The Student Room Group

If I move to Norway to live with my boyfriend, can my parents stop me?

I've decided to move out since I'm now 17 and I have a self employed job that can pay for everyday necessities. My boyfriend, who is 19, also has a job and an apartment in Norway. I've had a talk with my parents about it and they disagreed because of my family's pride and how my aunts will look down on us. All my parents are worried about is their pride since my older sister also moved out at 17 but she and her boyfriend split up. My sister has had many unsuccessful relationships which has nothing to do with me.
Would you be allowed to live there post Brexit?

I understand the concerns of your family as many relationships at your age do not last.
Original post by barnetlad
Would you be allowed to live there post Brexit?

I understand the concerns of your family as many relationships at your age do not last.

Why on earth would she not be able to?
It was allowed well before the UK joined the EU... just a few different rules.
you're 17, how do you know someone in Norway? have you met before?
Legally speaking they could, you can't leave home without parental consent until 18, practically speaking no court is likely to agree to give a court order to bring you back at 17.
Reply 5
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Legally speaking they could, you can't leave home without parental consent until 18, practically speaking no court is likely to agree to give a court order to bring you back at 17.

You don't need consent at 16 or 17.
I definitely wouldn't rush into it. 17 is young, lot saying that you're silly but it's too early to rush into anything
Original post by Shaolin~Chan
I've decided to move out since I'm now 17 and I have a self employed job that can pay for everyday necessities. My boyfriend, who is 19, also has a job and an apartment in Norway. I've had a talk with my parents about it and they disagreed because of my family's pride and how my aunts will look down on us. All my parents are worried about is their pride since my older sister also moved out at 17 but she and her boyfriend split up. My sister has had many unsuccessful relationships which has nothing to do with me.

I don't believe you need permission from them, but you are incredibly young. How do you know this man - have you met him in person several times? There's a lot more to think about regarding moving to another country, so make sure you've covered all bases.
Reply 8
Seen your other posts on this and your primary motivation seems to be escaping your current home... I can see why, but moving to another country at such a young age to be with someone you most likely don't know particularly well, especially when being with them doesn't seem to be the main reason for doing it (I assume this from your other posts), may not be the best idea.
You're 17 and he's 19. That's way too young. Take it slow and easy. Get your life going before moving to another country to move in with someone. If you were in your 20s my answer would be very different.
Original post by Bio 7
You don't need consent at 16 or 17.

I think I might be thinking of owning a house/renting a flat, but I suppose that's not the only way of leaving home
No, but brexit will. Wait, Norway is not even in the EU. So go on!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
www.gov.uk/guidance/living-in-norway

if you're 'moving' you need a visa.
Is yours one of those ridiculous cases of ‘we chat on the internet, so he’s my boyfriend’ bollo*ks ‘relationships’?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending