The Student Room Group

ASDA group interviews

Hi, I have a group interview on wednesday after applying last week (really quick and after phoning them to see how the application went lol - im not a patient person when it comes to jobs lol) and they said I passed the application process and was to be put through the group interview stages.

What should I expect during the group interview? I really need this job as rapidly running out of money and there are virtually no jobs available, what can I expect? Im getting really nervous, I'm not usually a nervous person lol.
Found this post using the search function:

THE JOB INTERVIEW
-At ASDA it is in the form of a group selection, with between 6-12 people also being interviewed. One employee will run the session, and there will be observers in the background assessing.

-If run properly, there will be three group tasks. When I ran them, it used to be:

a) speak to your partner, find out as much about them as possible and report back to the group.
Here, we are looking for you to communicate well with your partner. Be confident, encourage them. When you report back, we like you to be enthusiastic. Nothing ground breaking. Generally, just being a nice person who is confident without being completely dominating in these interviews is more than enough.

b) In a group of four, design a Christmas uniform.
This is just to see how well you work in a group. Make sure you contribute equally to discussions and don't get left out by louder people. If you notice someone is quiet and you have said your piece, try and bring them into the discussions. "what do you think dave?". No one cares how good the final product is: just play a part and work as a team. Again, be a nice person!

c) In groups of five, using a pack of cards, build a house, and then report back to the group on why they should buy your house.
The person running the session may give you an object halfway through to put into the house, to throw you. Basically, again, teamwork. Don't be too dominating, but try to take a lead, involve everyone, and don't be shy. Just showing basic things like taking an interest in others views will get you everywhere. When reporting back, do so with a smile, and a bit of personality.

For all the tasks, you will be assessed by people on a basis of 1 to 4, with 4 being good. Generally, a mixture of 2/3s will get you employed.

Don't worry about these, and don't be thinking "oooh I haven't shown this!" Just be yourself, be a nice person who can work in a team, and be confident. That's all you need to do! And be polite.

Contrary to popular opinion, supermarkets and shops do turn people down. We recently turned a lot of people down for being rude. One group would be reporting back on a task, and the others would be sitting their chatting amongst themselves. We rejected them, because what if we're in a team meeting and they're ignoring what is going on? The message won't get across.

With shop interviews, for general assistant work, they're not looking for technical knowledge, or anything advanced. Just that you're a nice person, that you can work in a team, and that you're willing to work hard and learn. That's all.

And I am sure that applies to most shops, not just ASDA. That was my own experience, hope it helps.
Reply 3
Thankyou for your replies they are really appreciated!
No worries :smile:
Reply 5
Hi i have asda group interview, the lady on the phone said something like magic session/screening and i wanted to know if anyone has done this sort of thing before, i heard you have to perform magic tricks in front of your group or something, anyway i wanted to know what else goes on there and what else you have to do that day, if anyone knows?

Thanks
Reply 7
oh thanks that made me feel a little less nervous, the interview session doesnt seem that nerve racking
Reply 8
I work in Asda.

You'll be fine! Just dont be quiet. If theres a spot as "team leader" for your group or a speaking role or whatever, go for it.
Hey! I have one of these Asda Magic things today in the evening.
Was just wondering what the pay is like at Asda (i'm 18 years old)
:smile:
I'm keeping my other job as well anyway at the same time, just wondering.
Reply 10
pay is £5.83
Reply 11
always_addicted
Hey! I have one of these Asda Magic things today in the evening.
Was just wondering what the pay is like at Asda (i'm 18 years old)
:smile:
I'm keeping my other job as well anyway at the same time, just wondering.

£5.90 an hour
thats pretty good. im on 5.57 at the moment and happy with that! :smile:
Reply 13
Smile, be confident, make eye contact, wear smart clothes, and you will be fine.
It's just gone up from £5.88 to £6.03
Reply 15
HEY

had one afew weeks ago....

firstly they make u sit in this reall posh confernece room around a dining table.
Theres the person conducting the interview giving out instructions and then theres a panel of 'judges' monoitoring ur every move.

The first task they gave us was to arrange ourselves in numerical order using the number cards they gave us, which we wernet allowed to look at own.

Afterwards, we had to get with a partner and introduce them to the rest. HERE BE CONFIDENT, MAKE EYE CONTACT, AND EXPRESS THEM ENTHUSIASTICALLY.
DO NOT INTERUPT OTHERS, CUS THIS WOMAN DID IT TO ME AND SHE WAS DISMISSED.

Thirdly, with the same partner we had to build a construiction using marsh mellows and spaghetti. IT WAS SOOO FUN!! and after we had to introduce wot we had made and suggest imporovements.

Tips: WEAR SMART UNIFORM, ther assessors are making notes on your dress, and boyt do thbey look at everything, thry even noticed i wasnt even wearing socks!! but i wore a suit which made up for it.

They grade u A being higestg and D being lowest.

For the individual interview, its just asking u quesitons about how u work in a team and wot expreiences u have in work.

Latest

Trending

Trending