MattCompo
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all,
I'm currently on a placement year between 3rd and 4th year of an engineering degree, I'm more interested in scientific research at the moment, and as I enjoyed my dissertation I'd like to consider a PhD. The only thing putting me off is the salary, 17k ish for 3-4 years isn't great, even if it is untaxed. Industry grad schemes offer close 30k with pay rises after 1-2 years, is there any way to do a PhD and get close to this kind of salary? I'll be over 30 by the time I'd finish a PhD and don't want to still be earning a low salary by this age. Thanks
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MattCompo)
I'm currently on a placement year between 3rd and 4th year of an engineering degree, I'm more interested in scientific research at the moment, and as I enjoyed my dissertation I'd like to consider a PhD. The only thing putting me off is the salary, 17k ish for 3-4 years isn't great, even if it is untaxed. Industry grad schemes offer close 30k with pay rises after 1-2 years, is there any way to do a PhD and get close to this kind of salary? I'll be over 30 by the time I'd finish a PhD and don't want to still be earning a low salary by this age.
You don't do a PhD / DPhil for the money whilst studying. £17k sounds like a lot to me, when you're still living as a student. If you're focussed on money, I wouldn't do a doctorate.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MattCompo)
Hi all,
I'm currently on a placement year between 3rd and 4th year of an engineering degree, I'm more interested in scientific research at the moment, and as I enjoyed my dissertation I'd like to consider a PhD. The only thing putting me off is the salary, 17k ish for 3-4 years isn't great, even if it is untaxed. Industry grad schemes offer close 30k with pay rises after 1-2 years, is there any way to do a PhD and get close to this kind of salary? I'll be over 30 by the time I'd finish a PhD and don't want to still be earning a low salary by this age. Thanks
It's not a salary, it's a stipend. You aren't contributing to a business and helping them to grow, make a profit etc. You are possibly adding something possibly useful to the sum of human knowledge. For that, if you are lucky, someone will fund you the cost of living to a basic level. As it is untaxed and you still get all the student discounts widely available, it's a very fair deal.

If you want to contribute to society at a commercial rate and earn a commercial income, you have to do a commercial job.
WarwickMaths281
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 18 hours ago
I'd say that £17k is more than enough for a student, especially because the postgrads I know seem to do zip compared to those who are actually working,
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (4)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (1)
16.67%
Yes but I might change my mind (1)
16.67%

Watched Threads