The Student Room Group

is it hard to make friends at uni if your commuting: opinions & personal experience

how long did it take to make close friends as well, i would've added that in the title but there were limited characters.
Just commenting so I can read this thread when there are more replies lol.

I'm in my second year of university and still don't have any friends whatsoever. I'm commuting this term and it's challenging. It depends where you live? I live in the city centre and take a bus everyday to my uni which is kinda far. those I live with in my student halls all go to a different uni than me. so I can barely interact/get to know them which is unfortunate:/ because I hardly even see them. I commute on my own but I'm hoping as the months/year(s) goes on I'll eventually find some friends to spend time with.
I'm a first year commuting student. To be honest, I've not struggled too much socially. I chat to people on my course and sometimes they invite me to have lunch with them which is nice. That being said, I've still not found my "group" as such, but I know a few faces so I think it's all good.

I arrive on campus fully with the intention of studying, so I put my energy into that so I don't feel so low about not having a close knit group yet, but it seems to be the same for everyone else. At least though by commuting we can get away from any stresses caused by feeling lonely.
No.
I've never lived on campus for undergrad or postgrad and have made plenty of friends.

Just be approachable, respond to social overtures in a friendly way and be willing to chat/accept invitations for lunch or go out for drinks.
If you are willing to pay for everyone's lunch or buy other people drinks- that will attract a lot of friends. Maybe too many. :tongue:
But never ever lend cash or agree to pay anyone's utility bills- that reputation is impossible to shake off.
I’m commuting and still haven’t made any proper friends yet, and I’m 4 weeks in. I’ve met some people in some lectures/tutorials who I can speak to in class but we never speak outside of them.

I seriously wished I just moved away.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending