The Student Room Group

Marine biology careers and qualifications?

So I'm 16 and I started college about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I originally took biology A level but I switched it for geography A level. (I also take environmental science and English lit). I've always been interested in animals and the environment and I would love to have a career in which I'm able to travel and participate in field research. I'm enjoying geography and environmental science though it seems if I ever wanted a career in marine biology I would need a biology A level and it's too late to switch back (not that I currently want to). I was just wondering if there was any way I'd be able to ever take a career path in that direction with geography and environmental science alone or would I have to take biology again when I'm 18 for example? If you have any other similar career paths that I might like please let me know! (:
Hi

It's still definitely possible to pursue a career in marine biology without an A-level in biology. To work as a marine biologist, you need a relevant degree and you're right in thinking that yes, to get onto biology degree courses you usually need that A-level, but these days there are other ways into those types of university courses.

So if, for example, you wanted to do marine biology at university, you'd have an option of doing what's called a foundation year, which is an extra year tagged onto the start of your degree to fill any required knowledge gaps. The benefit of doing a foundation year is that it gives you a year to get settled into university life before the full degree starts, and it's still covered by student finance.

Hope this helps

Thanks - Mark
Reply 2
Original post by Zephelia
So I'm 16 and I started college about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I originally took biology A level but I switched it for geography A level. (I also take environmental science and English lit). I've always been interested in animals and the environment and I would love to have a career in which I'm able to travel and participate in field research. I'm enjoying geography and environmental science though it seems if I ever wanted a career in marine biology I would need a biology A level and it's too late to switch back (not that I currently want to). I was just wondering if there was any way I'd be able to ever take a career path in that direction with geography and environmental science alone or would I have to take biology again when I'm 18 for example? If you have any other similar career paths that I might like please let me know! (:

Have a look at oceanography degrees - Southampton has a big department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending