Accidentally drenched a pedestrian Watch

J0n3zviper
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So we’ve had some really heavy rain recently, I was driving in the early hours of the morning and accidentally drenched a pedestrian. It was really unavoidable despite not being done deliberately. What will the results be if reported? I couldn’t even get out to say sorry as its a pretty busy road with nowhere to pull in.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by J0n3zviper)
So we’ve had some really heavy rain recently, I was driving in the early hours of the morning and accidentally drenched a pedestrian. It was really unavoidable despite not being done deliberately. What will the results be if reported? I couldn’t even get out to say sorry as its a pretty busy road with nowhere to pull in.
Highly unlikely. They will just curse and thats it. You are probably untraceable and if asked you say it was an accident.

There was someone charged with such an offence a few years ago, but think it was thrown out. Would take me some time to find it. I wouldn't worry just dont do it deliberately.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if they managed to get your registration they could make a claim for the damage, stress & whatnot. as it was in the middle of the night it is likely they did not record your details.
maddiefettis
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
don't worry my mum got drenched by the bus and she just laughed
davidthomasjnr
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If they got your licence plate, they could potentially claim off your insurance for damage to their clothes, or report you to the police for dangerous driving (unlikely to be of any consequence though). Fortunately for you, there was no police officer, otherwise you could have got an on the spot fine of £100, or potentially more if they thought you were driving without due care and attention.
xDron3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Technically, they could do a lot.

Realistically, they called you a **** and moved on.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So we’ve had some really heavy rain recently, I was driving in the early hours of the morning and accidentally drenched a pedestrian. It was really unavoidable despite not being done deliberately.
How was it 'unavoidable'?
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
How was it 'unavoidable'?
They were unavoidably a bad driver?
Peter.JohnsonJR
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you live in the UK nothing will happen even if your license plate was caught on camera. UK Police will not bother investigating it nevermind arrest/prosecute you. If the guy phoned the Police (which he probably didn't) the 101 operator would have just jotted down what happened and took the guys name and address (they love gathering peoples data) and that's it.... If you think you might not be able to avoid doing it again in heavy rain perhaps buy a sticker for the back of your car saying 'sorry my bad'
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It was really unavoidable despite not being done deliberately.
Stop and think. What you are saying is that if a pedestrian had been standing in the road at the same spot as the puddle you would have necessarily mown them down and carried on driving. Is that really true? Are you that unsafe to be out on the road?

It is not that difficult: you coordinate speed and road position to avoid puddles, and especially so when passing pedestrians. If you do manage to splash one you stop as soon as possible, apologise profusely, offer to pay their cleaning bill and give them a lift home.
Last edited by Good bloke; 1 month ago
julietlima3
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You shouldn't drive through puddles that deep at speed, even if there were no pedestrians
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
Stop and think. What you are saying is that if a pedestrian had been standing in the road at the same spot as the puddle you would have necessarily mown them down and carried on driving. Is that really true? Are you that unsafe to be out on the road?

It is not that difficult: you coordinate speed and road position to avoid puddles, and especially so when passing pedestrians. If you do manage to splash one you stop as soon as possible, apologise profusely, offer to pay their cleaning bill and give them a lift home.
Pedestrians tend to be taller than two inches..
FalconHeavy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's water ffs
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Pedestrians tend to be taller than two inches..
And some potholes are quite deep. Aquaplaning or smashing into a pothole is potentially quite dangerous
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by FalconHeavy)
It's water ffs
Would you drink it?
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
And some potholes are quite deep. Aquaplaning or smashing into a pothole is potentially quite dangerous
Life ehy?
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by FalconHeavy)
It's water ffs
Yeah but its 2019 where everyone is a snowflake. In The late 90s-early 2000s no one would have cared. Even the person who got soaked would have sworn abit then gone home to laugh about it later. Everyone wants to point the finger these days, I blame social media for most of it.
J0n3zviper
Rep:
?
(Original post by julietlima3)
You shouldn't drive through puddles that deep at speed, even if there were no pedestrians
Well done, it was dark and I didn’t have time to dip a stick in the puddle to determine how deep it was. It was an accident these things happen. If someone did it on purpose I’d say yeah they should be punished but I did not and at the end of the day its water not a shower of bullets.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The chances of them doing anything are close to 0. This is just something that happens.
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I would’ve done it intentionally so i think you’ll be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (143)
18.94%
Labour (322)
42.65%
Liberal Democrats (153)
20.26%
Green Party (41)
5.43%
Brexit Party (21)
2.78%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (2)
0.26%
SNP (9)
1.19%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.79%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.13%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.13%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)