This lecture makes me feel weird........ racially.... is this normal??? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

Basically, I do a course at a fairly good Uni (Top 10 UK), and looking over it prior and course structure and all of it intrigued me, and I was excited to start my course, as I thought that learning something I enjoyed would subsequently make me better at it.

I've been at my Uni for a couple of weeks now, and there are 5 main topics that are compulsory for my course, and 2 that are optional; I enjoy 6 out of those 7. One of my compulsory topics are...... weird to say the least. It is a kinda sociology one, which confuses me as my course isn't very social science-y based but my course director said that out of our topics in the 1st year we do a cross-departmental course that is picked to most complement our course - it doesn't get carried into later years and so I don't see it as that important anyway + also, I knew of this cross departmental thing beforehand, but thought it would be an adjacent department aka if I were studying English, doing a History topic. The annoying thing about this all is that it is compulsory, so might have to study it for the whole year.

To get the racially weird part, this topic has an equally weird professor, from Latin America. She is honestly very sh*te and a lot of people agree, and it doesn't help that she is talking about sensitive topics so bluntly and unprofessionally, as to make the whole topic seem off. She talks about white people very negatively, like stuff like 'white men' cause this, they are the default, white countries have done this and that, and even once said that much of the world is in a bad state due to the less diverse elites in power, and the countless of white men in the past who made bad decisions about the future and looked at the future through a white males lens - this is fuc*ng weird, right? To preface this, I am not a white guy or girl (this might be hard to believe as I'm anonymous, but I promise, I am not), I'm mixed black and arab, shall not specify which countries incase someone from my uni or course somehow narrows it down to me, although my course has well over 300 people in it. I know it is expected of a person of colour to sport these views too, but I promise, a lot of us don't at all and could give a rats ar*se how you look like and we don't like being reminded of our skin colour, as much as this country loves to do so, so this is why I feel uncomfortable about this seemingly white-male bashing even as a non-white male. I am not politically inclined, but I would describe myself as quite liberal if you had to, as I gear more towards some of their views as oppose to a lot of the conservative ones, but I don't really much identify with much of the liberal stuff going on today. I've spoken to other white people in my course about this, as I thought they would feel uncomfortable too, even more so than me, but they don't, and one girl who wasn't really in the conversation but was listening on said that speaking about what white males have done in society past and present is way worse than the feelings of some white people today who have to learn about their ancestors actions - I was thinking wtf tbh. Most white people carry none of the views or actions of the white poeple of the past, so why does the lecture and people in general say stuff like 'white people' and 'white men' and don't specify of what time period?? This level of study and sub-par lecturing is honestly not expected from the uni I attend, and wanted to know some thoughts or potentially ways to feel less uncomfortable though the duration of this 'weird' topic and how to even do well in it, or even how to make an escape of it and who to talk to about this, if at all, in my uni.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
a*
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, its normal.
Sounds like you have crossed paths with an intersectional feminist lecturer or radical feminist for the first time.

Lots of people have these opinions and are keen to encourage other people to share them at uni.
Nothing you can do but let it go in through one ear and out through the other.
Throughout my childhood my father was parroting this stuff incessantly- he is a white male intersectional feminist.:rolleyes:
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I mean, does she talk about this all the time? Because there are actually some sociological theories that genuinely believe this stuff, so if it was just a one off then it's probably fine but if it's something she goes on about all the time then it might be worth reporting if it's making you and others feel uncomfortable.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads