Friend feels excluded from friendship trio - what should I do? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So a few months ago I became close friends with a couple of people who I knew before but weren't close with. We started going out a lot (over the summer holidays) and we all got very close to each other and liked going out as a three.

However, near the end of summer, one of my friends messaged me saying they feel excluded from this little group and they want to be invited out along with us. (mind that for two years before, they all excluded me from their group too- and somewhat still do.)

We haven't gone out in a while because of school but are trying to organise another time for going out this coming week and we all seem up for it. Although today, another one of my friends has said that they think I should invite them out (it turned into a very tense argument) - even though we like going out as a three and it would feel weird to invite someone else out.

Surely I'm allowed to go out with whoever I want and not have to invite everyone who wants to join us. So yeah, what should I do?
Linnielizzie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Who excluded you? I thought it was just one of your friends? sorry I’m confused lol.

I sort of had the same situation before, well multiple times. Friendships come and go and we’re human beings. Our emotions can change very quickly or stay for a very long time. Which is what happened to me.
I think when your friendship group is smaller, you get attached easily building up this wall that you don’t even know is there. It can exclude many people out. If your not comfortable with hanging out with this friend then you shouldn’t force yourself to. If you do want to hang out with her, but she’s not really friends with ur other two friends, then I dont think you should invite her to a hangout with ur girls. You should hang out with her separately and maybe take a step back as well and see whats been going on with other peeps too ya know?
OR321
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I absolutely hate trio friendships 😂. It’s either 2 or 4 for me.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So a few months ago I became close friends with a couple of people who I knew before but weren't close with. We started going out a lot (over the summer holidays) and we all got very close to each other and liked going out as a three.

However, near the end of summer, one of my friends messaged me saying they feel excluded from this little group and they want to be invited out along with us. (mind that for two years before, they all excluded me from their group too- and somewhat still do.)

We haven't gone out in a while because of school but are trying to organise another time for going out this coming week and we all seem up for it. Although today, another one of my friends has said that they think I should invite them out (it turned into a very tense argument) - even though we like going out as a three and it would feel weird to invite someone else out.

Surely I'm allowed to go out with whoever I want and not have to invite everyone who wants to join us. So yeah, what should I do?
Is there one friend or two asking to join?
If they havent invited you then you dont have to invite them, but what you are really saying is you are no longer friends imo. Your choice. You cna ofc talk to the other two as well.
Linnielizzie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by OR321)
I absolutely hate trio friendships 😂. It’s either 2 or 4 for me.
Lol, why four?
Trios can be toxic sometimes, I’ve experienced it. Talking behind each others backs like taking turns🙄🙂🤷🏻*♀️
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Linnielizzie)
Lol, why four?
Trios can be toxic sometimes, I’ve experienced it. Talking behind each others backs like taking turns🙄🙂🤷🏻*♀️
Because you can still be together but in twos (if you know what I mean). Plus I’m not, nor are my friends, the type of people to talk behind each other’s backs 👌😂 but I get your point
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Why don't you go out with just the friend who says they feel excluded?
Welshvisitor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How did the argument end? Perhaps she got the message. Ask the other two in your trio and tell them what happened.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (38)
26.03%
No (108)
73.97%

Watched Threads