Mental Health Forum Rules Watch
- Political Ambassador
As some of you may know, Thursday October 10 is World Mental Health day. Because of this, we're going to be doing lots of threads in the Mental Health forums. We don't want any of our threads or the subsequent replies to be potentially triggering to people who read, so in this thread we're going to set some rules. Whenever you make a thread, have a look at the rules so you don't accidentally break any.
We all want TSR and especially the Mental Health forums to be a safe place for users to get support and constructive, helpful advice.
We do not want anyone to get triggered or feel worse as a result of posts on the site, whether that would be a response to your post, or a separate post made by another user.
It is for this reason that we have rules relating to self harm and suicide discussion.
SELF HARM/SUICIDE RULES:
- Please don't talk about contemplating suicide or self harming
- Please don't discuss methods in your posts
- Please don't use code words to circumvent these rules
- As above, even in spoiler tags
- Please refrain from talking about recent suicides (less than 6 months)
- Talking about historic suicides (older than 6 months)
- Skin care after self harm
- Suicide prevention
- Self harm prevention
- Techniques to lose suicidal/self harming thoughts
ALL TALK ABOUT SUICIDE AND SELF HARM IN THE ALLOWED SECTION MUST BE SPOILERED WITH A CLEAR TRIGGER WARNING
The reasons for this policy are:
- We are not professionally trained to deal with serious, potentially dangerous issues like this. We feel that directing people to appropriate help is safer than posting on TSR about it.
- Often messages about these types of feelings end up getting replies which are at best well-intentioned but unhelpful and at worst downright malicious. We would never want someone to be made to feel worse for posting about their feelings.
- There is a real risk of both triggering other users and increasing dangerous behaviour by allowing discussion of self-harm methods etc.
- We do not want TSR to be seen to be a site which encourages or promotes self-harm.
Unfortunately we are not able to monitor all posts in the site all the time, and therefore we rely on the report function to help us become aware of problematic posts. Intolerance or discrimination of any kind is not allowed and is not welcome on these threads - if you see a post containing these or anything else stated above, please use the report function to bring it to our attention and refrain from replying to these posts.
If you have any queries about moderation, please make a thread in Ask the Community Team, and someone will reply to you as soon as possible.
With regards to other triggering subjects, spoiler tag them as follows:
TW: TRIGGERING CONTENT
When posting, please adhere to these rules to make these posts a better place for the community and for people to get the support and advice they need.
Mental Health forum
Peer Support Volunteer
Mental Health Support Society