wildsycamore
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm in Year Twelve, I love English literature and want to study it at uni. I'm in the process of choosing a topic for my Extended Project Qualification, and I really want to do it on something to do with books. My ideas so far are:
-the presentation of mental illness in literature (focusing on The Bell Jar and Catcher in the Rye)
-something to do with Orlando by Virginia Woolf, maybe about gender?
-something on Kafka (the only thing I've read by him so far is The Trial, but I love it a lot and have so much to say about the themes)
-other books I'd consider writing about are Giovanni's Room, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Lolita, To Kill a Mockingbird

Should I choose a theme and investigate how it is presented in different books? Should I investigate how a particular event in history has influenced literature/how a particular author was influenced by events in their life? Or should I stop focusing on specific books and ask something like "How can we persuade young people to read more?"
blackthrn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i'm not sure what spec you do (i do english lit B) but i'd be concerned about doing one that is too similar to an NEA - i don't think unis would find it of much value. i wouldn't focus on a specific novel, (i like your first idea!) and i'd go for something more like a particular period or theme. i also like the particular event in history idea - i think that could be explored thoroughly and make a really good EPQ
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (620)
33.68%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (775)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.77%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads