How to get a grade 9 in gcse Spanish? Watch

Abster79293
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a crappy teacher and I have to teach myself basically everything. I’m aiming for a grade 9 in edexcel Spanish. Anyone got any “golden phrases” or general advice? Also for the speaking exam (my teacher is very baffed) how long should each answer to the questions be? Half a page long or short and pithy?
Advertisement
Thanoswashere
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi I’m doing gcse Spanish as well
I’ve been told that getting a grade 9 in Spanish is quite difficult - even for native speakers.

I’d suggest using apps like duolingo and having small vocabulary notes/books/flash cards which can be quite helpful when trying to remember certain words

Tenses are very important as well. I’d suggest at least learning one form of each tense since 3 different tenses will get you higher marks

A phrase that apparently impresses examiners is ‘Si fuera rica/o...’ meaning ‘If I were rich (or whatever you want to input instead of rich)...’

In the speaking exam we’ve been told to us the question in your answer.
E.g.
¿Cuál es tu comida favorita?
Mi comida favorita es...
redmeercat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hola!
Ok, so I don't speak Spanish, but I'm currently doing A level French and this is what I do/ did at GCSE for light, moderate and intense revision. Obviously, for GCSE you won't need to focus as much as you do for A level, but there are some things that you should try to do every day, and some that you can do every so often.

Light: (At least one of these most days, maybe whilst you walk to other places or as a warm-up to doing other revision)
- Listen to Spanish music. Even though you won't understand everything, it still helps you to tune your ear to the language. (Yu can also use the lyricstraining app!)
- Check the Spanish news...I check the English news every day anyway, so it's only really 2 more minutes for me to check the French news!
- Vocabulary on memrise and quizlet
- If you want to watch tv at any point, try a Spanish series. If you have netflix you can get a google chrome extension so that you have both the English and Spanish subtitles at the same time.

Moderate: I did this at least weekly at GCSE
- Go through, research and practise specific tenses. I now use a grammar workbook as well as the internet to help, but at GCSE my revision guide and the internet were enough. I'd do this for 1/2 an hour or so.
- Plan long-answer and photocard questions
- Talk to a penfriend (I use the hellotalk app, but there are plenty of ways to do this! Obviously using an app means that you have to be more careful what you talk about.)
- Watch series/ films without subtitles and take notes of the storyline, words to look up etc. Find a summary at the end and compare your notes!
- Read long-articles on the news and take note of new words. Try to work them out before looking them up!
- If you have a revision workbook or even a revision guide or textbook, do the exercises. I did ann English to French translation in Form time every morning in year 11. Exercises are quite short so you can do one, mark it and improve it within 15 mins

Intense: More closer to exams, but otherwise fortnightly or even every 3 weeks.
- Write long-answer practice questions
- Plan and discuss photocards either by yourself, with a friend or with a teacher.
- Do whole past-papers (timed or untimed depending on your aims)
- (more now than at GCSE, but there's no reason why you couldn't try) read texts and books and summarise them in Spanish.
Advertisement
holly6901
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I was lucky enough to have a Spanish friend on WhatsApp so I prepared for speaking by taking pictures of photocards and roleplays then recording myself answering. It helped my anxiety and my teacher actually said I sounded so confident
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.04%
They might tell the bully (27)
10%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
16.3%
It might lead to more bullying (99)
36.67%
There's nothing they could do (81)
30%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise