QueenAelin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago

Productivity & Rain

Hi guys! Today was a productive day, it feels great! :cute: I had a stroke of genius on Saturday, and I decided to roll back the amount of time I spend studying from one hour to thirty minutes, and I’ve definitely noticed a significant improvement in the quality of my work over the past three days! I’ve also noticed I’m feeling less stressed and experiencing fewer heart palpitations. Things still aren’t perfect right now, but I find everything more... manageable, I guess, when I have a smaller workload. I’ve never been great at prioritising my health, so I’m really glad that I noticed the negative impact studying was having on me and worked out a solution! Plus, I’m not doing any exams, so there’s no need to push myself!

I woke up early this morning, so I sat under my heated blanket and started reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. After I’d finished, I opened my window and listened to the autumn rain for a little while. Honestly, I don’t think there’s a prettier sound in the world than droplets of rain hitting the pavement. By the time it’d stopped, and I had a cup of Earl Grey in my hands, I felt motivated to start my day :tea:Today was focused on BIOLOGY, and I was supposed to be doing microscopy, but it involved way more maths than I was prepared to do today, so I skipped straight onto the levels of organisation :wink2: For the first half of the class, I worked on creating notes for my new topic, which only took ten minutes! I wrote a few sentences for cells, tissues, organs, and organ systems, and then produced a few bullet points for key definitions. Honestly, human anatomy is my favourite subject right now, and I had to hold myself back from diving deeper into the specifics of everything, or else I’d never get any chemistry or maths done! :giggle:

Name:  IPAD.JPG
Views: 16
Size:  142.0 KB
Shortly after I’d finished resting, I logged into BBC Bitesize and completed a set of practice questions, just to check my knowledge. I thought I'd covered everything thoroughly, but I ended up getting one question wrong. It seemed I'd underestimated the importance of plant structures because there were four questions about them on the quiz!:facepalm: I managed to guess the answers for the first three, but I didn’t know what shoots and roots were examples of (spoiler alert: organ systems ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). This is why you don’t skim read your textbook to get to the good stuff!

I had to take a pretty long break because I was experiencing a lot of leg pain, but once it had eased, I pulled quizlet up on my IPad and got to work creating a new set of flashcards from the comfort of my bed. I made sure to add four cards on the levels of organisation in plants, just to make sure I don’t make the same mistake in the future! But, hey, you’re more likely to get a question right on a test if you got it wrong at some point beforehand! :lol: I was planning on testing myself on my new quizlet cards, but I was starting to feel lightheaded and the ache was back in my leg, so I decided to put everything away for the day :sleep:

Afterwards, I decided I deserved a nap, but it didn’t go quite as I’d planned. I was shocked, shocked, that I slept for two and a half hours instead of ninety minutes :laugh: My mind obviously needed the time out though, so I opted to take it easy for the remainder of the day. (Sorry, French, I’ll get to you tomorrow!:sadnod:)

My idea of "taking it easy" is watching period dramas, so I decided to watch two episodes of Emma with my mum. I felt a little bit better after I'd swooned over Mr Knightly for ninety minutes, so I opted to be productive for a little bit and pulled up my Tinycards app and went over some flashcards for a few minutes. As this was my first revision session after neglecting LATIN for so long, I focused on catching up on my key vocabulary. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten a few words, but it all came back to me pretty quickly, and I should have them memorised in a few weeks! I also flicked through my notebook quickly after another quick episode of Emma to remind myself how you’re supposed to structure sentences. You wouldn’t think it’d be complicated to remember “Subject-Object-Verb”, but I’m so used to the SVO format, it’s just automatic at this point! :erm: It’s frustrating, but the only thing I can do is keep persevering until SOV is my default format, too! Afterwards, my head decided it would be a great time to start acting up, so I decided to have another nap... :blush:

Name:  IPAD2.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  100.7 KB
This evening, my family and I have been planning our Christmas itinerary for this year! :claus: We’re kicking things off next Friday with a trip to the Bury St. Edmund’s Christmas Market. I’ve heard it’s stunning, and I’ve never been to one before, so I’m ridiculously excited! :jive:I’m hoping I can find some unique Christmas presents for my aunts and uncles, and I’ll also be on the lookout for Christmas decorations, as a few of mine were destroyed last year by the last two people you’d think would work together: my cat and dog. Just my luck, huh? :laugh:

Now, if you’ll excuse me, there’s a cosy bed, a cup of tea, and an audiobook calling my name. Thanks for reading, guys!

My tag team! :lovie:
Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by QueenAelin; 2 weeks ago
Tolgarda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, I'd like to follow your GYG.
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Tolgarda)
Hey, I'd like to follow your GYG.
Of course! I’ll add you into my next post
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
You Mean I Have to Come Up With a New Title Every Week?

Hi guys! Unfortunately, I haven’t had the best day today, and I’m currently curled up in my bed with ginger tea trying to keep my pain au chocolats down… :sick: My CFS has decided to make all my symptoms twice as awful as usual this week, and I’ve experienced everything from my usual headaches and fatigue to unbearable nausea and vertigo. I could go on and list a dozen other symptoms, but I feel like you all get the point. I’ve spent most of today reclining horizontally in bed, but in between my cries for mercy, I managed to get a few five-minute study sessions done and dusted! :grin:

At around one o’clock this afternoon, I decided to open up my quizlet app and complete a quick flashcard set on fungi! I spent most of my time mentally bemoaning how tired I’ve been this week, because I’m a baby when it comes to being even mildly inconvenienced, so I didn’t make as much progress as I would have liked :blushing: In saying that, however, I think I’m getting close to understanding the basics of saprotrophic nutrition! :yep: I won’t say I have it 100% memorised, and it’s probably going to take another week or two to do so, but I’m on my way, and getting this far has definitely given me a confidence boost! :jive: Over the next fortnight (or maybe even month), the area I’m going to have to spend the most time revising is definitely reproduction in fungi. I know it works via mushrooms and spores and wind direction, but I’m lost when it comes to explaining it without looking at my notes. I’m just going to have to keep at it when my vertigo passes until I can recite the process in my sleep!

After a two hour nap and an episode of Looking for Alaska (God, I’d forgotten how much that book hurt me!:cry2:), I decided to go over a few FRENCH flashcards for five minutes. It was a pretty uneventful session, but I’m getting close to remembering all the conjugations for danser, chanter, and dessiner!

After I'd rested for a while, I was feeling optimistic, fresh-faced, and naïve, so I thought I’d try sitting and working on something a little more difficult… This was a big mistake and I’m an arrogant, foolish girl :bawling: I barely got a quarter of the way through my LATIN lesson before I was ready to give up. Honestly, I was in no shape to be learning anything new today, and I was too fatigued and dizzy to be sitting up for longer than five minutes, really. I’m surprised I didn’t fall asleep while I was writing! :sleep:I was out of it before I’d even begun, and I thought it was still September for some reason:

Name:  Latin November.JPG
Views: 17
Size:  112.1 KB

I wasn’t even considering studying Latin in September, for God sake! :facepalm:When my dog decided to interrupt my studying by being adorable, I decided to take it as a sign from the universe that I should put my pen down and crash out on my bed instead. Honestly, I was feeling really guilty about not getting anything substantial down this afternoon, until I remembered that it’s ridiculous to feel like you have to be productive all the time. If you’re sick, you should be allowed to have a free pass to wallow in your own self-pity and misery all day! Okay, maybe you don’t need to be as dramatic as I am, but if your body is telling you that it needs rest, listen to it and bloody well rest!

Name:  Puppers.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  135.7 KB

Given that I haven’t been able to share much in the way of work with you today, I thought I’d show you all the nonfiction reading list I created on Sunday for the new year! I spend most of my waking hours passing the time by reading or listening to audiobooks, so I thought, as a New Year’s resolution, I’d commit to reading or listening to two nonfiction books a month :heart: Hopefully, they’ll help with my studies and will maybe even come in useful if the time ever comes to apply to access courses or universities. I’m not sure what order I’ll read them in, but I’m definitely planning on starting with The Body: A Guide for Occupants by Bill Bryson!

Name:  2020.png
Views: 14
Size:  64.6 KB

So, looking back to present, I’m taking a leaf out of my own book, and I’m going to spend tomorrow doing absolutely nothing productive whatsoever in the hopes that this bloody vertigo will pass and I can actually, you know, sit up :laugh: I’m probably just going to spend the day watching Harry Potter films in the hopes of assuaging my angst :wink2: I hope you’re all having a good week so far, and thanks for reading!

My tag team! :lovie:
Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by QueenAelin; 2 weeks ago
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ya Girl's Got Glandular Fever!

Hey guys! Guess who’s got glandular fever? From the title, you probably guessed me! I am not feeling great, obviously, and I’m pretty much a ball of stress and inflamed lymph nodes right now. I’ve spent the past week tucked up in bed with some turmeric tea and a hot water bottle that looks like an off-brand Hedwig from Harry Potter. (Seriously, it may be cosy af, but its beady little eyes freak me out!:noway:) I don’t want to go too into how I’m feeling, or else all my posts are going to feel pretty repetitive, so I’ll just tell you this: my forehead is on fire, and I slept for 14 hours last night. And, with that out of the way, onto my new update! :cute:

Today, I started things nice and late, and I didn’t wake up until 11:30 am. I groggily rolled out of bed and debated whether or not I should sleep on the floor for an extra hour, but I managed to convince myself that breakfast was a more enticing prospect :yum: I spent the first few hours of my day eating some oranges, drinking some chocolate milk, and catching up on some reading I was supposed to finish on Monday (oops?:laugh:). I may have also slipped an extra forty-five minutes of sleep in there too, but who’s counting? :sleep:Once I woke up, I really wasn’t feeling too great, so I decided to retreat solemnly back upstairs with my dog in tow to get everything done from the comfort of my bed for the rest of the day.

After everything had settled down a little bit, I propped my head upon my pillows and decided I’d try and get some FRENCH work done. I started a new topic yesterday (yay!), but I hit a roadblock pretty early on into my lesson today (not so yay!). I’m studying demonstrative articles, which isn’t a very complicated topic, but unfortunately, my textbook has also decided to introduce me to the verb “faire”. “Faire” is supposed to mean “to do” or “to make”, but nothing is simple in French, and they’ve decided to use it in a lot of idiomatic expressions, so it can pretty much show up anywhere and mean nearly anything :erm: Right now, I understand it in theory, but I’m just not well enough to put it into practice. I could only spend about five minutes learning today anyway, so I was never going to get a lot of work done. I’m probably going to have to spend the next week or so trying to wrap my head around the concept in bitesize pieces until it sticks! :yep:

Straight after I finished resting, I decided to do some singing… in French :blushing: When I was in Year 8, our French teacher at the time used to sing us a line of a song and then make us sing it back to her. It sounds a bit silly, but it’s a really good (and low energy) way of bettering your pronunciation. I don’t think I’d be able to pronounce “trés” as well as I do now if I hadn’t been singing it so often over the past few months! :grin: I did this for a few minutes before my throat started to protest, so I made the executive decision to just sit back and listen to a few more songs while I rested :lazy:

Taking a break from French, I moved onto CHEMISTRY after a hefty break filled with napping, croissants, and Killing Eve (I am SO envious of Jodie Comer’s French accent!). The first thing I wanted to do was focus on watching a Crash Course video on the Periodic Table. But... Do you think I can remember anything I watched? You bet I can’t! :laugh: Fortunately, to mitigate my memory loss, I did create a few flashcards on Quizlet to help me start trying to recall everything when I’m feeling a little less congested and feverish. Once I was done, I didn’t feel like I could do anything else, but I really wanted to get some reading done, so I asked my mum if she’d read a few passages from my Chemistry for Dummies out loud to me. She’s an angel, so she put down everything she was doing to come and sit with me for awhile :cute: When she was done, she asked me a few questions about what she’d just read, and I managed to answer them with a few promptings from her!

So, what else have I done over the last seven days? Well, I did go to the Bury St. Edmunds Christmas Market on Friday, and I had an AMAZING time! :snow: We went a little late in the day, so trying to find disabled parking was a nightmare, but once we found a spot everything else was a breeze! There were SO MANY PEOPLE, and I was feeling a little claustrophobic, but I’m so glad I went, and I really, really want to go again next year! We spent a decent amount of time looking around the stalls before I had to call it quits, and I picked up a few cute things from a few vendors! Really, I haven’t parted with my new, snug socks since I put them on Friday night! (I also feel like my sister might nick them if I take them off…:ninja2:) Oh, and I almost forgot the highlight of the entire evening: the Santa Claus jazz band! :claus: Honestly, you haven’t lived until you’ve seen a man dressed as Santa playing smooth jazz on a saxophone, guys! :laugh:

Name:  Christmas Market.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  79.6 KB

Thanks for reading everyone! Hopefully, once I go back to my regularly scheduled level of fatigue, I’ll be able to update more than once a week, but until then, I’ll see you next Wednesday!

My tag team! :emog:
Spoiler:
Show

You
Last edited by QueenAelin; 1 week ago
GlenCacao
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hiya! I'm a tad late, but can I be added to the tag list? Your GYG seems like a really
interesting/refreshing read & I'm impressed at your organisation & discipline!

In terms of Latin, I managed to get 2 A*s @ GCSE for it using the same book & the
Duolingo app and I loved it - there were all sorts of passage to translate ('Caecilius est
in horto' is a classic) & it should also help with your French & improve your understanding
of English. I recommend downloading the offline course on Memrise as well as you can go
on it whenever to test your vocab, plus there's an official CLC vocab list.

I also see that we share I mutual love for Hozier! I went to his concert this October and am
listening to Foreigner's God as we speak (type?) lol.
All the best with your studies
Last edited by GlenCacao; 3 days ago
QueenAelin
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 hours ago
(Original post by GlenCacao)
Hiya! I'm a tad late, but can I be added to the tag list? Your GYG seems like a really
interesting/refreshing read & I'm impressed at your organisation & discipline!

In terms of Latin, I managed to get 2 A*s @ GCSE for it using the same book & the
Duolingo app and I loved it - there were all sorts of passage to translate ('Caecilius est
in horto' is a classic) & it should also help with your French & improve your understanding
of English. I recommend downloading the offline course on Memrise as well as you can go
on it whenever to test your vocab, plus there's an official CLC vocab list.

I also see that we share I mutual love for Hozier! I went to his concert this October and am
listening to Foreigner's God as we speak (type?) lol.
All the best with your studies
Yes, of course, I’d be happy to add you! Thank you for the compliment, and I’m glad my ruse to make everyone believe I’m an efficient and disciplined student is working! :laugh:

Thank you for the Latin advice, I’ll take it to heart! I’ve never heard of memrise before, and it looks really useful! I’ve downloaded it, and I’ll definitely be using it for both Latin & French.

And Hozier! I can’t believe you got to see him live! The jealousy is radiating off me in droves! Was it as majestic as I’d imagine it to be? :crossedf:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you work while at uni?

Yes I work at university (44)
33.08%
No I don't (62)
46.62%
I work during the holidays (27)
20.3%

Watched Threads