samirabdullah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Can anyone give me some advice as to how I should go about my 25 markers as I really have no clue whatsoever? I can know all the content in the world, and usually I do know all of the content needed to answer the question but I struggle to maintain a coherent argument and fall short of a top answer. Any advice?
Joe312
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Intent

‘The student argues with clear intent throughout and the logic of the argument is sustained.’

Intent refers to your intended response to the question, for example to an ‘assess Theory X’ question, your intent might be to argue that it is false.

The intent must exist ‘throughout’ the essay, meaning stated in the introduction, conclusion and the end of each paragraph.

Sustaining the logic of the (your) argument means that each paragraph must be ended in a way which fits your intent. If your intent is to show Theory X false but end a paragraph dealing with one of its issues with the evaluative judgement that Theory X can be adequately defended from the issue, then that does not fit your intent and the logic of your argument (that Theory X is false) would not be sustained if you left the paragraph like that. So, you either need to add another step showing how Theory X actually does not survive the issue for some further reason, OR you must explain how Theory X surviving this issue does not change your intent/argument because of some other issue you dealt with previously or are about to deal with next. Or, if possible, you could show how in responding to that issue, Theory X opens itself up for some other more fatal criticism.
samirabdullah
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Joe312)
Intent

‘The student argues with clear intent throughout and the logic of the argument is sustained.’

Intent refers to your intended response to the question, for example to an ‘assess Theory X’ question, your intent might be to argue that it is false.

The intent must exist ‘throughout’ the essay, meaning stated in the introduction, conclusion and the end of each paragraph.

Sustaining the logic of the (your) argument means that each paragraph must be ended in a way which fits your intent. If your intent is to show Theory X false but end a paragraph dealing with one of its issues with the evaluative judgement that Theory X can be adequately defended from the issue, then that does not fit your intent and the logic of your argument (that Theory X is false) would not be sustained if you left the paragraph like that. So, you either need to add another step showing how Theory X actually does not survive the issue for some further reason, OR you must explain how Theory X surviving this issue does not change your intent/argument because of some other issue you dealt with previously or are about to deal with next. Or, if possible, you could show how in responding to that issue, Theory X opens itself up for some other more fatal criticism.
Thank you very much this is actually very useful information for me! Sometimes for the sake of writing more, I end up just putting in something that does not fit my intent and I guess that's where I ought to improve; in not adding extra information for no reason and essentially not waffling.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed