AS Gradient Functions Question HELP!! Watch

Reena Bansi
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
^^See attached image. I have done part (i) but I don’t understand what (ii) is asking me to do. Any ideas?
Attached files
ghostwalker
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reena Bansi)
^^See attached image. I have done part (i) but I don’t understand what (ii) is asking me to do. Any ideas?
Seems self explanatory. Differentiate y to get dy/dx. Sketch dy/dx like any other function of x, and compare it with what you got for part (i).
Physics Enemy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i) Intuitively sketch f'(x) by thinking about the grad of f(x) i.e) for each portion of the graph, is grad +ve or -ve, increasing or decreasing? You know f'(x) = 0 at x = 1, 5 from the turning points of f(x).

ii) Differentiate to get a quadratic, did you sketch this initially in i)? Solve it, you should get 1, 5 as the roots, agreeing with the sketch in i).
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As above. The whole "comparing" part is checking whether your f'(x) is +ve whenever f(x) is increasing, whether f'(x) is zero when f(x) reaches its stationary points, and whether f'(x) is negative whenever f(x) is decreasing. These things have to agree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads