erxci
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good afternoon,

I have a question I would really appreciate some help with.

I'm currently in Year 13, having repeated Year 12 once. I understand that most medicine universities do not accept resits, however I don't quite understand what is meant by this. Most of them say "A-Levels must be completed within two consecutive years" and I'm not sure if I apply to this category.

In total, I will spend 3 years doing my A-Levels, sitting the exams only once in 2020. I know that Kings' considers resits, so is one of the options I am applying to, however two other options I'm interested in, Queen Mary's and St George's both say they don't accept resits and it's making me quite uneasy about applying to them.

I'm honestly so confused and don't know what to do at the moment. I was unable to continue with A-Levels in my first year, having to resit Year 12 due to extenuating medical circumstances - will these universities look at these or just flat-out reject my application? I meet all the other criteria listed on their respective websites.

Many thanks
d3vkfc
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im a year 13 student so take this with a pinch of salt but from what I have heard from my friends who repeated year 13, some wont except you and some will require higher grades than usual but their understanding if there was a family or medical crisis(your case) . They may probably be stricter on medicine as my friends were thinking of engineering and accounting so idk, good luck sir/madam/.......- hope you get the university of your choice
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by erxci)
Good afternoon,

I'm currently in Year 13, having repeated Year 12 once. I understand that most medicine universities do not accept resits, however I don't quite understand what is meant by this. Most of them say "A-Levels must be completed within two consecutive years" and I'm not sure if I apply to this category.

In total, I will spend 3 years doing my A-Levels, sitting the exams only once in 2020. I know that Kings' considers resits, so is one of the options I am applying to, however two other options I'm interested in, Queen Mary's and St George's both say they don't accept resits and it's making me quite uneasy about applying to them.

I'm honestly so confused and don't know what to do at the moment. I was unable to continue with A-Levels in my first year, having to resit Year 12 due to extenuating medical circumstances - will these universities look at these or just flat-out reject my application? I meet all the other criteria listed on their respective websites.

Many thanks
It always says on entrance criteria about their policy on resits. Where you feel it does not or you have mit circs then you need to contact them on the phone so they can consider. Barts have a mit circs policy. You dont say what yours were or whether you were taking the same or different A levels. If they were different you would be fine. St Georges say no but you can still ask. I would not apply without approval. There are enough other unis.

I would take#2 with a pinch of salt and find out. med schools are more stringent than other courses.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by erxci)
Good afternoon,

Many thanks
If they say "A-Levels must be completed within two consecutive years" then completing them over 3 does not fit into this category. Doing A levels over 3 years is classed in the same way as a resit.
Barts and SGUL, as you say, do not accept resits, so without extenuating circumstances being agreed with the med school in adviance, they would reject your application. I assume you are not applying this year? If you are, you have almost certainly left it too late to apply for extenuating circumstances as there are usually specific forms you have to complete and this and your evidence has to be reviewed and agreed by the Admissions Team before you apply. If applying next year, start contacting unis around May time to ask how you apply for Extenuating Circumstance Recognition and they will point you in the right direction
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 year ago
Ahsan0916
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I mean you havent done year 13 twice so I dont see why you cant apply. Best bet is email them and tell them about how you had to take year 12 a second time due to extenuating circumstances. You've still done your A levels within the 2 year time frame and havent actually sat any external, exam board, exams so you aren't resitting any A levels.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ahsan0916)
I mean you havent done year 13 twice so I dont see why you cant apply. Best bet is email them and tell them about how you had to take year 12 a second time due to extenuating circumstances. You've still done your A levels within the 2 year time frame and havent actually sat any external, exam board, exams so you aren't resitting any A levels.
But OP has still had an extra year to learn the A level content? If they do Yr 12, Yr 12, Yr 13, how is that within a 2 year timeframe, as it took 3 years? OP will sit A levels in May 2020 and presumably first started Yr 12 in Sept 2017. That is not within 2 years.
They are clearly outside the stated requirements and would need to confirm with admissions if their Extenuating Circumstances will allow them to be considered. Some med schools say that if you turn up for an exam, you are declaring yourself fit to sit it and that any mitigating factors should be raised with the exam board at the time. Others are more laid back about it
live_and_let
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by erxci)
Good afternoon,

Many thanks
Contact medical schools and explain your situation to them! Focus on applying to the ones that don't care so much about spending an extra year in school.
In all honesty, medicine is more than about A-level grades and most med schools secretly know this! They just don't have a better way to quickly sift through tons of applications to pick the best ones.. So im sure that there are some med schools out there that don't particularly care about how long you spent obtaining your A-levels.. If you manage to find a handful of such universities, then you can actually use your situation positively to stand out from the crowd.. Everyone wants to hear a nice story and I think this would make for a good one...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (48)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (90)
11.39%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (82)
10.38%
Lack of purpose or motivation (101)
12.78%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (40)
5.06%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (45)
5.7%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (86)
10.89%
Financial worries (52)
6.58%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (35)
4.43%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.33%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (25)
3.16%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (74)
9.37%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (62)
7.85%

Watched Threads