georgi43
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. I am a first year Psychology student and my first assignment is about depression. I should evaluate the claim “Depression is a biological disorder”. Can you give me some information whether that’s true or not because at this point I am really confused from all the theories about the etiology of the disorder.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Research, read journal articles. There is a biological component, but there are a lot of things that contribute to it.
Interrobang
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by georgi43)
Hi. I am a first year Psychology student and my first assignment is about depression. I should evaluate the claim “Depression is a biological disorder”. Can you give me some information whether that’s true or not because at this point I am really confused from all the theories about the etiology of the disorder.
Moved to Study Help
study212
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Don't be depressed. I have a solution of it.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is a processing disorder... the mind is hard wired to find solutions and if it cannot do so, goes on a downward spiral of help!
study212
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I understand your situation. I can give you contact of one person he will help you definitely. I also getting help from him.
georgi43
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by study212)
I understand your situation. I can give you contact of one person he will help you definitely. I also getting help from him.
That would be lovely.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
- Serotonin theory: no substantial evidence, SSRIs work instantly yet don't 'work' for a number of weeks (even then its similar to placebo in mild - moderate depression)
- genetics: twin studies support a heritability, but not as much as say bipolar or schizophrenia
- Other more psychological theories: learned helplessness, behavioural learnt theories, Beck's negative triad/cognitive model, autographical mode network & cognitive control,
- bring together both in a stress diathesis model
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.72%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (67)
28.51%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (88)
37.45%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.77%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (6)
2.55%

Watched Threads