it's really important that I don’t push myself too far, or else I’ll end up in my bed for a week trying to recover. I should also mention that my use of “lessons” is… flimsy. I may just sit down for 15 minutes and watch a crash course course video. The thing is, I have no official exams this year, so as long as I’m making progress and learning new things, I’m counting it as a win!

Oh, and all those gaps? Yeah, they’re my nap times :sleep:

Tuesday...
Tuesday came around snd the devil decided it would be a great day to mess with me! :evil:The cold I'd felt brewing on Monday emerged and left me feeling like I'd run a marathon and then gone on a six-hour binge drinking session. Vivid description, I know, but I was not having a good day. I was meant to be editing some Trello boards, but I decided to focus on resting and recuperating while watching Pride and Prejudice with my dog, because what else do you watch when you're sick and hopped up on Calpol?

Once I finished crying over Elizabeth and Darcy, I decided to squeeze in a short flashcard session. I don’t know if I retained any of the vocabulary words I covered, but it felt really good to do something productive, even if it was a small task that only lasted fifteen minutes! :yep: Once I was done, I was going to reward myself with a snooze, but that’s hard to do when a fully-grown Labrador decides sleeping on your sternum is a great idea. Oh well, what could I do? He’s adorable! :loveduck:

Name:  Hal2.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  515.6 KB

Wednesday...
Wednesday was a little easier on my poor soul, and I managed to sprinkle some Trello organisation sessions throughout the day! I rolled out of my cocoon of bed sheets, pillows, and Labrador at 9:51am after a delightful 12-hour sleepfest and mentally debated with myself whether or not I could have pasta for breakfast. After remembering that I’m morally bankrupt, I heated some up :grin: It was such a lovely day, so I decided to go and do some work in the front garden. My poor, vitamin D deprived bones thanked me by not hurting, which was great! Once I’d rested up, I spent about 20 minutes watching two crash course videos to refresh my memory on cells and atoms. I love how great a teacher Hank Green is, and I think I still remember everything he covered!

Lessons, Naps, and More Naps!
The second half of my week was a lot better than the first! :clap2:I had some residual dizziness, so I occasionally did some lessons in the comfort of my own bed (this is a terrible idea, and I’m a horrible influence, but sometimes you’ve got to compromise for your health!), but I managed to finish all the BIOLOGY, CHEMISTRY, and FRENCH work I set for myself. I’ll give you guys a summary of the past few days:

Biology and Chemistry...
So, my first lessons of the year started on Thursday and finished on Saturday, and I think everything went well! I basically went over how to "work scientifically". This involved learning things like the scientific method, how to calculate risk, and the different ways of presenting data. I haven't covered these skills since I revised for my Year 9 SATS, and I have a feeling they'll come in useful when I start going over the required practical work next year! Here's a picture I took moments before things started to go a little wrong:

Name:  CGP2.JPG
Size:  154.6 KB

It's really embarrassing to admit, but I had a bit of a problem with converting units on Friday. I've learnt this all before, and I do know how it works, but I kept getting all the practice questions wrong. It's been a topic that's frustrated me since KS2, and I was dreading coming up against it again. Honestly, I think this mindset really set me up for failure. After working for twenty minutes, my M.E. was telling me I was going to crash if I kept working, so I decided to come back to it the next day with a rested mind :tea:And, hey, it worked! On Saturday, I did two separate quizzes and scored 10/14 on the first and 16/18 on the second! :thumbsup: I'd have preferred full marks, but I'd just gone from getting 2/14 to almost getting 100% within the space of twenty-four hours, so I decided I'd celebrate instead of beating myself up! I just need to remember the difference between nanometres and micrometres, and I'll be as smart as a ten-year-old!

I made a quizlet on converting units this morning so that the next time I do some practice questions on the topic, I’ll get 100%!

French...
FRENCH was a lot easier on me than BIOLOGY and CHEMISTRY, mostly because I’ve been studying it for a month already!

Name:  FRENCH2.JPG
Views: 12
Size:  163.5 KB

I was covering questions and adverbs this week, which I found pretty easy :^_^: I spent Thursday, Friday, and Saturday going over inversions and where they need to be placed in a sentence as well as the introduction of words like pourquoi (why) and qui (who). Once I'd grasped the basics of the two topics, I moved over to Duolingo to do some practice questions, and I ended up getting every questions but one right! :clap2:I was surprised by how quickly I understood everything, and I'm really pleased with myself! Unfortunately, I went over some old lessons today, and I was tripped up by some rules I'd learnt a while ago. I have to remember that professions have no article when used after être! Thankfully, this seems to be sticking in my head for now, because I didn't get any questions wrong when I did a quick lesson an hour ago!

I also did a round of flashcards on Tinycards for 10 minutes today, and I’ve managed to memorise a new set of verb conjugations! Prendre thought it could beat me, but I rose from the ashes and kicked its butt :ninja2:

Thanks for reading! Hopefully, my next update will be a bit smaller, and involve less flu…

My tag team! :emog:
Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by QueenAelin; 2 days ago
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Oversleeping, Reading, and Hozier!

So, I had a 10:30 am start today after a pretty disastrous night, which was pretty much spent tossing and turning and praying for the sweet relief of unconsciousness :sleep: Because I woke up so late, I wasn’t able to get everything done that I’d hoped, and it’s been that way all week thanks to my newfound insomnia and ice pick headaches! I’ve been stressed out because everything feels like it’s falling apart less than a week before I’ve started :sigh: And, really, it’s my own fault for putting too much pressure on myself. After a few days of moping, I gave myself a pep talk this morning in the bathroom mirror (desperate times and all…) and reminded myself that a) I’m as sick as hell, and b) for someone who’s sick as hell, I’m doing a cracking job! :yep: Once I was done reminding myself that I’m wonderful, I grabbed myself a delightful breakfast of porridge, golden syrup, and bananas, and decided that I’m going to take things easy and only do what I’m able to do. I’ve done some good work this week, and just because I can’t do as much as everyone else, it doesn’t mean it’s not worthy! :rave: So, you might notice I’m doing less than an hour of work a day and only one ten-minute study session, but that’s because I’m not going to push myself too far! Anyway, I felt so much more positive after making these commitments to myself, and I’m planning on sticking to them!

I started my day off with some language learning! :france:Something about studying FRENCH in the morning always gets me pumped up and ready for the day! In the first ten minutes, I went over some notes I’d made on Tuesday about my new topic: Time and Place. I’ve been introduced to stressed pronouns for the first time, so I just wanted to make sure that I’d grasped their different functions and how to use them in relation to the preposition “chez”. Everything else, like using “il est” to tell the time and time expressions, I’ve studied before, so I decided to take a break and listen to Hozier’s sing about Greek mythology for thirty minutes! :music:

Name:  French Photo 3.JPG
Size:  162.7 KB

Once I was thoroughly relaxed and a little in love, I came back and did some Duolingo exercises! I got every question bar two right, mostly because “rentrer” still confuses me a little bit and I completely forgot that “beaucoup de” means “a lot of” :facepalm:Luckily, once I make a mistake, I very rarely get it wrong again, and I passed with flying colours afterwards! :king1: I made a mental note to come back later and go over my flashcards on Rentrer on Tinycards, which I did in the afternoon! I got them all right first time around, so I think I’ve got the verb endings stuck in my head now!

Once I was done with my French, I decided to spend two hours resting and recuperating! I watched the pilot episode of Jane the Virgin on Tuesday and enjoyed it so much, so I decided to lounge on my sofa with a hot water bottle and watch the next two episodes. Can I just say how hooked I am on this show!? :love: I get now why my best friend was so addicted to telenovelas when she was younger because I’m constantly scrambling for the remote to get to the next episode! Honestly, when I realised it was time to turn off the TV, I was a little reluctant to leave…

Anyway, after dragging myself away from Rafael, I preceded to move onto my CHEMISTRY work! I didn’t manage to complete my work on Tuesday because I wasn’t feeling too great in the afternoon, so this was my first official lesson of the week! :woo:I spent the first fifteen minutes going over some old notes I’d taken six months ago on carbon. I basically highlighted and annotated the most important information, just to make sure I grasped everything I’d learnt before.

Name:  Bio and Chem 2.JPG
Views: 8
Size:  144.0 KB

Learning new Information always makes my brain feel like it's been spun around in a blender for a bit, so I decided to take a break for an hour before I came back! :tea:Once I was feeling less brain-foggy, I watched a Crash Course video, mostly because Hank Green does a really good job at explaining how atoms function, which is the first topic on my chemistry specification! :yep: He also covers other topics like polar and non-polar covalent bonds in the video, and I now understand the basics of how these different things work, which will come in really useful in the next few months! I was going to create a quizlet set on atoms once I’d finished, but I was exhausted and frankly ready to curl up into a ball and never come back out again, so I decided to call it a day on my class work. I’ll create the flashcard deck on Saturday, pinky promise!

I ended up watching a few episodes of M*A*S*H while my cat huffed and puffed in my ear from her perch on my shoulder :emog: I had to reluctantly shuffle her off when I found out my mum had made us her special lasagne for dinner though! There wasn’t enough for seconds because my sister wanted some for her lunch tomorrow, so after a little weeping, I pulled myself together :cry2: I decided to spend my study session this evening labelling some subcellular structures in plant and animal cells! It was ridiculously easy and took me… three minutes, tops? As far as studying goes, it didn’t break me! :laugh: I finished the day listening to the audiobook This is Going to Hurt by Adam Kay, which I recommend to everyone! It’s making me laugh a ridiculous amount, which is always what you need!

Hope you’ve all had a wonderful week, and I’ll see you on Monday!

My tag team :lovie:
Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by QueenAelin; 4 days ago
hope2002
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Seems like you've had a productive week. Please keep me tagged x
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by hope2002)
Seems like you've had a productive week. Please keep me tagged x
I'll be sure to add you into my next post!
ThunderBeard
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'll be sure to add you into my next post!
Latin textbook: Cambridge Latin course for basics then Latin for gcse by John Taylor. I only used the 2nd one, but the first one may be more helpful. I’m kind of proud to say this but if you need Latin help, I’m your guy. I’m doing same sciences too so I’ll follow this.
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThunderBeard)
Latin textbook: Cambridge Latin course for basics then Latin for gcse by John Taylor. I only used the 2nd one, but the first one may be more helpful. I’m kind of proud to say this but if you need Latin help, I’m your guy. I’m doing same sciences too so I’ll follow this.
Thanks! I'm going to have to add John Taylor's textbook to my Amazon basket in the morning!
QueenAelin
Rep:
?

Snoozing and Subjects and Structures, Oh My!

Hi guys! Well, what an eventful few days it’s been. My mum was taken to A&E on Sunday with chest pain, and I halted my entire day to hover by my mobile phone waiting for updates. Thankfully, it was just a case of bradycardia caused by her medication, so she was out by the end of the day! Yesterday, she wasn't well enough to go to work, and I've been having a few health problems of my own, so I spent the day in my living room with her, watching the DaVinci Code and trashy ghost hunting shows. All in all, we've spent the past few days feeling dizzy and pretty grumpy!

Name:  angry.png
Views: 6
Size:  271.6 KB

Today I still wasn’t at peak performance, and Ghost Adventures was calling my name, but I decided I’d spread at least fifty minutes of studying throughout the day. And, by some miracle, I did! :woo:At around half one, I felt steady enough to start working on my Latin course! I spent the first twenty minutes going over some basic grammatical requirements for the first unit as well as some vocabulary I’d be introduced to this week. I was a little overwhelmed at first, but I got into the swing of things after a little while.

Name:  Latin Photo 3.JPG
Views: 8
Size:  113.6 KB

After having my designated sanity break, I carried on from the notes I'd started taking last week on some of the points that confused me about the language, like the fact that Latin has no articles and the very, very flexible word order! I decided to do a few exercises to put my new-found knowledge to the test, and it was the ‘subject-object-verb’ order that tripped me up the most! :frown: I have to remember that it’s Frater domi dormit, not Frater dormit domi! Despite the difficulty, I had so much fun! I’m so glad I’ve taken up learning another language, even if I now have another ‘r’ pronunciation that makes me want to end my suffering! :laugh:

Taking a break from classes, my mum wanted to get around to finally planting some herbs we’d picked up a few weeks ago. I’ve already got a succulent selection, so I’m glad to finally be branching out into some new areas! Given that I’m studying biology this year, I’m planning on using them in some experiments I’ve been cooking up. I want to get used to planning, enacting, and reporting on experiments so that I can ace any practical work in my exams! Those poor little seedlings don’t know what’s coming to them…

After a quick catnap, I moved onto my first official biology topic: eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells! Thankfully, I love cell biology, so my reading went over like a breeze :yep: I realised that the topic doesn’t really require notes, so I decided to make some flashcards on quizlet! I quizzed myself for ten minutes using different test features. I remember quite a lot about the topic from the work I did in Year 9, so I think I have most of the subcellular structures of different cells memorised! :yeah:I haven’t come across ribosomes before, but after sighing obnoxiously a half a dozen times, I think I remember its function!

Name:  Cells Flashcards.png
Views: 5
Size:  34.5 KB

I also decided to watch a Crash Course video on plant cells later on in the evening, but I didn’t take any notes as I was having a lot of pain in my joints. I had to spend about three minutes trying to stretch out my leg it was so stiff! :cry2: I didn’t really want to do much after that, but I was determined to get some Latin homework done, so I went over my vocabulary flashcards while I waited for my wrap to heat up in the microwave. I’m pretty good at picking up new terminology, and I managed to complete my daily goal of learning five new words!

I was going to spend the rest of the evening resting but I found a spare five minutes to complete my 5-day study plan for a quiz I have in a week! This is a technique I came across on Tumblr that I’ve been using for years to plan for any test, large or small. The basic idea is that you space your learning over a period of five days. During each day, you prepare a new chunk of information and review material from previous days! That’s it! Here’s what I’m hoping to get done by the end of next week:

Name:  Study Schedule.png
Views: 6
Size:  47.5 KB

It's not the two to four hours of studying that was recommended to me, I know, but I can't handle much more than twenty-five minutes a day right now :sad: Fortunately, this quiz won't count towards my end grade, so I'm using it to get myself back into the studying mindset. Really, I'm going to use this entire year to experiment with different study techniques and how much time I can afford to dedicate to studying. When I did my GCSEs at the end of Year 11, I used so many different study methods and I wasn't very consist with how long I spent studying for each subject. I'm hoping that this academic year (where I don't have to worry so much that a mistake can mess up my grade) will help me gain the study skills I'll need to thrive at a higher level. I'll be focusing on old techniques that I know work for me like flashcards, past papers, and summaries, but I'll be trying out new techniques like mind maps, blurting, and mnemonics, too. If you have any techniques you think might be useful, feel free to list them below! :lovie:

Academically speaking, I've had a really good day. I managed to combat fatigue, dizziness, and joint pain to get my fifty minutes of work done! :h: I hope you're all doing well, and I’ll be back with an update soon!

Last edited by QueenAelin; 2 weeks ago
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Happy Halloween!

Hi guys! As I type this, I'm currently lounging in my bed in a food coma. There's only so much chocolate and lollipops one person can handle, and I exceed that limit at least half an hour into Hocus Pocus. Today has been pretty laid back, and I've mostly been watching Halloween movies interspersed with fifteen-minute study sessions!

I decided to make my main focus today BIOLOGY, and I spent my first class of the afternoon repetitively testing myself on quizlet. Unfortunately, I keep forgetting some of the functions of a few specific organelles (*cough* ribosomes *cough*), so I'm trying to make sure that I've got those memorised before I move onto microscopy next week. I thought I'd gotten them memorised on Tuesday, but I'll just have to keep testing myself rigorously over the next few days to make sure I get them squared away in my mind. I'll keep you all updated on my progress over my next few posts!

Once I'd finished watching the Nightmare Before Christmas, I spent my next two classes watching Youtube videos to help bolster my biology knowledge. This involved watching a video on animal cells by Crash Course and an introduction to cells by the Amoeba Sisters. I took notes on any new information, definitions, or clarifications that I came across. The notes only amounted to half a page, but hey, I've finally got a definition for chloroplasts that makes sense to me! :woo:After finishing up my notes, I decided to go back and edit my quizlet flashcards to include the role enzymes play in the chloroplasts.

After watching yet another Halloween movie (The Lost Boys), I started to work on my MATHS workbook at around four-thirty. As some of you may recall, I already have a Maths GCSE, and that's all well and good, but I can't actually remember anything I learnt :giggle: Biology and chemistry both require a few key maths skills, so I'm going to go over at least one maths topic a week to keep myself on track when it comes to my science subjects. I don't want to fall behind because I've forgotten how to do standard form. I spent today refreshing my mind on angle properties, mostly because I find the topic easy and I didn't want to jump straight back into the deep end with difficult topics that'll put me off the subject. I spent about twenty minutes going over different practice questions before I decided to call it a day. Sleepy Hollow was calling my name, and the constant stream of trick or treaters was making it difficult to concentrate.

Plus, it's only Halloween once a year! :jacko:

QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago

Wake Me Up When Its Christmas, Will You?"

Today was a complete nightmare in both the health and academic sense. I haven’t been in the best state since Wednesday morning, which I originally chalked up to post-Halloween fatigue, but it seems that my M.E has decided to rear its ugly head again :sigh: After my joints started turning stiff on Tuesday, I should have known my body would decide to dial things up to a hundred. Honestly, my joints have been popping like corks out of champagne bottles, and my head has been aching non-stop for twenty-four hours! :sadnod: I’m telling you, if the flu and a hangover had a baby, it’d feel like this!

I haven’t gotten much work done the past few days; I did around thirty minutes of work done today, which isn’t bad all things considered, but it seems like this will be the trend for the next few weeks. I’ve decided to pause my lessons until Monday, and it’s safe to say I’m going to have to push my quiz back another week or two. Truthfully, I wasn’t even going to update today, but my illness is a big part of my learning journey – whether I like it or not – so I thought I’d show you what I do on my bad days.

My first class today was FRENCH, and I focused on the differences between “c’est” and “il est”. I studied this in my last year of French at school, so it was mostly just a memory-retrieval session. I spent about ten minutes going over the notes I’d made a while ago on the topic, and I must not have been as rusty as I thought, because everything seemed to click neatly into place the first time around! :yep: I wish I’d been able to start studying a new topic today instead of going over an old one, but I think it's just in my nature to be hard on myself, and it's something I'm hoping to work on over the next year!

After I finished my lunch, I decided to lay down on my sofa and do a quick-self check using the headings and subheadings from my notes. I’ve realised that actively testing my recall instead of relying on the recognition of the information alone really improves my grades on quizzes! In the past, I’ve made the mistake of reading through my notes and telling myself I totally remembered everything but then going on to fail my tests. To combat this, one of my main goals this year is to spend less time passively going over my notes, and more time on self-checks, quizzes, and end of unit tests. Despite only being able to spend about ten minutes doing self-checks today, I really think it made an impact on my learning! :woo:I remembered a lot of information, and I hope I can spend more time on this technique in the future.

After I’d finished working, my mum drew me a bath because my left elbow would not stop aching when I moved it around, and my knees had started to swell up and turn red. She’s always telling me that Epsom salt baths and turmeric tea are the keys to soothing inflamed joints. And, really, she’s right :laugh: For an hour or so, at least! I soaked in the tub for about forty minutes and listened to the audiobook version of Let it Snow. The movie is coming out on Netflix next Friday, and I’m so excited to watch it! :dance:

Afterwards, I rested up for a few hours before I decided to spend twenty minutes continuing on some BIOLOGY work I'd started yesterday. I’ve been working on the topic “the characteristics of living organisms”. It’s a pretty basic biological concept, and I covered it extensively in Year 7 (MRS GREN, anyone?:laugh:), but I needed to make sure I remembered everything, and I wasn’t really in any state to move onto microscopy today.

Name:  Desk Light.JPG
Views: 4
Size:  147.4 KB

As I’m sure you can see, I opted to laze in my bed while I did my work this evening, because who wants to sit at a desk when their skull feels like it’s being jackhammered? :noway:I made my notes a bit more colourful than usual, and I think I’ll continue doing that in the future! I’m hoping that if I make the process of taking notes a little more creative, I’ll be more excited to start my lessons! :crossedf: Also, my aunt got me some beautiful stickers from etsy, so I might use them to spruce up my notes next week!

Once I’d finished my biology, I decided that I’d skip my homework for the evening. I’d had an exhausting day, plus I wanted to keep my mum company while she put the finishing touches on my new bookcases! :cute: She wanted to cheer me up, and we’ve had them for a while now, so she spent the afternoon putting them together and she organised all my books and decorations for me! :lovie: Here’s a few pictures of the final set up!

Name:  Bookshelf4.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  68.8 KB

I think it’s all come together beautifully, and I’m so grateful that my mum took the time to do this for me. My books are my favourite possessions, so it’s delightful to have them all on display in one place! :heart: I’m probably going to need a third bookcase by the end of next year, but that’s a problem for another day! :laugh:

Thank you all for reading! Oh, one last question! Has anyone else seen The King on Netflix? Honestly, I think it’s one of the best films I’ve seen this year! I’ve loved Henry V since I was a little girl, so I consume anything about him the second I hear of it. Plus, I might still have a lingering crush on Robert Pattinson leftover from my twilight years… :blush:

Spoiler:
Show
QueenAelin
Rep:
?

Remember, Remember The Fifth of November!

Hi guys! I hope you’ve all had a great fireworks night! :grin: For me, it’s been another pretty laid-back day academically speaking. I woke up at around ten this morning, and I still felt like I hadn’t slept in a week, despite having just been dead to the world for ten hours. I spent my first few waking moments trying to convince myself that I should just roll over and go back to sleep, but I ultimately decided that I’d do at least twenty minutes of studying today. Now, I may have made this decision because I promised myself that if I got both my French and biology work done this afternoon, I’d get the Waterstones exclusive copy of The Starless Sea that I’ve been eyeing up since July, but we’ll keep that little bribe between us and pretend I motivated myself out of my sheer love of schoolwork :wink2:

It took me until half one to get started, but I managed to over some FRENCH notes on interrogative adjectives and pronouns while I was lounging in bed eating a pain au chocolat (don’t judge me, it was subject appropriate food!:mmm:). Unfortunately, I didn’t grasp the topic quite as quickly as I’d grasped “c’est vs il est” on Saturday. I found interrogative pronouns the hardest, mostly because you need to follow so many rules when it comes to using “que” and “qui” in a question! :confused: There were only a few paragraphs of information I needed to cover, but it ended up taking me twenty minutes to feel confident that I’d gotten all the rules squared away in my mind. Honestly, by the time I was done, I felt like someone had used my brain as blender for a few hours! :erm:

After resting for an hour and spending way longer than I planned chatting to my mum about the gastroenterological disease auto-brewery syndrome (she thought I was pulling her leg because last year I tried to convince her a prolonged course of antibiotics could cause people to start ribbiting like frogs:laugh:),I decided to move onto a small French test I’d been meaning to do for a while. I’d been putting it off because I have a crippling fear of failure and almost no confidence in myself. However, I decided to put on my big girl pants today and get it done :dumbells: And, hey, it turns out I’m not as stupid as I thought! There were nine questions in total, and I got all bar one right, so I’ve been feeling pretty proud of myself! :crown: Plus, it was lucky I’d gone over interrogative adjectives this afternoon because they appeared on the test! A stoke of unknowing genius on my part, I know :proud:

Taking a break from French, I decided to move onto BIOLOGY after my nap, where I was determined once and for all to master subcellular structures. I spent fifteen minutes meticulously testing myself on Quizlet, and I made sure to pay special attention to my cards on ribosomes, chloroplasts, and mitochondria. My dedication to getting these fifteen flashcards memorised has finally paid off, and I can remember the function of each organelle! :grin: If I hadn’t been feeling so dizzy, I would have danced in delight, but I probably would have ended up flat on my face within a few seconds :blush:

Name:  Fungi2.JPG
Views: 4
Size:  122.5 KB
After catching up with His Dark Materials, I started to go over some notes I’d made a few months ago on the classifications of living organisms. I’d already covered animals, plants, fungi and bacteria, but I wanted to add a section on protoctists. Once I was done including a little information on different single-celled organisms like amoeba and plasmodium, I realised I’d forgotten quite a few structures when I read over the segment on fungi :facepalm:I decided to create a new quizlet focusing on the definitions of features like chitin, hyphae, mycelium, and sporangium. I gave myself a forty-five minute break, and then I came back and went through the cards for a few minutes to try and spot my weak areas. I think what tripped me up was trying to image the make-up of the two examples of fungi, yeast and mould, from the descriptions given in the text alone. Fortunately, I found a few labelled diagrams during my frantic “oh my god, I’m going to fail, I’m such an idiot, I’m doomed forever and ever” googling session that helped everything slot into place in my mind! :woo:

I wanted to do more work tonight, but after I fell into bed, I realised that my practice questions could wait until tomorrow :sleep: My mum brought my dinner upstairs and opened my curtains so I could watch the fireworks from out of my window. We had some amazing displays around here! I also decided to do some planning for tomorrow when there was a lull in the partying, and I remembered I’ve got a physiotherapy appointment :sigh: I asked my mum to book a taxi because there’s no way in hell I can survive two bus trips given how dizzy I feel! Hopefully, I can get some reading done while I'm waiting for my appointment because I'm probably not going to feel like working afterwards! :laugh: Wish me luck!

Spoiler:
Show
QueenAelin
Rep:
?

Who Even Knew You Could Use An Ice Pack Incorrectly?

Hi guys! Today’s been the first day I’ve managed to get anything done since my physiotherapy appointment on Tuesday! I’ve been really worn out, and more than a little achy, so when I woke up at 7:30 this morning feeling moderately okay, I was so excited to roll out of the right side of the bed and get some studying done before noon! :danceboy: Unfortunately, I made the erroneous error of lying down for a few minutes after brushing my teeth, and I ended up falling asleep for another two hours... :facepalm: Honestly, I would have slept for longer, but I had a doctor’s appointment at 10:15, and my mum never lets me be late for anything. Thankfully, the appointment wasn’t as taxing as my physio appointment, and I was out of there in ten minutes! I have to go for an x-ray and possibly an ultrasound, but it’s worth it if it can cure this damn pain in my elbow!

Once I’d gotten home from my doctor’s appointment, I rested for a few hours before I started my FRENCH lesson, which was my first and last class of the day. I decided to make my main focus a quiz I’ve got to do before I can move onto the next chapter of my textbook. However, before I started, I wanted to clarify a few grammatical points that I’ve been struggling with for a few weeks now. The main thorn in my side has been the multiple English translations of the verbs “rentrer” and “sortir” :erm: I think I might have mentioned them a week ago, where I might have also talked about how much of a pain they are! The best way to learn how to translate verbs isn’t through reading pages and pages of information in textbooks, but through completing exercises on websites like Duolingo :work: Fortunately for my sanity, this worked, and I felt like I had a solid grasp on how to use them in sentences after a few rounds! :yep: Unfortunately, the differences between “sortir” and “partir” still elude me, and I’m going to need to work on next week…

Name:  iPiccy-collageFrench.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  72.7 KB
I swear I was going to start my quiz once I’d taken a short break, but my sister decided to come around and cheer me up after the rough few days I’ve been having. Apparently, her idea of “cheering me up” means “forcing me to watch the first Fast and Furious movie”. She swore to me it was the greatest movie franchise of all time and, while I didn’t believe a single word coming out of her mouth, she’d brought chocolate and ice cream, and I wasn't turning that down for anything :laugh:

After the movie had finished, and my ridicule of frosted tips was over, I went back up to my room, procrastinated for forty minutes (I’m really into Jane the Virgin okay!), and then went on to complete my French test! It was fifteen questions, but they were short ones, so it only took me about ten minutes to finish it! I got thirteen questions right, and two wrong, and I’m a little bit disappointed in myself. I forgot the difference between "devoir" and "avoir" on one question, and I forgot to put “du” before “soir” when telling the time on another :sigh: They were rooky mistakes, and I wasn’t super happy that I made them, but I think it’s only natural to put yourself down when you’re so close to full marks. Plus, it could have been worse, because a question on “sortir” came up, and I got it right! :grin: For now, to make sure I don’t make the same mistakes in the future, I’ve scheduled in blocks of time over the next few months to practice basic grammatical techniques. Hopefully, if I’m proactive about reinforcing my learning, I’ll do better next time!

After dinner, my romance-adverse sister wanted to watch another movie, so I picked out a period drama because I enjoy watching people’s souls get sucked out of their body :laugh: About halfway through the movie, I started getting a lot of pain in my knee, so I went to get my ice pack, which I now know how to use! (According to my physiotherapist, I’ve been using them incorrectly for my entire life, and you should only leave it on your joints for a maximum of ten minutes! Who knew?) My sister tried using this as an excuse to get out of finish the film, but I wasn’t letting her escape that easily! :wink2:

By the time Persuasion was over, I wasn’t feeling too great, and I was feeling a little grouchy. I was told my chakras were out of balance by an old lady on Tuesday, so at least I have something to blame :laugh: I was going to call it a night and collapse on the sofa, but I was feeling guilty over skipping biology today, so I decided to spend fifteen minutes doing some light REVISION before bed. I spent the first five minutes going over the quizlet set I’d created on Tuesday about fungi. I’ve got the card on chitin memorised, but I’ve still got six more to go, so that’ll probably take me another few weeks! (One of my primary symptoms is cognitive dysfunction, so it takes me longer to memorise a small set of flashcards than it would for someone who’s health :thumbsdown:) Once I’d had a rest, I picked up my textbook and spent ten minutes reading through the section on microscopy in preparation for tomorrow’s BIOLOGY lesson. There’s a lot of technical knowledge and memorisation that goes into the topic, so I’m probably going to have to spend more time than I originally anticipated making sure I understand everything :no: I’d also planned to get my microscope out and try and label all the parts, but when faced with having to get out of bed and grab it, my strength and will failed me (two cheers for unrealistic expectations!)

So, a pretty relaxed day! I know my workload might seem embarrassingly small compared to a lot of you on here, but when I look over my last few posts, I can see I’m making progress, even if it’s at a snails pace, and that’s what’s really important to me :jive: If it wasn’t for this blog, and my ability to see myself overcoming obstacles and passing tests, I think I would have thrown the towel in by now. If you’re on the fence about starting a GYG blog, take my advice and start one now (and drop me a comment, so I can follow you!:lovie:)

Thanks for reading, guys!

Spoiler:
Show
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (91)
18.92%
Labour (204)
42.41%
Liberal Democrats (97)
20.17%
Green Party (33)
6.86%
Brexit Party (15)
3.12%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (0)
0%
SNP (6)
1.25%
Plaid Cymru (5)
1.04%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (0)
0%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (0)