Huckipity
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Feeling pretty disheartened at the moment as I got my A level Maths test back today and got 1 mark above a C It was on the first 3 chapters of pure, so the test was fairly easy but I made a ton of mistakes. Is it normal to do badly at the start?
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
hey, I got consecutive U's throughout y12, the highest I was getting was maybe a C/B in yr13. got an A in the end. don't panic.

do you know what percentage you got?
Huckipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by Leviathan1611)
hey, I got consecutive U's throughout y12, the highest I was getting was maybe a C/B in yr13. got an A in the end. don't panic.

do you know what percentage you got?
Wow, congrats! That's a real improvement. The percentage was 62%
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Huckipity)
Wow, congrats! That's a real improvement. The percentage was 62%
are you in y12 or y13.

I must say, I rarely got those percentages, I was always <60%. probably got a 74% once but that was only on a topic or two. if you want to improve, ask your teacher for feedback, and do as many past papers as possible.
itscourtchicks
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When i was doing Further Maths for GCSE, i continually got Cs and a few Ds. Eventually I wised up and got my head stuck into books to get an A*. In terms of AS Maths, i did find it much harder (more like the work load was a big change), and i did end up with a C in AS - so i dropped it and I'm continuing with my three strongest subjects (Bio, Chem, French) which I'm predicted A*AA*.
Maths is one of those subjects where a lot (and i stress A LOT) of practice will only make you better. I would say for the majority of people i've talked to, they found it pretty hard at the start but achieved decent grades at the end. If you find you're really failing/it's your worse subject, then defo drop it. But of course, try your hardest and keep doing more questions than asked and yeah, don't panic
Huckipity
Rep:
?
are you in y12 or y13.

I must say, I rarely got those percentages, I was always <60%. probably got a 74% once but that was only on a topic or two. if you want to improve, ask your teacher for feedback, and do as many past papers as possible.
Year 12. It's my first ever A level Maths exam, and I flopped
HoldThisL
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
there's really nothing wrong with that. how long ago did term start? A levels aren't gcses and most people will be doing poorer than they expected, even if they worked hard, but you will improve
Leviathan1611
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh that's a great start! I remember getting less than 10 marks in my papers, (which were probably 40-80 marks in total).

what have you been doing so far to revise?
minnieibs
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It’s your first test, alevels are a big jump from gcses so you are not going to be amazing from the start. Just look over your mistakes make corrections and apply them to future tests and make sure to practice a lot and if you don’t understand anything go to your teacher. Good luck! Remember you have a lot of time to improve!
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Its your first exam. Dont worry. You have not long started. A C is alright for your first exam. You will get better grades with time.
Huckipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by itscourtchicks)
When i was doing Further Maths for GCSE, i continually got Cs and a few Ds. Eventually I wised up and got my head stuck into books to get an A*. In terms of AS Maths, i did find it much harder (more like the work load was a big change), and i did end up with a C in AS - so i dropped it and I'm continuing with my three strongest subjects (Bio, Chem, French) which I'm predicted A*AA*.
Maths is one of those subjects where a lot (and i stress A LOT) of practice will only make you better. I would say for the majority of people i've talked to, they found it pretty hard at the start but achieved decent grades at the end. If you find you're really failing/it's your worse subject, then defo drop it. But of course, try your hardest and keep doing more questions than asked and yeah, don't panic
Thanks for the advice. I'm also doing Biology and Chemistry like you, however I'm only doing 3 subjects at the moment so there's no possibility of dropping Maths, even if I continue to flop, as you have to do 3 A levels minimum. Hopefully I get better as time goes on.
Huckipity
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
there's really nothing wrong with that. how long ago did term start? A levels aren't gcses and most people will be doing poorer than they expected, even if they worked hard, but you will improve
True. I'm only about 5 weeks into studying my A levels so I guess there's time to improve. Only 1 person in my class got an A, 3 people got Cs and the rest got Ds/Us which is pretty scary not going to lie.
Huckipity
Rep:
?
Oh that's a great start! I remember getting less than 10 marks in my papers, (which were probably 40-80 marks in total).

what have you been doing so far to revise?
So far I've just been reading the textbook and doing practice questions in my frees after each lesson. However, I've kinda been neglecting Maths at the moment due to me enjoying Biology and Chemistry way more (not that I dislike Maths). I definitely need to start doing more practise though.
inspiringcolours
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Few people walk into A-Levels and get A/A*s on their first tests/essays, especially in skills-based subjects like maths. You have two years of practice ahead of you!
HoldThisL
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
True. I'm only about 5 weeks into studying my A levels so I guess there's time to improve. Only 1 person in my class got an A, 3 people got Cs and the rest got Ds/Us which is pretty scary not going to lie.
exactly. I got an E in my first mock and half the year failed

it is scary but it's just part of the adjustment process
Party-P3opl3-9
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Feeling pretty disheartened at the moment as I got my A level Maths test back today and got 1 mark above a C It was on the first 3 chapters of pure, so the test was fairly easy but I made a ton of mistakes. Is it normal to do badly at the start?
Dude that's normal for everyone, including high achievers. Don't stress, just enjoy the first few months and just start working harder in january/february. Anecdotally I got C's in mocks but A* in the actual exam, there is plenty of time for improvement.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads