Issue with house noise Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So basically I recently moved in a new house as a private tenant and I've been having quite a lot of issues with noise. Basically the insulation on walls both on walls and the ceiling is really bad and as a result I constantly hear people talking outside from my room AND whenever people walk upstairs I can hear loud bang noises from the impact noise which is starting to drive me crazy as I often can't focus when reading & the impact noise sometimes wakes me up when sleeping. I've already spoken with the Landlord but they pretty much said that nothing can be done as it's the construction of the house causing this. I was wondering, what are my rights regarding this issue and what can I do in this situation?Any help would be much appreciated!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So basically I recently moved in a new house as a private tenant and I've been having quite a lot of issues with noise. Basically the insulation on walls both on walls and the ceiling is really bad and as a result I constantly hear people talking outside from my room AND whenever people walk upstairs I can hear loud bang noises from the impact noise which is starting to drive me crazy as I often can't focus when reading & the impact noise sometimes wakes me up when sleeping. I've already spoken with the Landlord but they pretty much said that nothing can be done as it's the construction of the house causing this. I was wondering, what are my rights regarding this issue and what can I do in this situation?Any help would be much appreciated!
What do you mean rights? Is anyone doing it deliberately to annoy you?
You want to take someone to court?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
What do you mean rights? Is anyone doing it deliberately to annoy you?
You want to take someone to court?
Not really, I'm certain they aren't doing this on purpose. I was more off wondering whether I'm entitled to any rights as a tenant that'd force the landlord to take this matter more seriously (as it isn't just about the noise but it's also affecting my sleeping / concentration )
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
Not really, I'm certain they aren't doing this on purpose. I was more off wondering whether I'm entitled to any rights as a tenant that'd force the landlord to take this matter more seriously (as it isn't just about the noise but it's also affecting my sleeping / concentration )
What do you expect the LL to do?
Anonymous #1
What do you expect the LL to do?
I don't know help me resolve the issue? This is literally why I posted the question here.
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t think the LL can really do anything. Is there another room you could move to?
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
I don't know help me resolve the issue? This is literally why I posted the question here.
I am trying to by getting you to think about the situation.
Talk to Shelter and ask them, possibly quiet enjoyment and ask your LL to be released then find somewhere else.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
I am trying to by getting you to think about the situation.
Talk to Shelter and ask them, possibly quiet enjoyment and ask your LL to be released then find somewhere else.
The issue with that, is that i'm on a fixed-term contract therefor I can't just 'leave' that easy unless the landlord agrees. That's why I'm asking for advice on how I can get out of this situation.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
The issue with that, is that i'm on a fixed-term contract therefor I can't just 'leave' that easy unless the landlord agrees. That's why I'm asking for advice on how I can get out of this situation.
You misunderstand. If he is in breach then you can leave anyway. You would probably have to get the council involved.
Alternatively the LL can release you. Talk to shelter.

The other way is to report an nuisance and that means getting the council involved and making enemies of your neighbours.

You can talk to them but if its just the construction of the house its the house. talk to enviro health at the council if you dont talk to shelter.
Last edited by 999tigger; 1 week ago
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I really don't think you can do anything except use headphones/earplugs. No one is being unreasonably noisy. Your landlord can't soundproof the house. You'll probably get used to it to an extent
Peter.JohnsonJR
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't know the law but im guessing a landlord has to has his property up to a certain standard and if the build of house causing all this noise in then it is his problem. I hope you are paying very very cheap rent in this case.
Best to find some other place to live.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads