The Student Room Group

Can newly passed drivers drive on the motorway?

Hi everyone. My driving test is in a few weeks and I plan to be driving on the motorway next summer but I have been told that I need to do an extended driving “test” to be able to drive on motorways even when I’ve passed my test. I’ve looked online and can only find websites that are saying that it is being considered. Would really appreciate if someone could let me know if I can drive on the motorway without doing the extended course. Thanks ☺️
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jay750
Hi everyone. My driving test is in a few weeks and I plan to be driving on the motorway next summer but I have been told that I need to do an extended driving “test” to be able to drive on motorways even when I’ve passed my test. I’ve looked online and can only find websites that are saying that it is being considered. Would really appreciate if someone could let me know if I can drive in the motorway without doing the extended course. Thanks ☺️

You can, though a Pass Plus course is a very good idea.
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
You can, though a Pass Plus course is a very good idea.

Thanks, what is the Pass Plus course?
You can drive on the motorway, but a lot of new drivers want some motorway lessons first. You don’t need them if you’re confident though.
Pass plus courses just make your insurance cheaper.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Jay750
Thanks, what is the Pass Plus course?

Google is your friend.
you can

I would recommend at least taking a motorway lesson, passplus doesn't do much for insurance anymore
Original post by Jay750
Hi everyone. My driving test is in a few weeks and I plan to be driving on the motorway next summer but I have been told that I need to do an extended driving “test” to be able to drive on motorways even when I’ve passed my test. I’ve looked online and can only find websites that are saying that it is being considered. Would really appreciate if someone could let me know if I can drive on the motorway without doing the extended course. Thanks ☺️

You will be able to drive on the motorway. And no you wont need to do any extended courses.
Some people have a lesson or 2 on the motorway with their old instructor, so that may be worth doing.
And i wouldnt do pass plus. It doesnt make your insurance cheaper. Most other things on the course you will have done during lessons. It would be cheaper just to have a lesson with your old instructor or go for a drive with someone else with you.
Original post by Dancer2001
You can drive on the motorway, but a lot of new drivers want some motorway lessons first. You don’t need them if you’re confident though.
Pass plus courses just make your insurance cheaper.

No it doesnt make your insurance cheaper. A lot of insurers dont consider it and the ones that do knock hardly anything off (cerainly a lot less than the the £150 you pay for it).
Most other things on the course you will have done during lessons.
The onlt benefit you get is the motorway driving. But you could have a lesson or 2 with your old instructor or go for a drive with someone with you.
Reply 8
Thank you all for your replies. GREATLY appreciated👍
Original post by Jay750
Thank you all for your replies. GREATLY appreciated👍

I took one hr lesson with my old instructor when I got my first car on the motorway. That was all I needed. I drive on motorways all the time.

I wouldn't recommend going with a family member, friend or by yourself!

Quick Reply