How expensive is a wedding? Watch

londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by OR321)
If you’re anything like my ASIAN family then you’ll probably spend tens of thousands on a wedding for no reason. The worst thing is one of my brothers got a divorce so the amount of money spent on his wedding was a massive waste 😂😬
The wonderful hospitality demonstrated towards guests at asian weddings is fabulous.
The huge effort and expense that so many families go to when celebrating marriages shows how seriously they still take the institution of marriage.
I'm very sorry that your brother's marriage didn't work out.
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
It's all a lot of hassle to simply promise fidelity
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
No intention of getting married, I'm a 17 year old guy! But anyways, heard of a woman taking a £5k engagement ring by saying yes than cutting off all ties with the man. Got me wondering, how expensive would it be to get married?

I would want a wedding where
-the hall can seat around 300 people
-Parking
-catering
-Nice wedding ring

That's it really, and a good suit and dress for bride.
As observed, average is about £30k. For 300 people you'd probably be looking at more, if you want to keep things "average". https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8460451.html

A large part of the problem is that as soon as you mention 'wedding' prices double, tripe or more. Sellers know that if you're planning a wedding you have money and straight away bump up all prices. Same applies to how they can sell you a wedding dress for £5k, or a wedding ring for £10k, when you could get a perfectly serviceable one of each for £200.

My wedding cost about £3k all told (including rings, dress etc), but I only had 35 guests, had free venue, help from friends with catering. It would be very hard to do it for less.

I'd certainly sooner not get married than spend £30k though. Being married means next to nothing to both me and my partner. Makes no difference whatsoever.
Dunya
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
40k being the norm now.
Vinny C
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Registry office and a large gazebo in the cark park. £200 tops...
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Registry office and a large gazebo in the cark park. £200 tops...
You'd be willing to risk grumpy registry office staff and the worst of British weather wrecking the happiest day of your life?
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I've never understood people spending that much on just one day. My fiance and I are planning on eloping just us and 2 or 3 close friends, then having a family gathering afterwards at the in-laws' house. We aren't people to enjoy big events or lots of attention, so the idea of spending lots on a wedding isn't our cup of tea at all.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hey... you could always elope to the Greta Green party.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
You'd be willing to risk grumpy registry office staff and the worst of British weather wrecking the happiest day of your life?
Grumpy... try the DHSS. Was met by a woman who looked like she had just lost £50 flanked by two minders. Yes... what do you want? Er… you used to help people find work? Get lost and do it yourself on line!
peeked
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
For Punjabi people it's legit insane - £65 - £100k is pretty normal but tbf there is a lot more guests (like 600-800) and usually takes place over the course of 3-5 days with 2-3 parties including the main wedding party (which might be spread over a week)
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The wonderful hospitality demonstrated towards guests at asian weddings is fabulous.
The huge effort and expense that so many families go to when celebrating marriages shows how seriously they still take the institution of marriage.
It’s okay and I agree tbh It’s not just the weddings though, it’s the suits, cars, dresses and for my mum- a load of jewellery 😂. I feel like Asian mums are obsessed with gold
Emily_B
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
No intention of getting married, I'm a 17 year old guy! But anyways, heard of a woman taking a £5k engagement ring by saying yes than cutting off all ties with the man. Got me wondering, how expensive would it be to get married?

-Parking
-catering
-Nice wedding ring

(Original post by Joe1000000)
No idea as for the specifics of your question, but apparently the median cost of a UK wedding was £30k last year.
It's as expensive (or not) as you make it. 4 years ago, the actual legalities of getting married - ie a basic register office wedding - cost me and my husband about £150. It's all the rest of it that adds up (rings, clothes, catering, entertainment, time & effort of research/phone calls/bookings). We did the whole lot for £5000 (including organising, sending invites etc) - we had a great day as did our guests
-Quava-
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
If that's your plan avoid the London ones.
Several friends have been charged £300-350, with free insults about their jewellery or relatives wedding outfits not looking expensive enough.
I live in the North so far from London. :lol:
Sheesh... :eek:
Luckily I've never cared about anyones opinions and it will be my immediate family at my nikkah in'sha'Allah and my immediate family at the dinner afterward.
Money or boasting or pleasing others really does not mix well with me.
-Quava-
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
They spend a lot of money not because they take marriage seriously but because its about upping one another and competing over which child has the biggest, flashiest wedding.
-Quava-
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I was thinking of the price of the wedding party. After nikkah and all the religious and legal paperwork is done, the actual wedding is what I'm thinking of.
Whatever happens, don't feel pressured to go above and beyond what you can afford. Don't start a marriage off in debt or with no money. Be wise and tactful.
Marriages are beautiful and sacred to us but frivolous spending we should not do.
Dewn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
For some people, even ~12k is a big sum. In Essex, there are pretty cheap and nice looking venues. I think you can find some for that price in other UK towns as well.
Last edited by Dewn; 3 days ago
Anonymous #2
Report 3 days ago

-Parking
-catering
-Nice wedding ring

Really depends, what are your ethnicity wise ??
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (110)
17.74%
It's just nice to be back! (167)
26.94%
Not great so far... (224)
36.13%
I want to drop out! (119)
19.19%

Watched Threads