QUAVA ASKS: What's your opinion on makeup? Watch

HumbleBee_x
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I don't wanna come accross as vain but when I wear makeup like a tad bit, like conceal my under eyes and wear lippy I get stared at alotttt by strangers, whether its pervy stares from men or them longing stares you get from other women.
Tbh, I feel really good with makeup on but I don't feel comfortable wearing it if that makes sense, when I've got makeup on I'm more concerned about my looks than I am without it. That for me, is irritating, I'm more conscious about myself. Now why would I want that???

Plus it's a bloody distraction, you're constantly having to check yourself out in the mirror, honestly to those girls out there who wear it on a daily...how tf do you do it?? :rolleyes:
Plus, if you wear it on a daily everyone is used to seeing you like that, imagine when an event comes up where you're required to doll up...you're gonna look the same :dontknow:
but if it makes you happy, you do you innit.

I only wear makeup occasionally. I remember the first few weeks of sixth form I wore a bit, but I stopped. I guess that was purely due to influence around me, a lot of the girls I'm close with wear it so I thought why not step up my game...but I seriously couldn't hack it no more :lol:
I wonder if I'll wear it when I step into the world of work :rolleyes:

Gonna be honest, I feel beautiful in my own skin.
But obvs I gotta admit that I do love makeup, I like building my collection. But ngl I'm more of a skincare freak I'd invest more money on expensive facials over those high-end full coverage foundations.
Last edited by HumbleBee_x; 4 days ago
antibody123
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
i only wear mascara and on the days i dont i normally just curl my eyelashes to make me look more awake ...
i need concealer cos i look like a panda but cba to wear it :lol:
IH8Studying
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
i would wear it but
1. i touch my face too much like rub my irritable eyes so i would wipe my eye makeup off
2. i don’t know how to apply makeup except foundation and concealer and mascara but not eyeliner or eyeshadow

makeup is so beautiful
mgi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by -Quava-)
I lot of men say that but I refuse to believe it.
Guys like the girl to look her best. Wear make up if you want to but do make sure you apply it really well!
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by IH8Studying)
i would wear it but
1. i touch my face too much like rub my irritable eyes so i would wipe my eye makeup off
2. i don’t know how to apply makeup except foundation and concealer and mascara but not eyeliner or eyeshadow

makeup is so beautiful
Yes, but you could get advice on how to apply make up in a way that really suits your face!
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
A necessary evil.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by AngryJellyfish)
A necessary evil.
Make up?
AngryJellyfish
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mgi)
Make up?
Yes. Foundation specifically, I rarely use anything else.
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by mgi)
Yes, but you could get advice on how to apply make up in a way that really suits your face!
You’re right but it really takes so much learning and effort. I would wear makeup if i had a foundation that matched the rest of my body(it’s always too light) and if i knew how to apply eyeshadow lol
-Quava-
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by mgi)
Guys like the girl to look her best. Wear make up if you want to but do make sure you apply it really well!
I'm not up for pleasing the eyes of non-mahram men. They do not deserve to see me at my best.
-Quava-
Rep:
?
(Original post by HumbleBee_x)
I don't wanna come accross as vain but when I wear makeup like a tad bit, like conceal my under eyes and wear lippy I get stared at alotttt by strangers, whether its pervy stares from men or them longing stares you get from other women.
Tbh, I feel really good with makeup on but I don't feel comfortable wearing it if that makes sense, when I've got makeup on I'm more concerned about my looks than I am without it. That for me, is irritating, I'm more conscious about myself. Now why would I want that???

Plus it's a bloody distraction, you're constantly having to check yourself out in the mirror, honestly to those girls out there who wear it on a daily...how tf do you do it?? :rolleyes:
Plus, if you wear it on a daily everyone is used to seeing you like that, imagine when an event comes up where you're required to doll up...you're gonna look the same :dontknow:
but if it makes you happy, you do you innit.

I only wear makeup occasionally. I remember the first few weeks of sixth form I wore a bit, but I stopped. I guess that was purely due to influence around me, a lot of the girls I'm close with wear it so I thought why not step up my game...but I seriously couldn't hack it no more :lol:
I wonder if I'll wear it when I step into the world of work :rolleyes:

Gonna be honest, I feel beautiful in my own skin.
But obvs I gotta admit that I do love makeup, I like building my collection. But ngl I'm more of a skincare freak I'd invest more money on expensive facials over those high-end full coverage foundations.
I completely agree.
Too much unnecessary and unwanted attention and I would rather spend the money on high-end skincare.
I'm glad you feel beautiful in your own skin sister.
-Quava-
Rep:
?
(Original post by SlightlySummer)
Oh I forgot to write blusher, I wear a lot of that as well (soft girl aesthetic lol)
I don't wear bronzer or contour much though.
Tho sometimes I actually wonder how much money I've spent simply on makeup in the past year though, I do feel like many were impulse buys
Why do you feel like you have to wear it?
It's been like one or two days since I made this thread and I didnt wear makeup when I went out.
I used to feel I had to. And then I clocked that they want us to us to feel insecure and they point out things to make us feel insecure about ourselves and at the same time they have quick fix solutions i.e. makeup.
It's a cruel world if you think about it.
They make us women feel less of ourselves when we are truly ourselves in order for us to spend money on cosmetics.

