Is UKIP a racist party? Watch

Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HiViz9)
I was sitting at a Taverna today, on Greek island, drinking a cold Beer, when some Brits chatted away arguing about Brexit... One said he voted for UKIP and was immediately lambasted with accusations, he supports a racist party. Do you think UKIP is racist?
If a party says things that are racist, behaves and acts in a racist way, and promotes racism, then yes, I'd say that qualifies for being racist.....
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In the past. When Farage was at the helm it had some dodgy members (as all parties do) but was not a racist party.
Since Farage left and Batten and Braine took over, it has lurched to the right. In fairness to them however they did force out Bolton when it was revealed his GF was a racist.
HiViz9
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
In the past. When Farage was at the helm it had some dodgy members (as all parties do) but was not a racist party.
Since Farage left and Batten and Braine took over, it has lurched to the right. In fairness to them however they did force out Bolton when it was revealed his GF was a racist.
Still no actual quotes of racism? You will not find any.
HiViz9
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zoqua)
If a party says things that are racist, behaves and acts in a racist way, and promotes racism, then yes, I'd say that qualifies for being racist.....
Ok then, it should be very easy for you to cite the actual racist comments or behaviour and I dont mean from years back.
Which party do you support?
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Still no actual quotes of racism? You will not find any.
You must have missed this post:

(Original post by Stiff Little Fingers)
Well, they are certainly a haven for racists so in effect yes. But to just label them racists would be unfair, they're equal opportunities bigots and are also homophobic and misogynistic.

Basically they're a party of troglodytes in every direction, and run counter to every value Britain supposedly holds
8 examples of racism from UKIP politicians/candidates, and 4 bonus examples of homophobia and misogyny
HiViz9
Rep:
?
You must have missed this post:

8 examples of racism from UKIP politicians/candidates, and 4 bonus examples of homophobia and misogyny
Try arguing your point into context.
HiViz9
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
it didn't used to be when farage was promoting euroscepticism in UKIP but it seems to be headed in a new direction now that farage quit
This is bizarre... all these comments and not one tad of evidence. I find this surreal.
HiViz9
Rep:
?
stiff little fingers is a leftist looney tunes so he will naturally dislike any party that is not far-left.
Naah, dont bully the boy.. he is trying to appear adult-like. I am giving him a chance. His pal will be backing him soon, after school ends at 4 oclock.
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Try arguing your point into context.
Are UKIP racist was the question, all the racist incidents quoted to you would suggest they absolutely are

stiff little fingers is a leftist looney tunes so he will naturally dislike any party that is not far-left.
Yeah sold argument :rolleyes: still remains the case that UKIP has a history of incidents involving racism.
HiViz9
Rep:
?
Are UKIP racist was the question, all the racist incidents quoted to you would suggest they absolutely are

Yeah sold argument :rolleyes: still remains the case that UKIP has a history of incidents involving racism.
Hello??? anybody want to debate maturely?? Hello??
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is bizarre... all these comments and not one tad of evidence. I find this surreal.
You were given a list of examples.
QE2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was sitting at a Taverna today, on Greek island, drinking a cold Beer, when some Brits chatted away arguing about Brexit... One said he voted for UKIP and was immediately lambasted with accusations, he supports a racist party.
Just asking for a friend?

Do you think UKIP is racist?
Maybe not, but it is a party for racists, that much is undeniable.
Neilos
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No. It has racist members, but the party itself isn't.

I imagine it gets called racist a lot because calling someone (or something) racist is by far the easiest way to shut down a debate and sideline a viewpoint, with the added bonus of never having to engage with said viewpoint.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by peacock97)
Is the Jewish Defence League a racist party?
New member....
Two posts....
Both about Jews....
I smell a jew lover in our midst!
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The party isnt racist, as such... its members are though.
AW_1983
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was sitting at a Taverna today, on Greek island, drinking a cold Beer, when some Brits chatted away arguing about Brexit... One said he voted for UKIP and was immediately lambasted with accusations, he supports a racist party. Do you think UKIP is racist?
For most of it's history UKIP was an "I'm not racist but...." party. It didn't necessarily take issue with where people were from but it was always aggressive towards cultures and attitudes at odds with those of its members. (This is with the exception of a brief period from when it was founded until the Farage takeover; I would not describe Alan Sked as a racist).

In this period, UKIP frequently did racially insensitive things such as the 'Breaking Point' posters, it's invitation to Kilroy-Silk to join the party after making offensive comments about Islam, saying other Europeans shouldn't be treated for HIV if they used free movement to live in the UK and complaining much more loudly about people of an Eastern European - especially Slavic - background coming to the UK than those from Western Europe. Farage also made comments about people speaking in a foreign language on trains etc, the usual kind of rubbish you expect your elderly but harmless relatives to make.

However, the long term effect of all this dog whistle racism was to turn UKIP into a full blown racist party with links to organisations like Britain First. The transition was completed after the Brexit referendum when the party had no valid reason to exist, it's mildly offensive members left and the hardline racists like Batten took over. On the flip side, the Brexit Party is more like old UKIP except because it is post referendum then like a lot of pro-Brexiters it has become cavalier about democracy and the rule of law, ignorant about respecting the freedom of minorities and quite happy to compare themselves to black slaves and make crass war analogies when talking about Brexit, the usual stuff that small minded but harmless idiots tend to say at Wetherspoons establishments.
AW_1983
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
lolwut the UKIP leader is a software engineer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richar...e_(politician)
And a racist. A few days after winning the leadership video footage from 2019 emerged of him arguing the legality of publicly distributing the Qur’an in the UK and that some British towns are no-go areas for non-Muslims. He also referred to the jailed activist Tommy Robinson as a "political prisoner".
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Not historically but unfortunately it has moved more towards that direction in recent times.

That's a poltical answer but it's the one you are getting.
AW_1983
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Burton Bridge)
Not historically but unfortunately it has moved more towards that direction in recent times.

That's a poltical answer but it's the one you are getting.
I think it was racist historically as well but the difference is in the level of antagonism. Around the 2005 election, UKIP was staffed up and supported by the kind of people who would complain about immigration but who wouldn't say obviously racist things or intimidate people in the street as current supporters might (e.g. Tommy Robinson).

Nevertheless, there was still a racist element to it. Complaints about immigration were always targeted at people speaking a different language or looking different for example. The best way I can describe a Kipper circa 2005 is the kind of person who would always choose a white person over a black person in a job interview or for a promotion, but would still be appalled by skinhead violence against people from minority backgrounds.
Burton Bridge
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AW_1983)
I think it was racist historically as well but the difference is in the level of antagonism. Around the 2005 election, UKIP was staffed up and supported by the kind of people who would complain about immigration but who wouldn't say obviously racist things or intimidate people in the street as current supporters might (e.g. Tommy Robinson).

Nevertheless, there was still a racist element to it. Complaints about immigration were always targeted at people speaking a different language or looking different for example. The best way I can describe a Kipper circa 2005 is the kind of person who would always choose a white person over a black person in a job interview or for a promotion, but would still be appalled by skinhead violence against people from minority backgrounds.
Maybe, maybe but that is very difficult to prove.

I do believe it is factual they have traveled more towards racism now, that's much easier to prove.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (65)
23.21%
No (215)
76.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed