Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Al-Qaeda had plans, and maby still has, to attack the U.S. via mexico. Now may i ask, why are americans aggressive towards canada-U.S. border security while to their south, illegal immigrants and terrorists are slipping through unnoticed?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...782068,00.html

ReputationRep:
    We care just as much about our southern border as our northern one.

ReputationRep:
    Well then, why dont you do more to protect it.

(Original post by canuck)
    It's all political. Both the dems and the repubs are vieing for the mexican vote.
    In this respect, both Kerry and Bush are *******s, they will do nothing to stop the flood of illegals that are flowing across our border.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't worth it from a practical standpoint. It would cost way too much money to do.

ReputationRep:
    The US- Mexican border is much more protected than the US-Canadian border. The southern border is concealed the entire length, but much of the northern border is open.

ReputationRep:
    It's much more effective to increase security along the US-Canadian border than it is with the US-Mexican border. There's no sense in pumping money into something that isn't going to work.

ReputationRep:
    I was watching a TV programme a while ago that showed the high-security of the Mexican border (in California), but people still got through because they really wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    Al-Qaeda had plans, and maby still has, to attack the U.S. via mexico. Now may i ask, why are americans aggressive towards canada-U.S. border security while to their south, illegal immigrants and terrorists are slipping through unnoticed?
    Because the evil Canadians may try to export some medicines to US seniors at very much discounted rates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Because the evil Canadians may try to export some medicines to US seniors at very much discounted rates.
    lol, god forbid, they might live longer :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the americans got north and south mixed up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will)
    I was watching a TV programme a while ago that showed the high-security of the Mexican border (in California), but people still got through because they really wanted to.
    Every summer in my state they find bodies of illegal Mexican immigrants trapped in the grain cars of trains coming from Mexico. They smuggle inside them then can't get out and they die of thirst and heat. It's pretty gruesome-- shows you how desperate some of them are. If that's any testament to how difficult it is to get into America via Mexico then I'm really not at all worried about a massive well-planned terrorist assault.

ReputationRep:
    What if the terrorists put toxins in the grain cars?

Or if they got in the grain cars, but took hacksaws or crowbars to escape from the inside?

I like living in a country that is only accessable via sea, air, and train!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_Death)
    That does seem handy. Of course, Cuban refugees don't find the sea separation that duanting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_Death)
    What if the terrorists put toxins in the grain cars?

Or if they got in the grain cars, but took hacksaws or crowbars to escape from the inside?

a grain car is made of much thicker steel/iron than can be dealt with by a hacksaw.

you can drive your car on the ferry so that only leaves walking as your safety net. how many bombs can the terrorist carry on his back? again not enough to make me worried. besides the terrorists that flew planes did it all once they got here and it took a long time of planning and they all had the required documents to be in the states. A terrorist could easily get the required documents to be in England- he doesn't have to come in illegally. What about the terrorists that are actually american themselves like Tim McVeigh or the Unibomber or the Washington sniper? Preventing terrorism is more complicated than blocking immigrants.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.