And I when I go out now and I see girls with a lot of makeup on it doesn't look appealing to me any more because I just think of it as manipulation.
I'm going to try to stop wearing it.
Dunya
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Amon-ster)
It's cool as a hobby, like got nothing against it if it makes someone happy. But if they do it to impress other people just makes me want to pity them tbh. Unless it's your significant other then 💁*♂️.

I think it becomes a problem when society creates this delusion to girls that they NEED to wear make up to feel secure about themselves. Especially younger girls since they're more vulnerable to getting influenced.

Oh another issue is the price of make up, not related to girls wearing it but I seen the price of some make up and I be like you got to be having a laugh 😅
Thanks for contributing to the thread chica.
Dunya
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Brows, Kajal, lips ✅
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I'm not up for pleasing the eyes of non-mahram men. They do not deserve to see me at my best.
Yes, fine it is your body.
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Make-up dependency is a deal-breaker for me in any long-term scenario. I can't date a Dorian Gray façade.
RichPiana
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Guys, remember to take her swimming on the first date so you can see what she really looks like under that 10 tons of makeup.
FantasticMsFox
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I don't wear makeup at all...except for weddings where someone else will put it on me (family member/friend/makeup artist). Even then, I prefer only some foundation and eyeliner/kajal, although there was one time where I also had some eye shadow and lipgloss or lipstick and that felt like too much. I have zero knowledge about applying makeup. If I remember correctly, the last time I wore makeup was at least 2 years ago.

I feel there is no need for me to wear makeup. I'm more interested in rings (I only have a few that I keep for special occasions), mehndi/henna (worn around Eid and special weddings) and watches (I wear one every time I leave the house otherwise my wrist feels naked).
Last edited by FantasticMsFox; 3 days ago
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I lot of men say that but I refuse to believe it.
Observe:
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I don't wear loads, just enough to cover the horrendous bits.
(Original post by antibody123)
i need concealer cos i look like a panda but cba to wear it :lol:
(Original post by Discrepancy)
Simply because I look like I crawled from the dead AKA zombie life.
My experience is that, strikingly more often than not, those who must resort to ever more extreme use of cosmetics in a faltering effort to as it were, 'look human' are the sad architects of a malaise which actually began with their chronic neglect of elementary skincare—to wit: sleep, nutrition, exercise, sunscreen, and moisturiser, in roughly that order.

Make-up applied minimally to normalise one's complexion—for instance, by eliminating hyperpigmentation and similarly transient blemishes—or else as part of a glamour ensemble is perfectly harmless, and when practised with consummate artistry, genuinely worthy of celebration. However, make-up compulsion is an insidious character flaw which connotes dishonesty, insecurity, ignorance and ill-health in varying degrees and while I've certainly every sympathy for those in the latter category, when it comes to long-term companionship I neither truck with nor traffic in optical illusions.

By way of illustration, here's a past companion of mine who recently turned thirty; she seldom wears make-up but, having suffered with persistent facial acne throughout her late teens and early adulthood, sought to remedy that problem holistically and in so doing developed a robust skincare regimen which she practises to this day. Here again, centre: an ex-girlfriend some ten years my senior, also wearing no make-up. And again. Do they look 'undead' to you?
Last edited by Profesh; 3 days ago
IH8Studying
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Profesh)
Observe:

My experience is that, strikingly more often than not, those who must resort to ever more extreme use of cosmetics in a faltering effort to as it were, 'look human' are the sad architects of a malaise which actually began with their chronic neglect of elementary skincare—to wit: sleep, nutrition, exercise, sunscreen, and moisturiser, in roughly that order.

Make-up applied minimally to normalise one's complexion—for instance, by eliminating hyperpigmentation and similarly transient blemishes—or else as part of a glamour ensemble is perfectly harmless, and when practised with consummate artistry, genuinely worthy of celebration. However, make-up compulsion is an insidious character flaw which connotes dishonesty, insecurity, ignorance and chronic ill-health in varying degrees, and while I've certainly every sympathy for those in the latter category, when it comes to long-term companionship I neither truck with nor traffic in optical illusions.

By way of illustration, here's a past companion of mine who recently turned thirty; she seldom wears make-up but, having suffered with persistent facial acne throughout her late teens and early adulthood, sought to remedy that problem holistically and in so doing developed a robust skincare regimen which she practises to this day. Here again, centre: an ex-girlfriend some ten years my senior, also wearing no make-up. Do they look 'dead' to you?
actually for some people hyperpigmentation is hereditary so no amount of sleep or good diet will help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (132)
18.01%
It's just nice to be back! (199)
27.15%
Not great so far... (265)
36.15%
I want to drop out! (137)
18.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise