The Student Room Group

When do you pay for a eye test

So I've just applied for my hc1 cetificate as I'm at uni . But have an eye test later this week so I'm going to pay this time round for it . I've never been alone or had to pay before and was just wondering when I have to pay for it - is it before the eye test or after its been done ?
Reply 1
I use Boots opticians and pay at the end, so they can then add in any other costs (in my case, prescription glasses :cool:). As a 'loyal customer' I haven't paid for any testing recently as they've been sending me vouchers for free eye test including an eye health check; this means as well as looking at my eyesight (with the letters board and red/green perception) they do retinal photography and the peripheral vision test, where you stick your face in a plastic bowl and count dots that light up. It's worth you asking beforehand what the test covers and whether there are any additional checks or charges.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
I use Boots opticians and pay at the end, so they can then add in any other costs (in my case, prescription glasses :cool:). As a 'loyal customer' I haven't paid for any testing recently as they've been sending me vouchers for free eye test including an eye health check; this means as well as looking at my eyesight (with the letters board and red/green perception) they do retinal photography and the peripheral vision test, where you stick your face in a plastic bowl and count dots that light up. It's worth you asking beforehand what the test covers and whether there are any additional checks or charges.

Does this actually lead to any meaningful results? I did it and I couldn't distinguish easily because the dots were so small and not bright enough. Sometimes I also imagined myself seeing dots and towards the end of the test, I could see clearly the position of all the small dots which made it even more difficult to tell when there was a light.

They should also have checked for your pressure by blowing a puff of air into your eye.

@Emma1999_, please note, if you start seeing flashing lights, go to A&E straight away. It might be a retinal tear or detachment and it is considered a medical emergency.
Reply 3
Original post by 0le
Does this actually lead to any meaningful results? I did it and I couldn't distinguish easily because the dots were so small and not bright enough. Sometimes I also imagined myself seeing dots and towards the end of the test, I could see clearly the position of all the small dots which made it even more difficult to tell when there was a light.

They should also have checked for your pressure by blowing a puff of air into your eye.

@Emma1999_, please note, if you start seeing flashing lights, go to A&E straight away. It might be a retinal tear or detachment and it is considered a medical emergency.

I get everything done (yes, inc pressure test), it just happens that the 2 checks I mentioned are meaningful for me. I've had a couple of issues, including a burst blood vessel in one eye where I lost my peripheral vision for a few days. It's like the MOT; I know it's only as good as the day it's done, but ensures there aren't any lingering effects that I haven't noticed or anything new to cause concern.
Cost me 20 quid for a test at Specsavers and pay after the test
At my opticians you pay after because you have to pick glasses and things before paying and the prices varies if you don’t have glasses it should still be after
Reply 6
Thank you all so much , I know it seems like a stupid question I just worry about this adulting stuff haha . Thanks again all of you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending